The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-16-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Help with a cooker for Rosarito Q

Folks I need a little help! I am going to be cooking the Rosarito Q in August, and had lined up Larry Hill's FEC 500 for use that weekend.... and unfortunately just found out it was in an accident... And will likely not be ready to use by August.

Does anyone have a cooker that they would let me use for the contest that weekend? Obviously I perfer pellet cookers... but I am wide open :)

We're really excited about heading out that way, But flying in is going to be key, as I dont have enough vacation to cover a drive with my gear in tow. It would essentially add 4-5 days to the trip.

Anyone have any ideas for me??

Unread 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #2
Bentley
Babbling Farker

We are competing or I would loan you the WholeHog and Memphis Pro, Lord knows they would perform better in your hands than ours...

It might help folks here in CA if they had a little more info..Are you flying into San Diego or TJ? I think a lot of folks are not going to have the passport or CA ID card to get back across the border and are either not going to take the effort to get one, or will wait to long and won't be able to...I know Henry who is promoting the event says he has left his passport at home and gotten accross the boarder with just a CA drivers license, but I think it is a different story for someone who goes to Baja Mexico several time a month and the person who may not have gone in a decade.

So, if a cooker could be arainged, can you take it in and bring it out? Or do you need it delivered to Rosarito? I know a team with a FEC 100, Whole Hog and a Traeger 075, just don't know how to get it there, or if they would be willing to loan it. Asking them if it could be borrowed is not an issue, getting it there and back is.
Certified Master Judge #5382

What is best in life? "To crush your BBQ opponents, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
Bentley is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-16-2010, 08:16 PM   #3
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley View Post
We are competing or I would loan you the WholeHog and Memphis Pro, Lord knows they would perform better in your hands than ours...

It might help folks here in CA if they had a little more info..Are you flying into San Diego or TJ?So, if a cooker could be arainged, can you take it in and bring it out? Or do you need it delivered to Rosarito? I know a team with a FEC 100, Whole Hog and a Traeger 075, just don't know how to get it there, or if they would be willing to loan it. Asking them if it could be borrowed is not an issue, getting it there and back is.
I dont know about performing better in my hands lol...
I am flying into SanDiego on Tuesday, and I have talked with Henry, and he said he could get us and any cookers across the border. But Kim and I both have the passport cards, so we should have no trouble going across the border and back. I have some friends that dirtbike down there, so I am sure i can find a truck to get across the border, or can rent one when I arrive. I would need it/them on Thurs, friday and sat, since I have agreed to teach a class on Thursday. I usually cook on a 100 and Whole Hog, but any combination would be great!!!

Unread 05-17-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

I'll help...oh wait wrong coast! lol

I'm sure someone can help out
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:35 AM   #5
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

Hola Ando,
I'm thinkin why not just buy a couple Weber kettles when you get there an see what Mr. Fancy Schmancy Super Cooker Dude can do with that!!!!
Vaya con Dios, my freind
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-17-2010, 06:10 PM   #6
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Hola Ando,
I'm thinkin why not just buy a couple Weber kettles when you get there an see what Mr. Fancy Schmancy Super Cooker Dude can do with that!!!!
Vaya con Dios, my freind
That is one options... If I have $1300 in travel though, I'd like a little more than a couple of kettles... but, done it before

Unread 05-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #7
ModelMaker
is One Chatty Farker

My biggest fear after I posted that was you would actually do it and make me grovel.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
jimbloomfield
Full Fledged Farker

I have a 22 inch WSM with either a stoker or bbq guru and a MAK grill. Only problem is I am 3 hours North from the border.
jimbloomfield is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-21-2010, 02:34 PM   #9
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

you can check out T & H prime meats www.tandhsausage.com they have great products and sell traegers they not sure but they might be able to help you out with something. but its a great place to get some great meat
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2010, 09:46 AM   #10
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Thanks! for the input guys!! I am trying to run down all options, so I will keep everyone posted.

I will look into T&H too... might just be the ticket for meat pickup after landing.

Unread 05-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Aren't EZ Grills made in Mexico?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
rooftop bbq
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoDeDo View Post
Thanks! for the input guys!! I am trying to run down all options, so I will keep everyone posted.

I will look into T&H too... might just be the ticket for meat pickup after landing.
he just asks teams to call in there order 10 days before so he can order what you want, if you could let him know we rooftop bbq recommend them to you that would be cool. see you south of the border good luck
rooftop bbq is offline   Reply With Quote