oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #1
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

Default Help with Beans for Texas Comps.

Allright fellas/ ladies,

Since I started competing about a year or so ago. We have done beans at 3-4 Comps and have not even come close to placing. My wifes pinto beans are outstanding. They are a Charro bean style. With, pork salt, tomato, onion, peppers ect. in them. They are awesome, everyone on the team loves em. We just cant place with them. Could it be the cilantro that is keeping us from getting a call? We love cilantro, evidently from what I've heard alot of folks don't. I have tasted a few bean turn ins that have placed. and needless to say they taste like ranch style beans or just plain ol pintos.We seperate out all the vegatables and such before turn in, so I know they are getting DQ'ed..
Any Advice?

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 08:08 AM   #2
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would leave out the cilantro. People either love it or hate it. From what I've heard, the plain ole pintos are what usually win. That's why we stopped doing beans. Now more time to socialize and deal with the meats.
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 08:15 AM   #3
FatDaddy
is One Chatty Farker

That is what I am leaning towards. We are makin a batch right now to go with the brisket. She only added 2 TBS of seasoning to the pot. I tossed in another 2 TBS, I think there needs to be alittle more seasoning to em to get em to stand out. I think once they get close to being done and the cilantro going in, Im gonna split some off into another pot and leave out the cilantro and have some friends taste test em and see which they like better.

Home made 5' reverse flow smoker
Lg BGE
WSM 18.5
WSM 22.5
Weber Kettle 22 1/2" silver series
Weber Copper Smokey Joe Gold 14.5"
GPS trackable RED super fast thermopen

http://www.facebook.com/jtempleton2

FatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote