The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Old 05-20-2010, 02:03 PM   #76
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Man those potatoes look awesome!

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:05 PM   #77
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Default Rootatouille Pie!

My Throwdown entry: Rootatouille Pie on the UDS.
Here is the line up: Sliced Baby Red potatoes, sliced sweet potatoes, sliced carrots, 1 medium red onion, garlic, olive oil, oregano, thyme, and black pepper.

Started off by placing a foil sheet on a pizza pan. Then on went a spiraling layer of baby red potato slices.

Then did a layer of sweet potato slices in a spiral as well.

More olive oil was drizzled over the sweet potatoes. (If I were to make this again, at this point I would put some brown sugar on as well.) Then went on a layer of carrots followed by a little more olive oil and the spices with some more garlic.

Then half onion slice went on to the top and off to the UDS we went.

The UDS was chugging away at about 300 with hickory wood smoke as the sun was setting.

When I brought it in, I decided to to slice it up like a pizza and serve it up in wedges. (please use this pic as my Throwdown entry.)

It was a truly unique taste experience. All the layers were unique and brought their own essence to the party, the carrots on top soaked up the smoke flavor, the sweet potato brought the sweetness, and the potatoes blended so well with the garlic and olive oil. Truly great. As I said before the only change I would make would be to put brown sugar on the sweet potato layer. I plan on making this again most definitely.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #78
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dang Butz! That's inventive.
Oh, looks pretty tasty too.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #79
deguerre

Annnnnnnd...I can't believe anyone didn't jump on this one.

Bob Brisket has a small "carrot" y'all!
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
Old 05-20-2010, 03:37 PM   #80
deguerre

And E-Code...loves me some carrot cake. How come no grated ginger in the icing though?
Old 05-20-2010, 03:41 PM   #81
deguerre

And King and Fatty Mac? Got me writing those down too.

Gore! I thought the squirrel looked more like the Green Hornet, not a racoon. Eh? Have you equaled my chicken salad with your peanut butter?
Old 05-20-2010, 07:31 PM   #82
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Great entries so far. Thanks for the mouth watering shots so far!!!
Old 05-20-2010, 09:00 PM   #83
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Lot's of great entries. I guess I need a more intimidating squirrel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T_BBQ View Post
The Varmint shall see it's challenge today when last nights dinner is thrown down

That varmint has been ready and waiting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_T_BBQ View Post
You can't tease us like that
Sorry, I was wondering who might've caught that one. I'm hoping to persuade Chris to post these on Thursday evenings so that we have a night to think about them before we go shopping on Friday and cook on the first weekend. He did this for "fried" and I liked it. I'll give you a hint -- no, it's not a haggis throwdown: you could submit haggis, but if you live in Scotland it would probably be disqualified.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 09:09 PM   #84
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Gore! I thought the squirrel looked more like the Green Hornet, not a racoon. Eh? Have you equaled my chicken salad with your peanut butter?
Guerry, was it that obvious what I was going for? I thought I disguised it pretty well, but I think there's just no equaling your chicken salad. Are you going to submit potato salad sandwiches this go-round?

We missed you last week. Alan could've used your help. Team Husbands hasn't been faring too well against Team Wives.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 PM   #85
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Got my arse handed to me by Amber this week.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-20-2010, 11:39 PM   #86
bigabyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
I'm hoping to persuade Chris to post these on Thursday evenings so that we have a night to think about them before we go shopping on Friday and cook on the first weekend. He did this for "fried" and I liked it. I'll give you a hint -- no, it's not a haggis throwdown: you could submit haggis, but if you live in Scotland it would probably be disqualified.
Great idea, I'll go post it now!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 07:23 AM   #87
deguerre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
Got my arse handed to me by Amber this week.
Me too last week by Redhot.
Old 05-21-2010, 07:56 AM   #88
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Rootatoottoot...lookin good BigButz...
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-21-2010, 08:10 AM   #89
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Smoker View Post
Rootatoottoot...lookin good BigButz...
Thank you, thank you very much!

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA:becky:, 22.5 OTG:thumb:, mUDS:drama:, 2 UDS:cool: w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, 2 pull behind rigs The Beast :twisted:, & the new White Shadow :hail: :twisted:

Inventor of[B]:[/B][COLOR=black] [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1273411&postcount=1"][B]3BGB![/B][/URL][B] , [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1284334&postcount=1"][B]Shigen![/B][/URL][B] , & [/B][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1387858&postcount=1"][B]Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae![/B][/URL][/COLOR]
:hail:Avatar by Zydecopaws:hail:
[B][URL="http://BigButzBBQSauce.net"]Big Butz BBQ Products [/URL][/B]
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:13 PM   #90
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Default My Root Entry

Oh what a time I had with this one. As usual I decided to just wing it. And use as many roots that I could find.

There is no name for this but Bingo absolutely loved it, Penny too.

And they would tell me if they didn't like it.

First, most of the stuff. Beets, Onions, (two kinds), Chicken Qtrs. Carrots, Potatoes, well you get the idea.

I rubbed the bird with my own recipe and then scored the onions like a wagon wheel, added some Yardbird and butter. Wrapped them in foil. Put the rest of the roots in a pan with some Olive Oil.

Then on to the Bandera. The Chicken was done first so I took it off and pulled it. Then added just a little Sweet Baby Ray's to keep it moist.

Then the Onions and Garlic. Garlic will be used as a spread for something else. But I think its a root.

When the Beets were done, I peeled and sliced them. Added Yardbird and then grilled them with some butter. Yummy.

This was all put on a platter with a bed of spinach greens, with the pulled chicken in the middle, the grilled onions on the chicken and the carrots, beets and taters around the outside.

Chris, please use this photo.

By this time, Sharon was just walking through the door. Honey, what smells so good in here. Then she saw the plate. Wow, you do have an entry for the throwdown.

I served it up, and I have to say that this was one of my better creations!

Beets and onions are now among Bingo's favorites, Penny just eats whatever Bingo does so she is not left out.

Good luck to everyone!

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->

Tags
off-route, Root Cause Analysis, Thowdown Entry Thread, Throwdown, Underground cooking scene