MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #1
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Default How to smoke chuck?

Trying my first decent chuck (chusck) roasts tomorrow. Can you probe these and if so do std wrapping and done temps apply.

Any other hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2004, 05:26 PM   #2
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Season it up and treat it like a brisket. Chuck has plenty of fat and connective tissue so be patient with it. I'd recommend "pulling" it like a pork butt :D

It should cook a bit faster and will absolutely fall apart!

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Shoulda said up front. About 3.5# each.

Dave, thanks. Nice to see you.

Old 06-12-2004, 09:09 PM   #4
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Phils chusck roasts are like a brisket, 165, wrap, 190, cooler

Awesome

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2004, 10:40 PM   #5
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

yup.. just like a brisket...... everything the same...

Also,.. get an extra one.. smoke it for about 4-5-6 hours, then take it off. Cube it and use it in chile. simmer it for another 2-3 hours.. Makes great chile. Can even freeze it up after smokin it for a while and use it next itme your making the chile.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2004, 11:30 PM   #6
Solidkick

I absolutely have no luck with a chusck roast. I've tried several methods, even marinading and it just doesn't turn out tender.
My hat is off to you guys that can smoke beef. Give me pig or chicken parts and I'll smoke with the best of ya, but that friggin' beef whoops my a$$ everytime.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2004, 12:07 PM   #7
chad

Quote:
I'll smoke with the best of ya, but that friggin' beef whoops my a$$ everytime.
Patience, grasshopper! :D

Low, slow, foil, and a good thermometer.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2004, 04:03 PM   #8
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Here's what they looked like at noon just before going in. Haven't used this picture method before so if theres no pic its because it was farked. I'll try and fix it later.

Old 06-13-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
rusold
On the road to being a farker

KC

I don't think you have enough thermoters

and is this the uh gas "assist" rig (Nice looking anyway)? my wife saw so many of them on FoodTV she wants me to do it to the Bandera so I don't have to fark around so much trying to keep it at 230

R

Old 06-13-2004, 05:14 PM   #10
Cuelio
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a Cimarron also, and the 'gas assist', from my experience, is absolutely no good for keeping temps. The fire comes out nice and ORANGE, which means serious creosote issues. Unless I'm ready to toss the meat, I would not use the "Log Lighter" for anything but firein' her up.

KC, you've got the 'Deluxe' - very nice!
Outers electric cold smoker
Lump in the soles of my shoes

My avatar is M-57 the "Smoke Ring nebula", in memory of "e".
Cuelio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2004, 05:20 PM   #11
Solidkick

I like them themos just fine! I can see where you wouldn't trust the factory installed one, looks like it sets way high. Where'd you get that neat little box for them to be shaded from the sun?? I could use one of those, except it would need room to hold 6 thermos.

Nice rig! Look forward to you cookin' supper some time! ;)

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2004, 06:02 PM   #12
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Where'd you get that neat little box for them to be shaded from the sun?? I could use one of those, except it would need room to hold 6 thermos.
Mr. Kick--
I have a Mod in process for the top of my new Bandi Smoke Box. Simple little sheet metal thing that mounts on the top in front of the smoke outlet and would hold 5 or 6 digitals. I did not think of a sun-shade! Need to add that to the design. Should be simple and only slow me down a month or so the way I go I'll post a pic if I ever get it to that point.
Scott--
That is one "clean looking rig". Maybe the rain will let up and you can burn it up a bit
Or, do you keep it that way all the time?
A "smokeless" weekend for me- family commitments :( OH WELL.
TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-13-2004, 06:13 PM   #13
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
and is this the uh gas "assist" rig (Nice looking anyway)?
R, as Cue'lio pointed out its a log lighter and in the top photo you can actually see the lighter bar between the therms and the stack. I remove it when lighting is over so as not to wear it out prematurely or fill the jets with ash.

Quote:
I can see where you wouldn't trust the factory installed one,
Bro Kick, I've read a lot about moving the therm in other forums. I think this must apply more to the lighter gage Brinkmanns. Either by function or by being correctly inaccurate it only reads 5 degrees less than a oven therm or digital at the grate. That box is just something that was lying around the shop. Actually it was the firebox on a model of the smoker I hope to have built. It would work better if I lined the back of it with metal so the magnets could be utilized.

My favorite new toy not pictured is the digital video camera the pix were taken with. I had heard that the still function on these wasn't much. It might not work good for prints but it sure is convenient for posting on the site. No resize mod necessary and decent enough quality, although it will take stills at a higher quality setting. Special word of thanks to Brother jt for helping me pick out a good one.

Old 06-13-2004, 06:22 PM   #14
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Quote:
That is one "clean looking rig". Maybe the rain will let up and you can burn it up a bit
Or, do you keep it that way all the time?
Tim you posted while I was typing. Got a reprieve on the rain for the afternoon so I let the fire fly. Only the 3rd cook on Rosie but I do try to keep both cookers as close to new as I can. I had to wear the p***y hat way to long to get my gear to not maintain it (and I'm too poor to buy stuff twice). I oil any dry spots before I cook and hit any after while its still warm. No rust spots on the BSKD either. A few scratches from scooting wood on top of the fire box and some fuzzies from the cover that Solidkick wouldn't like other than that it looks pretty good too.

Old 06-13-2004, 07:02 PM   #15
rusold
On the road to being a farker

KC,

That really does look great - I am the messiest (sp) person in the world so you would have real problems with my patio and the Bandera.

Do you keep the inside as clean - cause another thing I noticed on FoodTVs BBQ weekend - no one seems to ever clean their grills or cookers - I saw stuff that had to have been there for years and years

R