The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-20-2010, 04:24 PM   #16
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Looks Good! Are your inner and outer skins 3/16" steel?
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #17
mwells32
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly-QueMaster View Post
What size angle iron did you use for your cooking rack runners? Also did you frame out your cooking racks using steel tubing? What size?

We used 1.5 inch for the runners. Overkill probably, but that isnt a spot that I want the steel to fail. Yeah, we built the racks out of 1 inch tube. I was afraid that the angle would sag since we are spanning 4 feet across. I was planning on bracing it, but I can sit on this rack with very little sagging. They are stout.
mwells32 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2010, 04:39 PM   #18
mwells32

Quote:
Originally Posted by worthsmokin View Post
Looks Good! Are your inner and outer skins 3/16" steel?

Inner skins are 16 ga. The outers are going to 18 ga powder coated aluminum. My buddy races IMCA modifieds and that is what they use for the outer body of the car. Plus you can get it any color you want. WE are going to do the body in black and the door in brushed chrome.

Unread 05-20-2010, 08:50 PM   #19
worthsmokin
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwells32 View Post
Inner skins are 16 ga. The outers are going to 18 ga powder coated aluminum. My buddy races IMCA modifieds and that is what they use for the outer body of the car. Plus you can get it any color you want. WE are going to do the body in black and the door in brushed chrome.
Thanks.
You are not holding back. I can't wait to see the finished product.

Tyler
worthsmokin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-20-2010, 09:17 PM   #20
mwells32

We go big in Texas.

Unread 05-22-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
mwells32

No new pics, but I did make some progress. I got the door frames built and hung. I did the skin for the ash box door. I also finished the racks. I capped the top witrh angle iron. I think it makes it look a little better. It definitely made them more stout. I'm headed back out in the morning to try and get everything close to done. Gotta finish the door skins, put on the gasket, then cut the outer skins. I should have insulation by Wednesday at the latest. Then I can get it insulated and button up teh outer skin. On schedule to cook for Memorial Day!!!
I'll also take some detailed pics tomorro and post them up.

Unread 05-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #22
mwells32

We got some more done yesterday. And I took a bunch of detail pics, and then of course I left the camera at the shop. So I just have this one from my phone.

You can see we got the therms mounted, and the handle put on. I did some painting on the parts that will be exposed after we skin it. We also got the outside skin cut and broke, so as soon as we get insulation we can have that part buttoned up. We are going today to pick up a couple more peices for the top and bottom and the brushed piece for the door. We did run a test fire to check for leaks and found a couple. But a quick shot with the welder and those are fixed. It came up to about 215-225 at about the hour mark, but we could only get it up to about 250 with the ash box door cracked. Is this normal without insulation? There was a bunch of heat coming off the firebox, and it was heating very evenly. I am hoping that when we get the insulation in that it acts the way I think it is supposed to.
I did add a coupel of things that I have never seen on builds before. We did a little slide baffle iside the top, so if I need to it I can baffle the exhaust down. Dont know if I will ever use it, but it would sure be easier to put it on now rather than later. We also put an extra set of runners under the cooker. Instead of putting a shelf like I have seen some do, we just ran some angel iron so you can put an cooking grate uder there if you dont need it. I think it works better than leaning it up against the side of the house.

Unread 05-24-2010, 07:05 AM   #23
Sean "Puffy" Coals
is one Smokin' Farker

very cool.

Unread 05-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #24
mwells32

Almost finished. We got most of the outside skins on. I still have to do the doors and the top, but it is definitely taking shape. I am very happy with the way it is coming along. I am headed back out this morning to try and get it finished up. If everything goes well, she will be home tonight.

Unread 05-27-2010, 08:18 AM   #25
Bama Q
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 2

Hi
I would like to ask what kind of insulation you are using? Looks nice, working on a similar project.
Thanks
Big Jim
Bama Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2010, 10:08 AM   #26
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

^^^^ What he said ^^^
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-27-2010, 10:54 AM   #27
mwells32

I am using mineral wool insulation. It comes in 2x4 sheets in just about whatever thickness you want. I am using the 2 inch stuff. It cost me about 75 cents a square foot at spi. There was a distributor in Austin which isn't far for me so I just went and picked it up.

Unread 05-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #28
antoant
Knows what a fatty is.

Cool build. How are you mounting the aluminum skin to the rest of the smoker? Rivets?
antoant is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #29
mwells32

Yeah, we used rivets for the outside.

Unread 05-28-2010, 06:53 AM   #30
mwells32

She is finished and home. Here is a final pic and a link to some others. This was a blast to build, and there is now way I could have done it without the help and inspiration from those here. Now, excuse me while I go play with my new toy.

And here is s a link to the album with some different pics. And for those out there planning a build, all I can say is get going. That first step is the hardest.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/d...moker%20Build/

Thanks from:--->

Tags
clone, Stump's