喂我西摩
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ > For the Board

Notices

For the Board *On Topic Only* Strictly moderated. NO BAD KARMA! This forum is for questions and discussions you would like reviewed by members of the KCBS(or other BBQ orgs) Board of Directors. A clean and direct place where they do not have to wade thru day to day chatter.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #31
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Let's look at reasons why a person would be asked to resign. In this case the person was a REP, CBJ instructor and BOD member. If the problem was an issue of conduct as a BOD member then only the BOD could ask for a resignation and my understanding is that is not what happened as they would have needed an executive session vote followed by a request in writing. And if I understand it correctly the BOD can not vote another BOD member out.

However if it's a problem with the other 2 roles then it's up to the office to review that and handle complaints. Then if there's a major problem the individual could be stripped of credentials for either or both role. The person could fight this action if they chose. And there could have been pressure to resign from the BOD based on the problems and actions taken against the individual. This way it all remains private unless the individual chooses to make details public and even then it's just she said/she said.

Bottom line is the individual chose to resign and they could have refused to submit a letter of resignation. Couldn't do anything about the other roles as that's not a BOD issue or election issue. The BOD lost a key member and a region lost representation. And that's a region that has experienced conflict with the KCBS in the past and probably will be again.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2010, 07:36 AM   #32
ThomEmery
Babbling Farker

Good summary

Team What Wood Jesus Que?

Www.bbqthom.com
ThomEmery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #33
White Dog BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

VERY unfortunate. I know nothing about what happened, but I have always appreciated the work Linda and Jerry have done as reps and CBJ instructors.

This leaves a big hole in the Northeast.

1x 14.5" WSM
1x 18" WSM
1x Red Weber Performer
1x Blue Weber Performer
1x Weber 22.5" OneTouch Silver
1x Weber Genesis Silver B
White Dog BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #34
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post
VERY unfortunate. I know nothing about what happened, but I have always appreciated the work Linda and Jerry have done as reps and CBJ instructors.

Boy is that an understatement!
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:41 AM   #35
lunchlady
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Dog BBQ View Post

you aint sh*ttin'...

...even though Linda and I have had differences in the past, I am deeply saddened, and more than a little confused by all this... how does someone who was recently nominated for PRESIDENT suddenly 'walk away'?

Although, I DO get it... repeatedly pissin' into the wind leaves a bad taste and a desire to get out of the way...

THANK YOU LINDA, and Jerry, for all you've accomplished, and also for all you tried to do... best of luck at the restaurant!
[URL="http://www.nebs.org"][I][FONT=Century Gothic]www.nebs.org[/FONT][/I][/URL]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]2 Backwoods Partys [/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]WSM, 2 Weber kettles, Weber Performer[/FONT][/I]
[I][FONT=Century Gothic]Large BGE[/FONT][/I]
lunchlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 09:53 AM   #36
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

For the record, it seems I have inadvertently stirred up some ch*t and I don't much care for all the misunderstanding that is going on. As a board member, I have no knowledge of any other board member being asked to resign. This is not true, this did not happen, put it away.

It was not my intention though it was the end result that any other board member be slammed by anyone else for actions taken at the February meeting. There are worse things (and far more important matters) for the board to deal with than wrestling with how or if to fill an empty seat. 8 months is a long time, but it's not forever.

It was a honor to serve on the board with Linda and I will miss her. I wish nothing but success to her and her family in every endeavor. Times are hard, folks, and doing what we do at any level, whether judge, rep or cook, is expensive in time and money.

I have nothing but respect and affection for EVERYONE who serves on the board of KCBS. It's a thankless job. EVERY ONE of us serves out of love of barbeque and thank goodness, we are not all alike! Each of us brings different strengths to the board table and it makes KCBS a stronger organization for it.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-13-2010, 10:00 AM   #37
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I hate to fight this battle again...As the lone newbie on the board, I was NOT allowed to make or second motions in February. The minutes were rewritten to reflect that Merl made the motion and Don seconded. It is my personal opinion that leaving a seat vacant for this long a period (8 months) may be a mistake. This topic was not addressed at all in this evenings board meeting. Listen to the podcast!

This is false and those who posted it know it. I will not debate it here, but take this matter to the Board. You know that my motion was as follows, which I still believe would have been the best policy: (from the agenda for February 5th.)

Policy for the replace of Members of the Board. by Merl Whitebook

In the event during the term of any board member, their position becomes open, then we should have a policy in place. The following policy is recommended.

If a member of the board ceases to serve in the capacity as a member of the Board, during an unexpired term, then the board shall fill the vacancy in the following manner:

1. KCBS shall announce the vacancy and accept nominations to fill the position.
2. Nominations shall close 10 days prior to the next Board meeting.
3. Candidates will have 5 days to complete the election questionnaire and submit to the Board along with any other materials which they desire to submit to the Board.
4. Candidates will be allowed up to 5 minutes to present themselves in person or by phone at the next Board Meeting.
5. Board members may ask questions to the candidates.
6 Unless all members of the board are attending in person, the vote shall be by roll call oral vote.
7. In the event of a tie, the president shall cast the deciding vote.

Now others who posted here can say what they want. But the truth is out there. I was the only member of the Board who voted against the motion that was passed. I do not think it was the best policy. If my policy had not been objected to by a member of the board then Jeff very likely would be on the Board next month.

Since there was only one no vote, I guess you will have ask the other members of the Board how they voted.

Folks, I am not going to be thrown under the bus for the fun of a few members of the forum who have posted. Look at the facts and then make an informed decision.

Thank you for reading this.
Merl

Moderator: I understand if this is out of line and you have to remove it. But I should not have to have lies said about me any more. I am trying to state the facts which are in the record only.

Last edited by Merl; 05-13-2010 at 10:21 AM..
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:18 AM   #38
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I for one will certainly be reviewing the recordings of the BoD meetings. It is only through that sort of transparency that we the members can determine for ourselves what the Truth is in these type of conflicts.

Thank you to everyone who helped to add this "check & balance" to the KCBS governance.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 10:19 AM   #39
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
I hate to fight this battle again...As the lone newbie on the board, I was NOT allowed to make or second motions in February. The minutes were rewritten to reflect that Merl made the motion and Don seconded. It is my personal opinion that leaving a seat vacant for this long a period (8 months) may be a mistake. This topic was not addressed at all in this evenings board meeting. Listen to the podcast!
Sorry, Candy. I looked through the minutes posted on the KCBS Website and this is what I found. Since there was speculation about the 5th vote getter replacing the resigning BOD member, I posted it. I pulled it from www.kcbs.us. If it is wrong... I don't know.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #40
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
This is false and those who posted it know it. I will not debate it here, but take this matter to the Board. You know that my motion was as follows, which I still believe would have been the best policy: (from the agenda for February 5th.)

<edited> Folks, I am not going to be thrown under the bus for the fun of a few members of the forum who have posted. Look at the facts and then make an informed decision.

Thank you for reading this.
Merl

Moderator: I understand if this is out of line and you have to remove it. But I should not have to have lies said about me any more. I am trying to state the facts which are in the record only.
Merl, nobody likes being called a liar. Since you quoted me above your post, the logical assumption is that you are calling me a liar. I am not an attorney, I do not threaten anyone with libel, slander or any other litigiousness. I do have the right to stand up for myself and state that I AM NOT A LIAR! Thank goodness we do have podcasts so that our members can see how board meetings flow, if they have the patience to listen it through. You can spin this and manipulate this however you want to, but the truth will always prevail. The podcast is a live recording.

Merl, I like you and respect you and I'm not lying about that either.
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-13-2010, 11:02 AM   #41
moocow
is One Chatty Farker

I was one of the people pushing for the pod-casts, I guess I did not know what I was actually asking for. I was asking so I could be informed about what was going on and all I seem to get now is pissed off after listening to a bunch of adults behave like children. I have not heard last nights Pod-cast yet and I hope it is not more of the same. Hell, after reading all of this I would not be surprised if there was an emergency meeting today to block the release of the pod-cast so we could not hear what actually happened. I have only been a member for 4 years so I am pretty new to this game but I would consider myself a proud member of the KCBS and it hurts a little to hear all of this. I won't claim to know who is right and who is wrong or who is telling the truth and who is not but this needs to stop! In my oppinion we already have our next replacement BOD member. Its Jeff because any way you look at it he got the next highest amount of votes! He has already been voted in by the members. I must admit he is a friend of mine but I would feel the same way if it was not him.
-www.moocowbbq.com-
-Home of the Make it Take it Drum Class-
-kCBS/ CBJ-
- Stoker powered stainless steel cabinet smoker-Mini & 3 Regular UDS-BLUE Weber OTG-Saffire ceramic grill-26" plow disc-Green mountain pellet -16' Stealth Competition trailer-
moocow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:22 AM   #42
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Merl, nobody likes being called a liar. Since you quoted me above your post, the logical assumption is that you are calling me a liar. I am not an attorney, I do not threaten anyone with libel, slander or any other litigiousness. I do have the right to stand up for myself and state that I AM NOT A LIAR! Thank goodness we do have podcasts so that our members can see how board meetings flow, if they have the patience to listen it through. You can spin this and manipulate this however you want to, but the truth will always prevail. The podcast is a live recording.

Merl, I like you and respect you and I'm not lying about that either.
Since you choose to again call me out, and you began this post please affirm or deny the following:

1. That my motion was as posted on the agenda and on this site from February 5. (nothing close to what was passed and probably would have resulted in Jeff being on the board next month.)

2. That you opposed my motion.
3. That you made suggestions to the board that ultimately lead to the the policy of the board for replacement of board members.
4. That you voted yes for the current policy.
5. That I voted no.

Awaiting your frank response, since you want to debate this issue here and not in the board room where it should be discussed.

Thank you
Merl

Moderater: Again I cannot let this go. I will not allow my integrety to not be defended when false accusations are being made. If I need to be banned, then so be it. But I will respond when questioned.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:27 AM   #43
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by moocow View Post
I was one of the people pushing for the pod-casts, I guess I did not know what I was actually asking for. I was asking so I could be informed about what was going on and all I seem to get now is pissed off after listening to a bunch of adults behave like children. I have not heard last nights Pod-cast yet and I hope it is not more of the same. Hell, after reading all of this I would not be surprised if there was an emergency meeting today to block the release of the pod-cast so we could not hear what actually happened. I have only been a member for 4 years so I am pretty new to this game but I would consider myself a proud member of the KCBS and it hurts a little to hear all of this. I won't claim to know who is right and who is wrong or who is telling the truth and who is not but this needs to stop! In my oppinion we already have our next replacement BOD member. Its Jeff because any way you look at it he got the next highest amount of votes! He has already been voted in by the members. I must admit he is a friend of mine but I would feel the same way if it was not him.

Well said Shane I have to agree!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 11:30 AM   #44
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I do not care to respond here about this any further. I hope you have a great day!
Old 05-13-2010, 11:33 AM   #45
WannaBeBBQueen
is Blowin Smoke!

So where can I find the podcast when it's released?
KCBS Member
KCBS CBJ
Charbroil Bandera
Charbroil Silver Smoker/Grill
Weber Kettle 18 & 26
WSM 18 1/2
Kamado 18"
FEC 100

http://www.myspace.com/wannabebbqueen
http://www.tripadvisor.com/members/JMBred

*the views of the user Skip (The Prince Consort) do not necessarily reflect those of WannaBeBBQueen...lol
WannaBeBBQueen is offline   Reply With Quote