The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 05-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #1
baldbill
Full Fledged Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default pricing question

I had a friend approach me asking how much I would charge to smoke 100 butts for a little leaque fundraiser. He advised that they would buy the meat. All I would have to do is make the rub etc and cook them for them. They will transport/pickup when done. What would be a fair price for such a venture. Thanks for any input!
baldbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-09-2010, 05:16 PM   #2
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

What are you smoking with?

How many can you do at one time?

Can you store 100 uncooked butts safely?

Can you store 100 cooked butts safely?

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-09-2010, 05:59 PM   #3
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Are they going to buy the meat and bring it to you or are they going to pay you for the meat that you purchase? When others buy meat you are at risk because of holding time and temp. Also, what happens to the butt when you finish smoking them? Are they going to pull and make sandwiches or sell whole? You need control of the product from purchase to consumption. Most people don't know anything about food borne illnesses and proper holding temps etc. If you are in for an ounce you are in for a pound. I would do everything, be reimbursed for expenses and do the cooking as a donation. Great PR for all the parents and I bet you book a few catering jobs because of your generosity and if not, you did a great service for the community. Make sure everyone gets a business card and a flyer about your catering business and also make sure they all know you did this as a donation.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-14-2010, 12:46 AM   #4
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Sounds about right PorkQpine. Don't forget your wood expenses
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-14-2010, 01:10 AM   #5
Chuckwagonbbqco
Take a breath!

I shy away from things like this---but you said the word "friend" and the phrase "Little League." I try to support friends and Little League and would probably do something like this, although I would control the path that the meat takes from purchase until served.

I usually charge a BBQ Pit rental fee, which includes transportation and set up of the BBQ pit. I charge a BBQ pit fuel fee, a spice fee, and I charge an hourly price for my services.

If I feel good enough about the event ---I rent them the pit-charge for BBQ pit fuel and spices,and donate my labor. On the invoice print out every single thing that you have supplied and mark what you donate "No Charge" They need to know in writing what you have done or they do not appreciate it. The pit cost you money-the spices cost you money and the fuel cost you money---do not donate anything that you have paid for unless you are in love with the event.

What you are worth getting paid hourly is up to you--it usually revolves around what you usually make on a normal work day.
Chuckwagonbbqco is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #6
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Answers above are Nuff said!

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314