The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Unread 05-06-2010, 12:48 PM   #1
BBQCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Defrosting a turkey for Mother's Day

I've got a 13 pounder, frozen solid, now sitting in my refrigerator. I want to cook it Sunday for family. Will probably use my Webber kettle; thinking beer-can but maybe spatchcock method is the way to go. Anyway, what's safest way for me to defrost this thing in time to prep it Saturday night? Thanks boys.
-Weber Smokey Joe Gold
-Jenn-Air Gas
BBQCookin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-06-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
Smoke & Beers
is One Chatty Farker

The safest way is probably the way you are doing it now. I think you can put it in a tub of water too...or the sink...just make sure it is sanitized.
I did 2 birds this past Thanksgiving and used a turkey cannon on one and the Spatchcock method on the other and everyone thought the Spatchcock was better hands down. They were both Butterballs, both the same size and bought at the same time...
Weber One Touch Gold & a Weber 22 1/2" Silver
Traeger Jr
2 UDS's Born 9-19-08 & 3-6-09
Weber Smokey Joe Platinum
[COLOR=red][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR][B] RED THERMAPEN[/B][/COLOR]

"If you got them by the MOINK balls, their hearts and minds will follow" -John Wayne
Smoke & Beers is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
wannchef
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Thawing Turkeys

I will be thawing 6 turkeys for an event in a couple of weeks using the cooler/water method. I put them unwrapped (unbroken wrapper) into the cooler cover with cold water and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes then drain the water and repeat until it is thawed. This can take awhile (~30 min/lb) and you must not let the water get all the way to room temperature (40 degree is ideal). If this will take overnight place ice in the cooler when you go to bed and start over in the morning. Store in the refrigerator when thawed. Bring to room temperature before cooking. (about and hour depending on the weather)

HTH
wannchef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:58 AM   #4
BBQCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannchef View Post
I will be thawing 6 turkeys for an event in a couple of weeks using the cooler/water method. I put them unwrapped (unbroken wrapper) into the cooler cover with cold water and let it sit for about 30-45 minutes then drain the water and repeat until it is thawed. This can take awhile (~30 min/lb) and you must not let the water get all the way to room temperature (40 degree is ideal). If this will take overnight place ice in the cooler when you go to bed and start over in the morning. Store in the refrigerator when thawed. Bring to room temperature before cooking. (about and hour depending on the weather)

HTH
Wannchef, if I start this process, should I continue it, or at some point, can I put it back into the refrigerator? I'm thinking I do this tonite for a few hours and then overnight it back in the fridge. Also, by "unwrapped," do you mean I should take the plastic wrapping it came in off, or simply leave that on but don't wrap it with anything else?
-Weber Smokey Joe Gold
-Jenn-Air Gas

Unread 05-07-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
wannchef
Knows what a fatty is.

No do not remove the wraper. I didn't mean take it off I meant definitely leave it on with no holes in it. Yes you can put it back in the refrigerator overnight. I usually just ice it down though since it should stay below 40 degrees in the cooler.
Weber 22.5 Grill, La Caja China #2, Brinkmann Offset Smoker

Unread 05-10-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
BBQCookin
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannchef View Post
No do not remove the wraper. I didn't mean take it off I meant definitely leave it on with no holes in it. Yes you can put it back in the refrigerator overnight. I usually just ice it down though since it should stay below 40 degrees in the cooler.
Got the bird defrosted in time, thanks! Butterflyed and direct grilled with some cherrywood a fellow Brethern dropped off: mom and rest of family loved it!
-Weber Smokey Joe Gold
-Jenn-Air Gas

Unread 05-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #7
wannchef
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm so glad it worked out for you.
Weber 22.5 Grill, La Caja China #2, Brinkmann Offset Smoker