San Diego restaurants - BBQ and other

cds9333

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I am being sent to SD for a week of training in mid-June. I would like to hit good places to eat the five nights I am there. I will be on the bay near Coronado and would need a taxi to go anywhere distant.

Right now I am planning on Anthonys Fish Grotto and Rubios, as suggested from a former resident of the neighborhood. Any good places that anyone can recommend? (would like to sneak up to Big Mista, but don't think the boss would like that taxi bill) Thank you all.

EDIT: Also, any good stores that I should hit up for local spices/blends or sauces?

Hi,

Very good BBQ at Phil's BBQ on Sports Arena Blvd. Awesome authentic Mexican food at Las Cuatro Milpas right across the bridge from Coronado on Logan Ave. in Barrio Logan. They are only open for lunch, but well worth the short ride from Coronado. If you are a burger fan, try the Burger Lounge on Orange Ave in Coronado. For a good Italian dinner try Primavera Ristorante also on Orange Ave. in Coronado. The Brigantine, also in Coronado has good seafood including fish tacos. I hope this helps.

Regards,
BorderBrewer

What Border Brewer said, plus Miguels (Mexican Food)next to Brigantine on Orange Ave (Coronado). Go to McP's for a brew and burger (Orange Ave.) north 2 blocks, and thank the Navy SEALS there for their service. There's really no bbq joint in SD you should spend cab fare to eat at.

Spices

Missed the spices. I make my own chili powder from dried chile's, so I get them at a local Mexican Market, as well as the below market/restaurant supply:
Smart & Final‎ 720 15th Street, San Diego, CA 92101-7320(619) 239-3377‎ smartandfinal.com.
Huge selection. I use anchos, cascabel or guajillo, arbols, cumin seeds, oregano and paprika. Already ground containers of chipotle, granulated and powdered garlic, onion powder, etc. Many other dried chile's as well. Stock up.
Another option is the area around Las Quatro Milpas Mexican restaurant, near 16th and Caesar Chavez Pkwy below the SD side of the Coronado bridge. There will be a Mexican market there in the barrio that will have packages of the same dried chile's. Go there for lunch and ask the girl at the register.
One more place to eat is the Coronado Brewing Co. Orange Ave. north of Fourth. Have a good stay.:-D

Back