The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Unread 05-04-2010, 04:18 PM   #1
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Need some help please.

Our local Sams club has hired us for a 6 week Childrens MIracle Network fundraisers. They are providing all the meat(Butts),charcoal,spices for our rubs and sauces. They will be selling pulled pork sandwichs for the fundraiser and they want us to do all the cooking and have given us the full run of putting our name out and selling UDS's. My question is they want to pay us for the cooking and time spent on weekends How do I figure what to charge them? This is a great opportunity for 57 Smokehouse and I want to do it right. Thanks Alan
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #2
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Wish I had useful advice Alan but still, congratulations on this opportunity!
deguerre is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

All your charging for is labor?

How much are you worth per hour doing something that you love?
Northern midwest director for OBR
www.operationbbqrelief.com
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:39 PM   #4
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Congratulations! Sorry, no help with your question though!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 05:46 AM   #5
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Zero or Min wage if they insist ..You'll benefit enough from having your name attached...
Gone brick n mortar
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 09:05 AM   #6
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

This is great PR and the best advertising that cannot even be purchased. I say go with it and do the right thing. Just make sure you get your name out there enough to take advantage of this opp. Have enough litterature!!!!!

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 11:48 AM   #7
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

When we do these charity cooks at no charge, we have a "visitor's" book to let people sign in (With email and phone) with a comment or request area. We use it as a follow up tool, and add them to our Constant Contact list.

Another way we have had some success is by offering a free drawing for a BBQ dinner for 6 or 8. Entry is via email, and we take these emails and add them to our list as well for email marketing.
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 12:55 PM   #8
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Rocke View Post
When we do these charity cooks at no charge, we have a "visitor's" book to let people sign in (With email and phone) with a comment or request area. We use it as a follow up tool, and add them to our Constant Contact list.

Another way we have had some success is by offering a free drawing for a BBQ dinner for 6 or 8. Entry is via email, and we take these emails and add them to our list as well for email marketing.

Hmmm, thats a good idea.
Gone brick n mortar
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2010, 07:46 PM   #9
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Those are some awesome ideas and I think going at no charge is the way I will go. Thank you for the responses.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I would tell them that if they insist on paying you, then make a donation to the Childrens Miracle Network in your name and go from there.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #11
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

I would make sure I had a big banner made up that everyone could see, a lot of business cards, flyers and response cards to hand out. Drawing for a free dinner etc. Giving up 6 weekends is a lot so you need to captialize. If Sams insists on paying you for your time I would take it as a store credit. Since you will be slammed, will Sam's provide some personnel to help you? If not you will have some employee costs that you need to think about.
Unread 05-13-2010, 01:23 PM   #12
Demosthenes9
Full Fledged Farker

I guess I'm kind of confused by some of the responses here. As I read the OP, Sams has already HIRED i.e. decided to have him do the cooking. Given that, why not go ahead and accept a reasonable payment ?

Is the thought that if they have these in the future, forgoing any charges would make it more likely that he would be asked back to do it again and that he would benefit by the continued exposure ?

As for the banners, sign up books, or other "marketing activities", couldn't those still be done while accepting money for his time ?

It would be different if the job was put up for competitive bid and doing it for free would help get the gig, but, OP said that they already gave him the job.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wholeheartedly agree that the exposure would be beneficial regardless. That said, what's wrong with getting paid a reasonable amount while getting that exposure ?
Demosthenes9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 01:38 PM   #13
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes9 View Post
I guess I'm kind of confused by some of the responses here. As I read the OP, Sams has already HIRED i.e. decided to have him do the cooking. Given that, why not go ahead and accept a reasonable payment ?

Is the thought that if they have these in the future, forgoing any charges would make it more likely that he would be asked back to do it again and that he would benefit by the continued exposure ?

As for the banners, sign up books, or other "marketing activities", couldn't those still be done while accepting money for his time ?

It would be different if the job was put up for competitive bid and doing it for free would help get the gig, but, OP said that they already gave him the job.

I guess what I'm saying is that I wholeheartedly agree that the exposure would be beneficial regardless. That said, what's wrong with getting paid a reasonable amount while getting that exposure ?
Speaking for myself, I realize that any monies paid to me mean less for the children's charity. That being said, some payment to help offset costs would be reasonable, but most charity events I do are for charities I support, and hence, I do not take a fee.

As for the marketing activity, I see much more return (Phone calls, follow up, replies, and eventually jobs) when I "market" in person via my charity work. Maybe it's people liking to be associated with people who are willing to help others - Don't know. It's just about doing the right thing.
Twitter - @ranchoagogo @ranchotogobbq
www.ranchotogobbq.com
C Rocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #14
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

All good imput. I have done Children's Miracle cooks in the past and not only gave my time but also all the meat. I have a 501c3 where we raise money to do these charity cooks to be able to provide the meat etc. If Sam's is providing all the supplies then all you have to do is cook. For a charity event like this I bet you could get a number of your pals to come out and help to be part of this event. This is the best advertising you can find and all you invest is your time.