拉猪肉
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 05-03-2010, 09:15 PM   #1
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default FEC holding temp?

I plan on using my FEC for cooking and holding my briskets and butts during comps. When I have reached the desired temps of my meats what temp would you recommend using for holding?

Unread 05-03-2010, 09:30 PM   #2
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

140 degrees

The Naked Fatty!

Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 05-03-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

I prefer a Carlisle but if you use the FE I'd gp with about 160. 140 is the legal holding temp (135 now according to FDA but not Servsafe) but it's a little low. With the IQ4 it will hold for 3 hours but watch the ash buildup in the firebox. Temp could drop. Can't really hold with old FE's.

Unread 05-03-2010, 11:16 PM   #4
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Why will it only hold for three hours? Is there more ash build-up at lower temps?

Unread 05-04-2010, 02:14 AM   #5
DMDon
Full Fledged Farker

There is more ash build up at lower temps, because the fire doesn't really burn the pellets just smolder. I have learned the hard way that 140 is too low and 180 is too high. I am going to try 160 the next time
FEC-100
Weber kettle 22.5 w/rotisserie
Weber Kettle 22.5
Weber Smokey Joe
KCBS CBJ #23234
DMDon is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-04-2010, 08:04 AM   #6
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Remember at 160 you are no longer cooking but the meat will slowly give off heat as well as the pellets smoldering. Delta between 200F and 160F means real slow cooling. So it's a real low fire and if it does burn a little cleaner when you open the door then it raises the temp significantly. You want the meat to rest not continue to cook so 3 hours then onto the counter for at least an hour. There's other tricks like venting before holding.

Unread 05-04-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
Muzzlebrake
Babbling Farker

I don't undrstand why the pellets would burn less efficiently at a lower temp. How does the cooker control that? I was under the impression that temperatures were controlled by the amount of pellets being fed into the firebox. If you set it for a lower temp doesn't it just add less fuel? I don't see why that would make the fire smolder or make more ash

"What sort of people are these charcoal masters? They behaved badly and were unconcerned with appearances. Their hair was long and unkempt and their clothes were wrinkled and old. They drank beer to and from the crab house and they made rude noises while we cooked." Tao of Charcoal
Muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Cambro. I think you are overthinking the FEC. I don't know too many pelletheads doing that. Actuallyh none. You want the meat to rest. But if it works, great! At this stage in your career, I wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel.

Good luck Nate!
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 05-04-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for all your help, guys. I got the impression that the FEC was used for holding because Cookshack sells a thermometer that monitors the temp of the meat and when the meat hits the correct temp the unit goes into a holding phase. Maybe that's not designed to hold for long periods. I really appreciate the help!

Unread 05-04-2010, 09:50 AM   #10
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Question:
What's the difference between cambroing the big cuts or holding them in the FEC at 160? (assuming the meat is vented and close foiled again)

Last year I started to keep a digital thermometer in my holder and the probe reads about 160-165 shortly after I put my butts in. 2-3 hours later when I'm ready to take them out it reads about 150. I was glad to see Don post holding at 160 as that was going to be my suggestion to him at the next comp too.

Is the risk drying out the meat since the FEC has air movement?

So far holding in the FEC is working with our pork, but not so much for our brisket.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:22 AM   #11
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

If you know you are getting done that early, why start cooking that early? Put the meats on a little later and get done closer to turn in. Holding is no good for large meats for comps.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #12
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
Holding is no good for large meats for comps.
I don't think that statement works universally. It may not work with some people's process, but based on our pork results it works well with our pork method.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:44 AM   #13
Ford
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
If you know you are getting done that early, why start cooking that early? Put the meats on a little later and get done closer to turn in. Holding is no good for large meats for comps.
A number of people teaching expensive classes might disagree with you. Of course I took classes in 2007 so maybe they have changed since then. I hear some are really going hotter and fast now.

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I'm going to start brisket 2 hrs later this weekend to cut back on the hold time. Our pork could probably stand less hold time as well.

Unread 05-04-2010, 10:47 AM   #15
Scottie
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Thanks for all your help, guys. I got the impression that the FEC was used for holding because Cookshack sells a thermometer that monitors the temp of the meat and when the meat hits the correct temp the unit goes into a holding phase. Maybe that's not designed to hold for long periods. I really appreciate the help!

Honestly Nate, I won't quote anyone from Cookshack on this. but those probes were made for the vendor/restaurant type application. You could stick a probe in them and once they hit temp, they fall back to that hold temp. My feelings are... If they were meant for comp applications. They would supply them for all purchases. They don't do that, so no need to use it...

Bob, I am not sure why it happens with the 160. I can't argue that, but I know they are different kind of heat. I understand that 160 is 160. but they are different. Like I said, if it works, awesome. But I sure wouldn't be trying it and I have been cooking on a FE for almost 10 years now... Have I tried it? Yes, with no success at all.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote