How do you secure your FEC?

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
O.k., I realize I'm being "that guy" - the one who is all amped up because a new smoker is on the way and is asking tons of questions rather than just waiting for the thing to come. I can live with it. :rolleyes:

How do folks secure an FEC in a comp trailer? The Oly Roller is a 7x16 trailer and were are trying to figure out the best method for securing one of these for travel. Would any of you be good enough to post pics if you have a similar set up?

I'm officially banning myself from posting any more questions about my FEC until tomorrow.:tape:

I attached these to the back of mine. They are UHMW strips and I roll it to the back of my trailer and lean it back and slide it in. Then is gets strapped to the floor.

Artek

IMG_3547.jpg

I attached these to the back of mine. They are UHMW strips and I roll it to the back of my trailer and lean it back and slide it in. Then is gets strapped to the floor.

Great idea! But what do you slide them in to?

I took the back panel off the FE and bolted these on. I counter sunk the bold heads through the UHMW till I hit the stainless of the rail. So I am bolting stainless to stainless. You can see my counter sunk holes in the track above.

TN_Guide_Rail.JPG

Mine are installed in the trailer with venting. 1 is bolted to the floor, and 2 are still on wheels and are held down by ratchet straps to d rings. Get yourself 1200 lb d rings (cheap and small) and weld 4 to the 4 corners of the lower frame. Add 4 d rings to the floor of the trailer with just enough room to get a ratchet strap up to the first dring then over and then down to the floor. Won't ever go anywhere and it doesn't have to be against the wall with etrack.

I can email you a pic next week if you need a visual. PM me.

Drilled and put 5/8th eye bolts in each leg at the junction of the leg and bottom welded frame. D rings in the floor and a chain and turnbuckle arrangement for each leg to secure it. The FEC has not moved in over two years with the arrangement. Was using straps but getting it against a wall was putting too much offset weight, wanted it in the middle. Straps can and do work loose unless you do them exactly right. The chain/turnbuckle allows some forgiveness on Saturday afternoon. Will post pictures later if anyone wants them.

Same as Scottie. In my big trailer I have e-track on top and something similar on floor. It locks in good. On my 6x12 I have e-track on wall at top and D rings about leg level.

Nate, think about some small jacks under your ramp an you won't have to wheel it far or keep in toward the back if weight allows then vent out back with little movement.

When I had my trailer built I sent the mfg. the dimensions of the FEC and they put in D-rings in the floor over the axle for me. I put the FEC in the middle of the trailer over the axle ans use two heavy duty tie down straps in an X over the top of the FEC. You could also put e-track on the wall and put it against one wall and use tie downs into the E-track.

As far as Rod's suggestion of jack stands under the ramp, we did that for two comps. It is much easier for setup and pack up, but we also sleep in the trailer and having the ramp open let in too many bugs, even with screens across the back. Also, I have been at too many comps where even through they say you are getting a 20 x 20 space, it really isn't, and there isn't enough room to have the ramp down on the trailer without violating someone else's space.

Back