The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-28-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Cool What would your reaction be?

I was at a contest recently and the team next to me was disqualified on their pork entry. Later after the contest I talked to the team members about the reason they were disqualified. They proceeded to tell me it was for using kale and endives. So I asked them if they used kale and endives on their chicken and rib entry. They said they did, and not only at this contest. They used kale and endives on all four categories at a previous contest. At that point I was getting frustrated because his previous contest was the same contest I competed in. So I looked up the results and they placed in the top ten in one category. Not that it made a huge difference in the outcome of the contest but the fact that this got past six table captains and thirty-six judges before getting caught is what disturbed me. But the worst part of the whole situation was that he told me he was a CBJ himself. Now I could see a situation where the rules were kind of vague or a little gray, but this rule is spelled out in black and white. At what point do they take away someone’s CBJ status? What other rules are being broken and missed? I want to say I am very disappointed in a system that I spend a lot of time and money involved in.
Nate
CBJ# 21746
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2010, 03:46 PM   #2
nthole
Babbling Farker

Nate, I agree that there is some issue with the CBJ certification. The fact that they hold certification classes right before a competition just for that competition so they can say it's completely filled by CBJs kinda missrepresents the judging. Doesn't mean they are qualified CBJs.

We got burned by a questionable 'cbj' judgement in Washington. Reps said they tried to talk with him about it but he wouldn't budge. To me, KCBS ought to be tracking reps history and ability if they are going to put their name behind the person. They also ought to be able to take action on someone if they can see the person really shouldn't be judging, whether it be removing their status or asking them to re-attend training.
Pork Pistols BBQ
MOFO Illuminati

MOINK...It's what's for linner.
nthole is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I have been told that any CBJ can attend any judging class for free. My thought is that some kind of continued education should be mandatory to keep your CBJ status. If is means you attend a class every year to find out the rule changes or some kind of online class. There seems to be a disconnect somewhere. I mean really....36 judges and 6 table captains can't recognize kale and endives?
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS

Unread 04-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 1

Have to agree with this one. I can understand (kind of) a new judge missing this, but not a full table full AND a table captain!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2010, 05:05 PM   #5
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

This is pretty surprising, considering they spend more time in a CBJ class teaching them how to identify illegal garnish than they do teaching how to properly judge the meat.

Unread 04-28-2010, 07:24 PM   #6
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokedelic View Post
This is pretty surprising, considering they spend more time in a CBJ class teaching them how to identify illegal garnish than they do teaching how to properly judge the meat.
I just went through Mike Lake's CBJ class this past weekend, and probably 90% of the class time was spent on how to judge the meat. There was a small portion devoted to illegal garnish, but examples of what each illegal garnish looked like was not provided.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #7
Sledneck
Time Out

KCBS should take some lessons from the FBA, not sure if I am correct on this but I do believe the FBA also tracks judges as well

FBA Judge Requirements
  1. Maintain an active FBA Membership.
  2. Judge a minimum of one FBA sanctioned contest every 12 months. (note: failure to achieve this requirement means you will have to attend an FBA Judge's Training Seminar prior to judging again.)
  3. Be present for the Judges Briefing at any contest your are confirmed to judge. Failure to be present means that you will not judge that contest. Check-in for judges starts at 9am on the day of the contest and ends at 9:30am. The Judges Briefing begins at 9:30am, followed by the Table Captains Briefing.
  4. If you fail to show for three contests that you are confirmed to judge without notifying either the Organizer or one of the Reps, you will be removed from the list of judges for future contests.
  5. Judge all four categories at any contest you are seated at for judging.
  6. During the contest, you are not allowed to visit with the cook teams. Doing so will cause you to be removed from the judging that day.
  7. After the contest, you may visit with the cook teams, however you may not discuss any part of the judging including your scores. Doing so will cause you to be removed from the list of judges for future contests.
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-28-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
TMac
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default Illegal Garnish

Hmmmmmm..............Isn't it about the meat?? As if it's not hard enough getting the stuff in the box !

Unread 04-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #9
smokeshowin
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I know it's a dead horse, but, no garnish, no problem.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-28-2010, 08:48 PM   #10
Weiss Mountain Smoke
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nthole View Post
Nate, I agree that there is some issue with the CBJ certification. The fact that they hold certification classes right before a competition just for that competition so they can say it's completely filled by CBJs kinda missrepresents the judging. Doesn't mean they are qualified CBJs.

We got burned by a questionable 'cbj' judgement in Washington. Reps said they tried to talk with him about it but he wouldn't budge. To me, KCBS ought to be tracking reps history and ability if they are going to put their name behind the person. They also ought to be able to take action on someone if they can see the person really shouldn't be judging, whether it be removing their status or asking them to re-attend training.
on top of what proportion of the judges are CBJs, what if KCBS reported what the average number of events the judges have judged? the further the average is from 1, the more confidence that could be placed in the judges for that event. this might make it a little more clear, as 100% CBJ doesn't seem to mean all that much. just a thought

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-28-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Seems like a stupid risk for that team to continue using it and jeopardizing getting DQ'd in each category. Lot of money out the door for DQ.

Unread 04-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #12
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster Dog BBQ View Post
Seems like a stupid risk for that team to continue using it and jeopardizing getting DQ'd in each category. Lot of money out the door for DQ.
You are correct, but he (CBJ Judge) did not realize it was illegal until he got his fist DQ after 6 prior turn-ins. Needless to say, his brisket turn-in did not have any kale in it.
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS

Unread 04-29-2010, 06:50 AM   #13
BBQ_Mayor
is One Chatty Farker

Maybe it's just that the judges are really doing their job and that is judging the meat and not the garnish. I hear judges all the time saying they really don't notice the garnish......maybe it's true? So it got past all those judges till they came across that one judge that pays attention to the garnish. Just sayin'
WSM
Whole Hog Smoker
CBJ #4643
BBQ_Mayor is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2010, 07:00 AM   #14
Lion Bout The Q
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRA4Life View Post
I just went through Mike Lake's CBJ class this past weekend, and probably 90% of the class time was spent on how to judge the meat. There was a small portion devoted to illegal garnish, but examples of what each illegal garnish looked like was not provided.
I took my cbj class from Mike too, several years ago, and there were no examples of illegal garnish except in one turn in box they slipped in a small piece of red tipped parsley?
Lion Bout The Q is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-29-2010, 07:13 AM   #15
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ_Mayor View Post
Maybe it's just that the judges are really doing their job and that is judging the meat and not the garnish. I hear judges all the time saying they really don't notice the garnish......maybe it's true? So it got past all those judges till they came across that one judge that pays attention to the garnish. Just sayin'
I didn't think of it that way, and I respect your point of view. But you still have 6 table captains not judging the box that should be looking for marking and illegal garnish among other things. Maybe I'm wrong but I don' think the table captains are there to be one of Barker's Beauties.
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS