Black walnut?

J

jswordy

Hey, I have a stack of black walnut from a tree I trimmed last year. Anybody smoke with this stuff? I was gonna use it in the wood stove, but now I have a few months of it sitting around before heating season again. I'm not desperate for wood, I have a stack of hickory and a stack of maple, but I was just eyeballing it and wondering...

Thanks.

Great for wood working, bad for smoking. Strong unpleasant taste, burns very hot

If you must, a very very little goes a long way. Too much gives very bitter taste. Got a bunch free myself and had to look into it.

OK, thanks. I felt it probably would not be good, looks like I was correct.

I agree about woodworking! I used to make jewelry boxes out of it. The sawdust irritates my armpits and inner elbows, though, so I have to be careful. Anyplace it can collect in perspiration, I will turn red.

A guy told me the trunk of the one black walnut tree we have in the yard is worth about $4,000.

I have also tried it, thinking it would work great, but...........was I ever disappointed. If I get any more I will turn it into a sail éille (shillelagh), because there is not a blackthorn (sloe) tree within a thousand miles of my homestead.

Back