The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-27-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Smokey Joe indirect heat questions?

Hey gang, As most of you know we purchased the smokey joe for the comp and I fell in love with the little unit, Here's my question.

If I want to do small stuff in indirect heat, How many coal's for fish?

They say for salmon, but I want to do talipa, and I will be learning all those recipes in the weber hand book!
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-2010, 02:23 PM   #2
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Here is a link to the TVWBB which shows in detail a guy that smokes on his SJS. It goes into pretty good detail on smoking indirect on a small smokey joe. It is incredible to me and I have been wanting to try it but alas I am a lazy farker. It may help you. If you're doing indirect I wouldn't use much coals as using too many chokes down your fire.

http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...23/m/813102381

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-27-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks Smokey Al, I'll go ahead now and takr a look at your link!

Old 04-27-2010, 04:09 PM   #4
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Ok 2 more questions.

Smoking Aspairgrass on direct high heat?
and smoking corn on the cob ( not the husk ) both at the same time?

Old 04-28-2010, 09:46 AM   #5
King
Full Fledged Farker

Do you mean asparagus or speargrass?

From my experience, smoked veggies do not taste good. Unless you wrap the veggies in bacon or use them as a stuffing, I don't think much flavor is absorbed by them.

I like to marinate in s&p and EVOO, then grill the asparagus on high heat.

For the corn, I like to coat them with butter and herbs, foil them and grill on high heat for a few minutes.

22.5" Weber Smoky Mountain Smoker
22.5" Weber OTG
Weber Spirit E-310
Brinkman offset smoker
Brinkman ECB smoker (modified)
UDS (under construction)
King is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 09:52 AM   #6
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I would think that asparagus and corn have different requirements for cooking. I too like asparagus over high heat, direct. For corn, if there is no husk, I am likely not going to put it on the fire. If there is a full husk, I soak the entire thing, then whack it onto the coals direct, or I carefully peel, but, do no remove the husks, rub corn with butter and rub, place husk back and out it over direct high heat. Fresh corn just needs to be heated.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by King View Post
Do you mean asparagus or speargrass?

From my experience, smoked veggies do not taste good. Unless you wrap the veggies in bacon or use them as a stuffing, I don't think much flavor is absorbed by them.

I like to marinate in s&p and EVOO, then grill the asparagus on high heat.

For the corn, I like to coat them with butter and herbs, foil them and grill on high heat for a few minutes.
It's the WSjS, and it's Dad will be the wsm 22.5 end of may ( I still have to pay some money back from the KCBS meet ) before I can get the wsm 22.5

Old 04-28-2010, 10:19 AM   #8
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I like to coat my asparagus with olive oil and a little lemon juice in a zip lok bag, dust with black pepper and garlic powder and then direct high heat for a few minutes turning once. After it's cooked, some grated Parmesan sprinkled on top is also good. Salt optional after it's cooked.
The corn, I leave in husk and soak in sink for a couple hours and grill over direct heat turning occasionally for about ten minutes.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I like to coat my asparagus with olive oil and a little lemon juice in a zip lok bag, dust with black pepper and garlic powder and then direct high heat for a few minutes turning once. After it's cooked, some grated Parmesan sprinkled on top is also good. Salt optional after it's cooked.
The corn, I leave in husk and soak in sink for a couple hours and grill over direct heat turning occasionally for about ten minutes.
I will try that at our camping trip this weekend.

thank you deguerre

Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Smokin Turkey
is One Chatty Farker

i thought I posted on this thread already...

I wanted to ask, are you talking about a WSM or a WSJ? I'm lost when you say about a second grate or are you counting the charcoal grate?

I saw on another forum guys taking the WSJ and making a mini WSM by cutting the bottom out of a 32Q tamale cooker. I was going to try it but got building myself a trailer. Maybe in the winter when im bored!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:53 AM   #11
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Turkey View Post
i thought I posted on this thread already...

I wanted to ask, are you talking about a WSM or a WSJ? I'm lost when you say about a second grate or are you counting the charcoal grate?

I saw on another forum guys taking the WSJ and making a mini WSM by cutting the bottom out of a 32Q tamale cooker. I was going to try it but got building myself a trailer. Maybe in the winter when im bored!
I got the smokey joe S, and the wsm 22.5 will be coming at the end of may.

Old 04-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #12
Ron_L

I just read through the link the Al provided! Holy carp! With all the time and mods that the guy put into modifying the Smokey Joe he may as well have bought a 18.5" kettle or a used 22.5" kettle off of Craigslist! To me, the Smokey Joe is just too small to be an effective smoker (unless you are willing to do custom metal work). it's a good portable grill. Just use it that way.

BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic planning is underway! Your input needed!

The Naked Fatty!

3x Hunsaker Cans/Southern Q Limo Elite Gravity Fed/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-29-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
I just read through the link the Al provided! Holy carp! With all the time and mods that the guy put into modifying the Smokey Joe he may as well have bought a 18.5" kettle or a used 22.5" kettle off of Craigslist! To me, the Smokey Joe is just too small to be an effective smoker (unless you are willing to do custom metal work). it's a good portable grill. Just use it that way.
Thank you Ron, I'll use it as a practice grill / fam cook outs / camping and I'll use the wsm for the big boy stuff :)

Old 04-29-2010, 02:12 PM   #14
FamilyManBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Here's how I smoke, indirect, on my smokey joe. Started as part of a science project for my daughter...it's a fun little toy!!

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=82255
Humphrey's Pint, Weber(Go Anywhere, Smokey Joe, "Smoker Joe", 22.5" Kettles, Gasser, Q100, Q200, (2)22.5" WSM, (1)18.5" WSM (1) 14.5" WSM, UDS (Weber lid), Rib-O-Lator. BLACK thermapen...and a YELLOW one too!!

Everything I cook is judged by SIX!!

Daddy and Me BBQ Competition Cooking Team
FamilyManBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM   #15
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i made a mini smoker as family man mentions. the thing is awesome and requires very little work to make. indirect on the sjs can also be done simply. i do two fatties on it and have no issues. i just pile some coals on one end and put the meat on the other and away you go. no need to make it hard. i use a small can that goes over the lower vent holes and fits just under the coal grate. i then drilled a bunch of holes in the can just under what would be the top(bottom of the can)so that it would breath but prevented the ash from blocking the holes. works great. i love the sjs's and especially the mini smoker. the sjs's are surely under rated.