MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-29-2004, 10:37 PM   #1
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Default WHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO DO PORK BUTTS?

I've read a number of butt prep and cooking techniques. What is the favorite method used?

Right now I'm planning to rub with Southern Flavor and smole at 230-240 until the internal temp hits about 175 then foil and into a cooler for about an hour.

Sound reasonable? Any pointers? Pitfalls to watch for?

Still tryin' to get it all together :)

Modded Brinkmann Smoke King Deluxe, UDS, Brinkman gasser

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.
Chia Jen/The Clan --I Ching
ciret is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2004, 11:04 PM   #2
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

OK, kept reading, sounds like I need to foil at 175, back in the smoke 'till 190 internal temp, then unwrap and go another 45 min to an hour, foil again and cooler for an hour.

Sound better?

A health family, a healthy country, a healthy world -- all grow outward from a single superior person.

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-29-2004, 11:56 PM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Eric, I'm probably as big a fan of unwrapping as there is in this lot, I don't unwrap butts. Commonly held technique here is close to what you've got. Wrap @ 160, take up to 190 for slicing, 200 for pulling, cooler till back down to 160. It just falls apart, and the juice is awesome. I didn't use to be such a pulled pork fan but I like it alot better now than I used too. You'll hit a plateau around 180, you'll think your therm is farked cause it won't move for ever. Be patient it will eventually, and once it does the rest doesn't take long at all. Best of luck. Oh yeah, spray thoroughly when you foil up. Juice or what ever, Bill steals his kids drink boxes. I use apple juice and pepsi 50/50. Thinking I might like Phil's touch of the jug.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2004, 01:17 AM   #4
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Cool, thanks for the insight. Do you spray during the cook before you foil?

Now I just have to contend with the midwestern weather Sunday :( Supposed to start out ok, then thunderstorms. We'll see.

Old 05-30-2004, 01:25 AM   #5
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

For pork butts I don't, using the above method it just couldn't be any juicier. Spraying often with apple juice will make the prettiest Q you ever toook a picture of though.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

If you can outlast the weather until you get them butts to 160*, they'll finish nicely in the oven. I've gotten a little more lazy in my golden days and just get tired of feeding the bandera, so the oven and a nap work real well together....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2004, 08:17 AM   #7
Solidkick

Quote:
Do you spray during the cook before you foil?
I spray about every hour and a half, or anytime the heat gets out of control after loading new fuel.

I do spray mine up real good while wrapping, almost like a pool of juice.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2004, 10:02 AM   #8
parrothead

Look out for that weather ciret. It's about to get nasty down hear by Joliet.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2004, 10:21 AM   #9
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Too late now, but i used to brine a butt in applejuice and herbs. If ya have the time, thats my favorite way, but i dont always have that time.. i usually rub with mustard, coat heavy with the rub.. for buts, I always add some nutmeg to the rub. Then i cook spraying often with apple juice/bourbon and wrap at 165-180. usually write after my "stuck" zone. That stuck zone can last 3 hours sometimes, but thats all the collegen breaking down so its a good thing. Then i foil to 200 in heat then take it out and rest to 165.

Look for the recipe for "Down home pulled pork" in our files/recipe section. Not the recipe section, but files section and recipes under that. Its an awesome vinegar based sauce for the pulled pork. let me know if ya need help finding it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
ciret
Full Fledged Farker

Fighting the weather.

Having some extreme cooker temp swings due in part to weather. Temp dropped, wind picked up rain started. My shelf temp dropped to 130, took me an hour to get it back up, sort of. I can only get up to 160-190 from my 2 probes on the butt level shelf.

I'm using charcoal and chunks for flavor. I think I'm gonna go get some lump to try and get the temp up.

Farking rain

Old 05-30-2004, 03:45 PM   #11
mfalle
Found some matches.

I'm really new to this, But I had the same trouble with my Brinlmann Smoke King Deluxe, I made a couple of modifications, seemed to help. First I covered the floor of the fire box with fire brick, then I threw the worthless charcoal grate away and welded up a basket. (temporary one until I can afford on of Al's. I also put some firebrick in the bottom of the smoke chamber, Not fitted like the fire box just laid in for kind of a heat sink. Oh yeah I had to put legs on the basket to raise it up a little. Also made a big difference. After my disaster with the whole chickens, I now bring it up to temp, 250-260 with Kingsford and then use lump the rest of the way. Seems I have to feed it a little more often but the temp stays up and the flavor seems to be better.

Old 06-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #12
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

I know this is an old thread off the road map but I am doing a butt this coming weekend on a weber kettle, I don't think I will be able to keep the temps down around 225-250, I am guessing more like 300+. The rule seems to be 1-1.5 hours per lb at the lower temps, what kind of time per lb can I expect if my kettle holds at around 300? Thanks for the great info guys. RIX
RIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 03:45 PM   #13
LGerber
On the road to being a farker

Very interesting reading in this thread, and I am looking forward to using some of the tips suggested. I really liked the idea of apple juice and bourbon
LGerber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 04:01 PM   #14
motley que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIX View Post
I know this is an old thread off the road map but I am doing a butt this coming weekend on a weber kettle, I don't think I will be able to keep the temps down around 225-250, I am guessing more like 300+. The rule seems to be 1-1.5 hours per lb at the lower temps, what kind of time per lb can I expect if my kettle holds at around 300? Thanks for the great info guys. RIX
I would still say about an hour or so, but remember its done when its done. put the exhaust vent over the butt, have the bottom vents around 1/2 open. thats how i started on butts
30 qt outdoor cooker
Blue Drum Smoker
Red Drum Smoker
Orange Drum Smoker
Weber Smokey Joe - my 3 yr olds pit
Blue Thermopen
Harbor Freight Weed Burner

Tired, but wiser for the time
motley que is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 PM   #15
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIX View Post
At 300 ish, you will be at 3/4 (or less) to 1 hour per pound on an 8lb Butt.
It is not an exact science.
We routinly cook at 300-350 and it works fine.

But remember, it is meat temp (190-200 or so) and probe feel and not time that determines when it is done!

Plan on being done early and drop it is a hot box (cooler) to hold till ready to serve. Just makes it "mo-better"

Let us know how it goes.

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote