ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 05-28-2004, 05:47 PM   #1
auscos
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Brisket - packer or market trimmed?

I have always gone with packer trim, since they leave a huge amount of fat on that provides self-basting juciness. But because I just assume this is better, I have never tried the market trim, that weight half as much.

Some quick math told me market trim at $1.59 a pound is a much better deal that the packers at 99 cents. SO I am going to do a market trim tonight and see wht I think.

I would be interested in the board's thoughts.
auscos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

I can't get packer cut

I get Costco 2.59# trim 5# flats.

Sure they are smaller, but I do brisket in 7 hours or so, no overnighters.

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-28-2004, 11:47 PM   #3
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

To me, a brisket with out a point is like a fark without a nut :( Why bother :P If you're not as big a burnt end fan as I am, packers are probably not worth the trouble most of the time.

Bill, my local wally super center always has 8 or 10 wholes out at a time. Just came home from there. Very busy store, we're enroute between KC and MO's biggest concentration of recreational lakes, still had plenty.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2004, 12:42 AM   #4
auscos
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcquer
To me, a brisket with out a point is like a fark without a nut :( Why bother :P If you're not as big a burnt end fan as I am, packers are probably not worth the trouble most of the time.

Bill, my local wally super center always has 8 or 10 wholes out at a time. Just came home from there. Very busy store, we're enroute between KC and MO's biggest concentration of recreational lakes, still had plenty.
I agree, the point IS the Point.

THese have the points. They just carve off about five pounds of fat.

Unread 05-29-2004, 08:20 PM   #5
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I was gonna post but I can't remember what the point was gonna be!

Oyea, learned from this site, how to pick the whole brisket. I get mine at Wal-Mart. 12-15 lb Excell. If it has a good thin fat cap it will bend eaisly end to end. Cold fat won't bend, so if it won't bend, it has tooooo much fat. Pick another one.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2004, 09:06 PM   #6
Solidkick

I'm not a big brisket fan, so I may need correcting on this, but I think I remember reading on here somewhere in the past seven months that without the fat cap you will need to drape bacon over the market trimmed brisket to keep it from drying out.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #7
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Bro Kick, best brisket info I ever read was that newsletter you sent around a while back. I just pasted it into a pm to auscos. I'd like to get that brisket article on the site somehow (files, recipes or something) but wondered about the legal issues. Any one else interested in this article let me know and I'll e-mail or pm it to you. It changed my whole way of thinking about how to cook my very favorite Q item, unfortunately I've eaten all the evidence.

Unread 05-29-2004, 09:24 PM   #8
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Yep, me to Fat cap down since last Brisket and from now on. :D

[/URL]

Unread 05-31-2004, 12:56 AM   #9
auscos
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I cooked up the market trim and I have to admit, it was better than I thought it would be. Nearly indiscernible from the packer trim, except I didn't have to deal with disposing of 4-5 pounds of solid far. More like 1 or 1.5 pounds. The flat portion seemed a tad drier than my last packer trims, tho.

I have a friend I can get some fresh bacon from (unsmoked) and I think I may try again, wrapping the brisket in that bacon before I seal it in foil f6r the f5na3 cook.

Unread 05-31-2004, 08:43 AM   #10
Solidkick

Quote:
Some quick math told me market trim at $1.59 a pound is a much better deal that the packers at 99 cents
Oh..I'm so pissed....I thought after reading this post I'd try a market trimmed, until I SAW THE PRICE!! $3.79 a lb., a 4 lb piece of meat around 15.00. I opted for pork butts at .99 a lb.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2004, 11:06 AM   #11
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

i used to do only packer cuts. Babysit for 16-18 hours, then throw out half the thing anyway due to waste. So I switched to the market cuts which are ususlaly just points with a little fat cap. they were good, especially since they cooked in 6-8 hours. being its only the point, its a little dyer than a whole cut, but acceptable.

Well, this week, for the memorial day party, i did 5 packer cuts.. and DAMN, those thinks blow away the market trims!. I forgot how good they are. Loaded with juice, and the thress cuts, with point, nose and flat, give everyone a sample of what real BBQ is... I had guests lining up at the pit while i was slicing those briskets.

IMO, theres a big ddifference. If you got the time and are in the mood, the packers the way to go, but if your making tonights dinner this morning, it may not be an option.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2004, 11:26 AM   #12
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Phil, did you smoke the briskets fat cap up or down? I tried the fat cap down on that last small flat (cheaper) did not want to risk on a full one, but it was great with fat cap down.

[/URL]

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:10 PM   #13
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33
i used to do only packer cuts. Babysit for 16-18 hours, then throw out half the thing anyway due to waste. So I switched to the market cuts which are ususlaly just points with a little fat cap. .
Flats you Yankee Fark.

Those are trimmend FLATS, not points.

Where the hell you been? Do I need to post the definition of Brisket again for you too?

Read the archives, from like Friday.

Slow mod

(and welcome to the non lurkers Phil, whoever you are)

The death of "willkat98"

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-31-2004, 10:37 PM   #14
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Anybody ever buy a packer and part it out? You'd have the smaller, quicker cooking pieces and still have some fat cap to work with. Flat for the inlaws and point for no company mod.

Unread 05-31-2004, 11:08 PM   #15
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Flats you Yankee Fark.

Those are trimmend FLATS, not points.

Where the hell you been? Do I need to post the definition of Brisket again for you too?

yeah yeah.. bite my brisket..

your right.. its a flat.. but u can still bite me.... lets discuss.

i do full packers cap up... trimmed flats depending on the site of the fat cap... sometimes lay some bacon on it, or some layers of pork fat i keep frozen from trimming packers. I'll also flip them a time or to.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote