The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:10 PM   #1
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Michigan Kingsford Event question?

Ok this is going to be a real comp and I will have a 22.5 wsm smoker for butt, so my question is this.

I know there is a $200 event fee to get in, and I wanted to know if I can just do a butt and loose out on points in the other 3 catagories?

I will do this for a while until I can buy 2 wsm's but right now I'm building up my team equipment slowly and want to stay in one category for now.

May I do that?
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

sure you can..

but even with a 22" WSM you could potentially manage all four categories with minimal meat per category, proper timing and holding in a cooler to keep warm until turn in's.

ex. 1 or 2 butts on top shelf, 1 brisket on bottom shelf. When ribs go on in AM, you can squeeze in 1 or 2 rolled up ribs then open them up when butts or brisket are done and put in warming cooler.. chix can go on later or cook on your smokey joe.

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:15 PM   #3
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
sure you can..

but even with a 22" WSM you could potentially manage all four categories with minimal meat per category, proper timing and holding in a cooler to keep warm until turn in's.
True true, However the money will be tough for all the meats right now. and I really want to hone my chops in the butt category and then the brisket and move up slowly as I win more and more.

Thank you for anwsering my q's MS.

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:18 PM   #4
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek View Post
True true, However the money will be tough for all the meats right now. and I really want to hone my chops in the butt category and then the brisket and move up slowly as I win more and more.

Thank you for anwsering my q's MS.
you can do that but I'd figure out how to make it happen..

just cut back on all your mid week cooking for a short while !! 1 brisket, one rack of ribs and 6-8 pcs of chicken may only cost $30 and you get the thrill of cooking all categories.

Don't get so caught up in winning this early in the game.. Consistent wins usually take time and focusing too hard on this can take the fun out of it for a rookie comp cook just getting started.

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
you can do that but I'd figure out how to make it happen..

just cut back on all your mid week cooking for a short while !! 1 brisket, one rack of ribs and 6-8 pcs of chicken may only cost $30 and you get the thrill of cooking all categories.

Don't get so caught up in winning this early in the game.. Wins are few and far between for many and I can speak from experience that for some doing comps just for the win can take the fun out of it after a while.
Thank you for your wisdom and advice MS.

I will do what you said but for the first 2 events as my own team competes I will keep it simple, and then as soon as I pay my mom back from the $600 for the kingsford event, I will go ahead and add more meats.

Thank you ( may I call you bro )?

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Thank you for your wisdom and advice MS.

I will do what you said but for the first 2 events as my own team competes I will keep it simple, and then as soon as I pay my mom back from the $600 for the kingsford event, I will go ahead and add more meats.

Thank you ( may I call you bro )?
you're welcome..

bro is so impersonal... I prefer Mr. Squatter

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:24 PM   #7
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

You have time. The competition is 3 months away. Maybe you can find someone to help you with the meat costs. I don't know how long of a drive it is for you, but it seems a shame to go there, go through the setup, etc., and not cook all four categories.

But don't let us talk you into something that you aren't comfortable with.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:31 PM   #8
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
You have time. The competition is 3 months away. Maybe you can find someone to help you with the meat costs. I don't know how long of a drive it is for you, but it seems a shame to go there, go through the setup, etc., and not cook all four categories.

But don't let us talk you into something that you aren't comfortable with.
Thank you Ron, Please forgive my bad grammar. but let me explain.

I just want to EASE into events and all this comp stuff slowly and hone my chops as I go alone, and When I more comfy with the whole event process I will add each catagory in due time.

And I will still go to other events and learn as well.

That's my plan for attack!

Unread 04-25-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:

I just want to EASE into events and all this comp stuff slowly and hone my chops as I go alone, and When I more comfy with the whole event process I will add each catagory in due time.

Derek,
You've captured the attention of many people here on the board. By no means will anyone point you in the wrong direction or give you bad advice. I understand that you're looking to ease into the 4 categories and money is an issue. However, I see your plan of attack as being a little off. Talk to a few friends and see if they would be willing to form a BBQ team. With your current plan you are spending $200 entry to cook $15.00 worth of meat. If you have your brother and two other guys cooking with you, you can split the expenses four ways. Then the financial burder of competion cooking is reduced three quarters. Food for thought...
Wicked fast, Super accurate, splash proof RED Thermapen
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Derek, I don't like your thinking on easing into competitive cooking one category at a time. You spend 200.00 to enter to cook one category that might pay 250.00 for that category if you win 1st place. There will be an average of 30 to 60 others going after that same prize money in that category. They will be much better competitors than you.
This is a very expense hobby at the competition level. Your Mom's 200.00 would be better served by you practice cooking and donating the product to the Salvation Army or the Food Bank that spending it at a competition.

Hone your skills this year, think about competitive cooking next year.

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
Coz
is One Chatty Farker

More food for thought .It can be done but have you looked at the entries for the Kingsford event? Last year Team of the year winner Pellet Envy Quau Cancer Sucks Chicago last years winners Pork of the North Capt Ron and so on and I will bet there will be a lot more multiple time winners these are just the ones listed on the website as entered now. I dont want to discourage you from trying just be realistic with your goals.If your banking on winning money and competing in only one class chances are slim.I wish you the best.
Stumps Clone " CHRISTINE " ONE Evil Biotch and another in process

BRINGIN' THE HEAT BBQ Team
just Cloning around
Coz is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Thank you guys, I got plenty of time to think about and I will give it good thinking.
I wish Jerry would want to do the kingsford event, I would ask Ask him but if I remember correctly I he said hes going to be busy for a while.

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Hey guys, Are there any other Michigan comps I can join where the entry fee will not be so much and I still can smoke butt or chicken or what ever the event is?

Thank you for listing to me.

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #14
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Here is the list of Michigan competitions for this year. You'll have to check out their web sites. Some will let you pay for only one category. Also, check with the organizer for the Kingsford comp. Maybe he'll let you enter only one category for $50 or so.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?x=0&y=...12%2F31%2F2010

Coz, thanks for including us in your list of teams. I'm not sure we belong in that list, but we're going to do our best to get our first GC this year.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2010, 08:39 PM   #15
Frank Sacco
is One Chatty Farker

Derek check out the link I've attached. It's all the KCBS santioned comps in Michigan. Check the list and see what's best for you.

http://www.kcbs.us/events.php?str=MI&fromDate=mm%2Fdd%2Fyy&toDate=mm% 2Fdd%2Fyy&x=0&y=0
Wicked fast, Super accurate, splash proof RED Thermapen
www.blazinbuttzbbq.com
Frank Sacco is offline   Reply With Quote