MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 02-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #1
Mo-Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Default Wood used for comps?

Anyone use different types of wood for different meats at comps, like apple for chicken and hickory for beef ect. ect.? Or do you do the whole comp with the same wood?
Dave

Old 02-25-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

When I was cooking on 3 WSMs I paired meats and different woods. I now cook all four meats on one cooker and usually use a fruit wood like apple or cherry mixed with something like hickory or pecan. I honestly don't know if judges can tell the difference, as long as you don't use too much or something offensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people can tell the difference, just not sure how many judges can when it's presented with the rubs, sauces, etc, not to mention the amount they are eating. I would guess that the amount of smoke applied is more important than the type of wood, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #3
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew-B-Q View Post
When I was cooking on 3 WSMs I paired meats and different woods. I now cook all four meats on one cooker and usually use a fruit wood like apple or cherry mixed with something like hickory or pecan. I honestly don't know if judges can tell the difference, as long as you don't use too much or something offensive. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure people can tell the difference, just not sure how many judges can when it's presented with the rubs, sauces, etc, not to mention the amount they are eating. I would guess that the amount of smoke applied is more important than the type of wood, but I'm still trying to figure it out myself.
Different woods?!?!?

Guess that could explain why my Pine 2x4 chicken didn't do that well last year...

Sorry, going to my room now....
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 02-25-2010, 02:16 PM   #4
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Wood at comps? I thought it was banned....

Ummmm, cooking butts & briskets on same cooker, we swap in a little oak right
after I've covered the butts with foil (shhhhhhhh, it's a secret). I dont know
if we'll continue this or not (mixing in the oak). I'll have to see if I have some good
clean white oak on hand. Dont know.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
Nomanerz
On the road to being a farker

We cook all our meats with apple and hickory...The results have been very favorable for us.
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#0000ff](Different Mothers)[/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Haulmark Competition Trailer[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS]American Barbecue Systems Pit Boss[/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
[LEFT][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=black][FONT=Comic Sans MS]OTP, OTG, 2 Snailesque UDS's
Traeger Junior[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/LEFT]
Nomanerz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Mustang Sally
Knows what a fatty is.

Depends on...hickory with a little apple usually. Last year started using pecan. I really like that.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep...we use 3 bullets and a cajun bandit...4 different smokewoods.
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #8
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Still experimenting, but we recently switched from all hickory (and apple here and there) to all peach and were really surprised at the difference. The peach is very mild. I will try mixing 50/50 peach and hickory next as I think the 2 will compliment each other nicely.
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2010, 09:58 PM   #9
BigBellyBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I try to keep the hickory away from chicken and turkey..Our hickory up here is real strong..Apple or peach for the chics...hickory / pecan for pork...heavy smoke for brisket..

Old 02-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

We use Apple and a bit of Cherry for Chx, Cherry for ribs and butts and Hickory for Brisket.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:52 AM   #11
MattG
is One Chatty Farker

We use hickory with brisket, peach with pork, and pecan for chicken (Gives us a hotter Fire).

Check us out on Facebook
[url]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pots-BBQ/107610505962113[/url]
MattG is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 10:11 AM   #12
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

I use broken or mystery unlabeled bags of pellets (cause I can't sell them) except I won't use Mesquite. Since my cooker burns 70+ pounds of pellets at a competition, I am not real picky unless it's at the beginning of the cook. I like a hickory/pecan/cherry mix for butts and brisket. Sugar maple is nice on ribs and chicken.
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #13
Mo-Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy Sue View Post
I use broken or mystery unlabeled bags of pellets (cause I can't sell them) except I won't use Mesquite. Since my cooker burns 70+ pounds of pellets at a competition, I am not real picky unless it's at the beginning of the cook. I like a hickory/pecan/cherry mix for butts and brisket. Sugar maple is nice on ribs and chicken.
I am finding all of these post interesting, I almost always just use hickory but am thinking something different for at least chicken.

Candy Sue is there a good way to use pellets in a wood or charcoal smoker?
Dave

Old 04-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #14
grossepellets
Full Fledged Farker

mo-dave check out this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0zraEAW7O0

how to use pellets for your grill

Old 04-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #15
Finney
is one Smokin' Farker

I use a combo of Hickory and Cherry.