oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #1
g_mo
Got rid of the matchlight.

Default UDS Burn out ?

Got a used drum w/ red liner in it. Tried to burn it out. Aint happening. Burned for a while and the lower portion of the drum where the coals were had slight orange glow so I know it was very hot but the liner is still there. How hot does it need to get to burn that liner out?
g_mo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
Learnin Querve
Full Fledged Farker

Have you tried a wire brush or some hose pressure on the spots where it glowed through? Some have noted that after burning the remains of the liner came off easily with a scrubbing or pressure washing.

Chris
Learnin Querve is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
g_mo

It looks like the whole liner is still there. I scraped it some thinking maybe it loosened up but it didn't. It burned off the bottom side of the lid but not inside the drum.

Old 04-22-2010, 10:18 PM   #4
biggs98
is one Smokin' Farker

Red liner barrel is good for one thing and it isn't for a UDS. I tried burning one out 4 times for hours along with a wire wheel/brush and couldn't get it out. Use it as a burn barrel and get one thats unlined...trust me.

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #5
g_mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggs98 View Post
Red liner barrel is good for one thing and it isn't for a UDS. I tried burning one out 4 times for hours along with a wire wheel/brush and couldn't get it out. Use it as a burn barrel and get one thats unlined...trust me.

Thanks. I guess I'll start looking for an unlined drum.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:58 AM   #6
Captain Dave
is one Smokin' Farker

If you're trying to burn it with charcoal, thats you're problem. You need to start a fire in it. A real fire. I used a large pallet, broken down and let it blaze...came right off...except for the lid. I wire brushed that because I was afraid it would warp, so i kept it out of the fire.

Last edited by Captain Dave; 04-23-2010 at 02:59 AM.. Reason: spelling
Captain Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 06:46 AM   #7
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Burned mine twice and wire wheeled in between and after the second burn. Went through four large pallets and a pile of brush and wood. Great fire, tons of scrubbing, and three wire wheels. But it's gone.
Weber Q200
1983 WGA
Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
jojo
Found some matches.

I had a paint barrel , went to burn it out had large fire for 3 hours.
stuff still there, then was told paint was water base, so sanded it out .
jojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-2010, 08:51 AM   #9
ComputerMike
Take a breath!

My liner took two burns and a couple of hours with a wire wheel. The next two I built with unlined drums. Lesson learned.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:05 AM   #10
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

I did one burn on my lined barrel,beige liner turned red after the burn and I removed it quite simply with a wirebrush.

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2010, 08:27 AM   #11
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

One thing I never understood and maybe could be explained to me. If it takes a fire of 500 degrees to burn off a liner, then what would it hurt to leave it there when it only going to hit maybe 300* max anyway? In a couple of smokes its going to be covered in fat and creosote.

mranum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
KeythL
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Unhappy Release of Toxic Gases..

Quote:
Originally Posted by mranum View Post
One thing I never understood and maybe could be explained to me. If it takes a fire of 500 degrees to burn off a liner, then what would it hurt to leave it there when it only going to hit maybe 300* max anyway? In a couple of smokes its going to be covered in fat and creosote.

Just because it isn't burning doesn't mean it isn't giving off Toxic Gases...not something you want to risk infusing into your BBQ.

Play it safe, remove the lining one way or another, or get a different barrel (honestly they're not that hard to find...besides it's better to take your time and find that bargain/diamond in the ruff...it's part of the "UDS Process" )

Best of luck,

Keyth<--
KeythL is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-24-2010, 01:43 PM   #13
mranum
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeythL View Post
Just because it isn't burning doesn't mean it isn't giving off Toxic Gases...not something you want to risk infusing into your BBQ.

Play it safe, remove the lining one way or another, or get a different barrel (honestly they're not that hard to find...besides it's better to take your time and find that bargain/diamond in the ruff...it's part of the "UDS Process" )

Best of luck,

Keyth<--

I've already got one done, last summer, just always wondered about the liner theory.
mranum is offline   Reply With Quote