The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-22-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Questions: Cooking a Buncha Pork

I'm cooking about 100 pounds of pork shoulder this weekend and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

1) How many pork butts come in a case?

2) Does anyone know what those blue plastic bags are Myron and a few others on Pitmasters use inside half aluminum pans when injecting (and where to get them)? Are they just clear recycling bags? I usually just inject in bus tubs but the less mess, the better

3) I can't visualize how much meat 13 or so butts cooked and pulled would be. Would it fit in four aluminum half pans to go in to a cambro?

Otherwise I should be good. Cooking on a 22" WSM, 3 18.5" WSMs and can bust out the Bubba keg or a couple Weber kettles indirect if I run out of room.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 05:39 PM   #2
bbqbull

Downloads: 1

Here in Michigan I get 8 butts to a case, can't awnser the other 2 ??s for ya Clint.

KC I miss your advice.

Heavily medicated for your protection.

Klose Mobile Pit
Klose Owners Reccomended Pit
Cookshack Smokette
Gasser
Little Chief Smoker
Large BGE
Gifted to me my Pit Barrel Smoker
bbqbull is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 05:47 PM   #3
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

I think I used to get two butts in a half pan.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
bocephus
Full Fledged Farker

one half pan will hold about 5 lbs of cooked meat... or are you talking while raw for cooking... that would be 2 butts in a pan, I have no idea about the bags, I would just injcet them in the cryovac if your really trying to stay ckean, and keep them in the bus tubs, and Ive only bought one case of pork, and it had 10 butts, around 80 lbs worth hope this helped

Unread 04-22-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
one half pan will hold about 5 lbs of cooked meat... or are you talking while raw for cooking... that would be 2 butts in a pan, I have no idea about the bags, I would just injcet them in the cryovac if your really trying to stay ckean, and keep them in the bus tubs, and Ive only bought one case of pork, and it had 10 butts, around 80 lbs worth hope this helped
Great idea about the cryo. Easy peazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
I think I used to get two butts in a half pan.
Thanks Ray. Whatever won't fit in the cambro can go in a cooler. I'm shipping most of it off to some fundraiser then feeding a brithday/first communion crowd with the rest along with a bunch of ribs and a carrot to share.
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis

Unread 04-22-2010, 05:58 PM   #6
Big_T_BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Here it's 6 butts to a case
Big_T_BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #7
gsmith
Full Fledged Farker

I get my meat at Bj's wholesale and it varies from case to case - they usually run around 64 lbs to a case which could be 8 butts or last year when they were running small it could be 10-12

case price I get from BJ's is $1.09 lb for butts
gsmith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM   #8
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

RD in your neck of the woods got me a case of 8 butts, 2 butts per cryo. This was about 4 months ago, maybe 5.
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; Rapid-Fire-Red Thermapen!; Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE!
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
wheelterrapin
Take a breath!

The blue bags that Myron uses are XL-4 (Extra Large) storage bags that you can usually get at Walmart but you will have to go to the Sporting Department or the department where they have storage containers, you will not find them in the same area as the small storage bags and freezer bags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeInDaEye View Post
I'm cooking about 100 pounds of pork shoulder this weekend and have a couple questions I'm hoping someone can help with.

1) How many pork butts come in a case?

2) Does anyone know what those blue plastic bags are Myron and a few others on Pitmasters use inside half aluminum pans when injecting (and where to get them)? Are they just clear recycling bags? I usually just inject in bus tubs but the less mess, the better

3) I can't visualize how much meat 13 or so butts cooked and pulled would be. Would it fit in four aluminum half pans to go in to a cambro?

Otherwise I should be good. Cooking on a 22" WSM, 3 18.5" WSMs and can bust out the Bubba keg or a couple Weber kettles indirect if I run out of room.
wheelterrapin is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #10
CBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Clint,

I was surprised to see Myron using the same bags we have used for years. They are XL Sized Ziploc storage bags. You can find them at Home Depot. (The XXL is too big.) Amazon has them too, but Home Depot is cheaper. ( http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Big-Bag...1990086&sr=8-3 )
www.teamzbq.com

KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2010, 12:22 AM   #11
stiffy
Full Fledged Farker

It is alot to cook, you will have an advantage though since you only have one rack and don't need to worry about swapping racks like I do in my drum. Two to a pan is my norm, one on top if I run out of pans. Always have lots of foil on hand. Good Luck!!!!
Scrap Yard Weber Finds: OTS 22" Firepit DA(2001), Smokey Joe Silver EO(1995), 22" OTS J(1987), Weber 18.5" H(1986), 18.5" OTS Super Cool Red F(1984), 22.5" 3 Wheeler N(1991)*Donated to a friend*, 22.5" 3 Wheeler B(1980)
stiffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #12
SmokeInDaEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBQ View Post
Clint,

I was surprised to see Myron using the same bags we have used for years. They are XL Sized Ziploc storage bags. You can find them at Home Depot. (The XXL is too big.) Amazon has them too, but Home Depot is cheaper. ( http://www.amazon.com/Ziploc-Big-Bag...1990086&sr=8-3 )
Ah, I use those too for leftovers after a contest. Seems like clear recycling bags would work too if you're not carrying the meat around in them (fwoosh mod).

Decided I'm only injecting the butts for my son's party. I'm not wasting my #@%#* award winning pork injection on a #@%* charity event.