ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

Unread 04-21-2010, 02:25 PM   #1
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4
Default I have a question

Is the throwdown vote based on

Photograph only, or recipe or originality or creativity... or what?

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:49 PM   #2
BobBrisket

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I mostly vote this way.....First, which one would I most like to eat. Second, overall photo set up, etc. (photo quality excluded, but sometimes used as a tie breaker) Very close second is the technique used to prepare it, creativity, etc. But it's your vote. You could vote on anything that strikes you.
If I had included some fuzzy slippers and a poofy robe would you have voted for mine!!! Just askin.......

Bob
UDS, Pit Barrel Cooker-Courtesy of Poobah, WSM, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver B, Lil' Chief Smoker, Lodge Sportman Grill, Backyard Fire Pit, Dutch Ovens, Discada Set Up!
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver

My BEST Compliment......"You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son.
Git Smokin, Dan!

Last edited by BobBrisket; 04-21-2010 at 03:26 PM..
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't vote for photography, unless it just showcases an already outstanding recipe and presentation. Creativity on the subject and just plain what makes me hungry are major factors. If photography were paramount, then I'd have more notches in my spatula for the Zero's club.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:03 PM   #4
lcbateman3
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 1

I vote on creativity first and most. And then what makes me hungry then by presentation.

You only fail if you do not try.
lcbateman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
bigabyte

Uploads: 1

There are no rules on how to vote. People are free to choose how to vote. Some look for photo quality primarily, others for how tasty it looks, others for creativity, etc. In the end it all balances out I think because there is no one particular thing that can guarantee a win. I will say that have a nice looking photo is critical though. I have seen photo's of somewhat decent quality beat out photos that could have been magazine covers. However, I have never seen a poor quality photo come close to winning. So being able to take decent photos is important.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

I tend to balance if I want to eat it, it would include ingredients and preparation, then photographic quality. I worked for almost 30 years in the photo industry a lot of editorial food photography is completely inedible. I would hate to think people are doing 'heroes' to the extreme. Not uncommon, I once saw a photo stylist sort through 25 lbs of chocolate candy to create the perfect 1 lb box of heroes. I'm a recent (less than a year) Brethren so has anyone noted any trends? Or ding ding that's why the question was asked.
Some of the ribilator images in the past couple of throwdowns were portfolio quality. So much so that I didn't vote for them because the photography was to good. Ain't that a byatch of a catch 22.
UDS, Weber Kettle, #5 Kamado up for refurbishing,
[COLOR=blue]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen
[/COLOR][COLOR=black]IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS CBJ & CTC
avatar and logo by smilinsantasbbq.com

[/COLOR]
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
Ron_L

For me it is the entry that makes me want to grab it off my my screen and eat it (unless I have a horse in the race ). That takes in all elements, recipe, creativity and photography.

**** In the Greater Chicago Area? Join us for the Annual Northern Illinois Brethren Mid Winter Gathering - Jan. 24th, 2015

The Naked Fatty!

Equipment list temporarily removed
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 03:57 PM   #8
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Since you asked....

After cooking the cast iron throw down, I feel like it becomes "just" a photography/food design contest more than anything else. If you go through the comments the voters make it seems obvious that the voters are not paying close attention to anything else. One comment that I remember went something like this " The wisp of smoke coming off the grill in the picture did it for me" That guy clearly voted on the photograph itself. Those with lesser photographic skill and equipment are out of luck. I understand you have to have a good picture but the rest of the creative process of cooking seems to be forgotten.

I understand this is a fun activity and I really appreciate what Chris does to make it go. I do wish how ever that the cooking process had more to do with the outcome.

I'll make this comparison, cooking a dish in a dutch oven over an open wood fire on the ground is a three hour project and no small amout of work to get it right. Several cooks went this route. The winner cooked steaks and veggies on his BGE. Thats not is the same league in difficulty in my book and in the end, one sweet picture of that fine steak dinner determined the winner. The cooking process was no longer a factor. If you can't compete as a photograher oh well....
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-21-2010, 04:31 PM   #9
deguerre

Zilla made a good point...but that was the throwdown I voted for a cake baked in a dutch oven on a grill with coals also laid over the top cover. The photograph could have been much higher quality but the idea and the actual recipe really grabbed my vote. As I said in that thread, I didn't even have to think about it really. Of course, that entry did not win...
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:00 PM   #10
bigabyte

Uploads: 1

I don't think it's just a photography contest. I do agree with Zilla that in the case of the Cast Iron Throwdown, that puff of smoke probably garnered a LOT of votes. However, I can recall some Throwdowns where entries were posted where MANY people commented that the photo was so good it was well deserving of the cover of a magazine (and it was that good), but it did not win. So the best photograph is not what is required to win. I still say a poor photograph will never win though, no matter how creative or well executed the dish was.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #11
deguerre

Somebody want to send me their digital SLR they're no longer using?
Unread 04-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #12
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 15
Uploads: 4

ok.. now im not confused at all.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 06:01 PM   #13
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

All are valid points....perhaps the throwdown category could be more
specific. Such as: if Cast Iron is chosen again....it could be listed as.

"Cast Iron Cookware only...no cast iron grates"
And so on for each category.

But; there will always be some questions about votes and entries into
each throwdown.
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:09 PM   #14
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillman View Post
All are valid points....perhaps the throwdown category could be more
specific. Such as: if Cast Iron is chosen again....it could be listed as.

"Cast Iron Cookware only...no cast iron grates"
And so on for each category.
I have not been around here long, but I'm going to voice my opinion,..

I think that the criteria for the throwdown should be left entirely up to the category chooser. I also think it's up to the moderator at hand, to point out if the category could be interpreted "loosely" and offer advice to tighten up the TD title, but ultimately leave the decision up to the chooser, not the opinion of the moderator. (Good or bad)

If you want a Cast Iron Throwdown in cookware only, then win one and select it that way, don't mandate it, I think it lessens what amounts to the reward for winning.

FWIW I loved the winning shot, food and photo and that is a winning combo for me...

JM2C

Mike D
The BBQ QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2010, 08:15 PM   #15
LMAJ

I usually vote on the entry I would most like to sink my teeth into. That is not always the one with the prettiest picture....
1 Large BGE and table - 8/29/12
1 18.5 new to me WSM
Super Fast BLUE and RED Thermapen
1 - The Great Outdoors Smoker Sea Bug cooker
1 - Fantastic hubby - the original Big Al