ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-18-2010, 08:54 PM   #1
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default London Broil ?

Amber found a london broil and we have no Idea what to do with it any help would be appreciated.
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #2
Brauma
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Reverse seer? Rub with Bovine Bold or any other steak rub. Montreal will do. Smoke them until 150 internal then throw right over some very hot coals and seered the grill marks. Let rest. Slice against grain.

"Life's too short to drink cheap beer or eat crotchpot BBQ"

NB Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs: Poncho - Large, and Lefty - Small; Weber Kettles; 6' fire pit; Super fast Blue Thermapen
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 03:39 AM   #3
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

What Mark said ^^^^^^ but I also like to marinate the meat first with Yoshida's Gourmet Sauce, Worsteschire, and Kitchen Bouquet. It also doesn't hurt to hit it with a jaccard if you have one.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Earl
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

London Broil is a method of preparation, not a cut of meat. Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves.

Some believe it should just be pan fried and others want it marinated. In either case it should be cooked to no more than medium rare (130° - 135°). Any more than that and it will be tough.

What you have could be flank steak, top round, sirloin tip, etc. In any case it should be a lean cut with the grain running the long way through the cut. Season/marinade as you will and sear over high heat 3 - 4 minutes per side. Move to a cooler area of the grill and cook to medium rare. Slice thin against the grain. If it's a flank steak hold the knife at a 45° angle to the cutting board as you slice.

Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-19-2010, 06:06 AM   #5
NRA4Life
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah, what Earl said ^^^^. Thin sliced, don't overcook it.
Superior SS-3 - Courtesy of Gainesville Jaycees and Superior Smokers
2 Custom Built Reverse Flow Stickburners
Weber 22.5" WSM
Weber 26.75" OTG
Weber Blue 2000 Stainless Performer
Weber Red 1998 Stainless Performer
NRA4Life is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 06:25 AM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I like to marinate them in Italian Salad dressing for about a half a day and throw them on the smoker until med rare and slice wafer thin and pile high on a crusty roll.........Good stuff
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-19-2010, 07:42 AM   #7
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl View Post
London Broil is a method of preparation, not a cut of meat. Yeah, it's one of my pet peeves.

Some believe it should just be pan fried and others want it marinated. In either case it should be cooked to no more than medium rare (130° - 135°). Any more than that and it will be tough.

What you have could be flank steak, top round, sirloin tip, etc. In any case it should be a lean cut with the grain running the long way through the cut. Season/marinade as you will and sear over high heat 3 - 4 minutes per side. Move to a cooler area of the grill and cook to medium rare. Slice thin against the grain. If it's a flank steak hold the knife at a 45° angle to the cutting board as you slice.

Enjoy! Let us know how it turns out.
Yeah what you said. BTW you have a great pet peeve there.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

I like to marinate overnight, then cook indirect to 125. Do the reverse sear 3-4 min a side. Let it rest 15 min and slice across the grain.

Unread 04-19-2010, 08:20 AM   #9
BluesDaddy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobKC View Post
I like to marinate overnight, then cook indirect to 125. Do the reverse sear 3-4 min a side. Let it rest 15 min and slice across the grain.
What Rob said - marinate overnight. Haven't tried the reverse sear, but should work well with the cuts usually labelled "London Broil". Hot and fast is NOT the way to go with these, usually. They can be mighty tasty, though - enjoy!
BluesDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #10
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
I like to marinate them in Italian Salad dressing for about a half a day and throw them on the smoker until med rare and slice wafer thin and pile high on a crusty roll.........Good stuff
Yep, that's pretty much how I do them, and if not smoked then seared and grilled to rare.
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 09:00 AM   #11
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Earl and I share a pet peeve

I take mine to 130 and then rest before slicing. No marinade. Just a coating of Montreal Steak Seasoning that has been given a whirl or to in a coffee grinder to break up the bigger bits.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM   #12
mgwerks
Full Fledged Farker

London Broil came to fashion and was quite the thing in the 1960's. It is traditionally made from flank steak, and yes, it's a dish, not a cut of meat. If you see meat labeled as London Broil in the market, jack up the butcher and ask him what cut it is.

I like to marinate my flank steaks overnight, and then they hit a hot grill on both sides until the ol' thermopen registers 125*. Then I pull and foil for like 5 minutes. Sliced thin and at an angle, like this- \ , not this- | ,will give better presentation and larger slices.

This is like a serious pet peeve of mine, too. It rises to the level of beans in chili or boiled ribs.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:27 PM   #13
Redheart
is one Smokin' Farker

Not that I want to high jack this thread , but I agree with the peeve. My big peeve is 'Choice' Prime Rib. If it ain't 'Prime' it is just a rib roast, (not that rib roast is bad'.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:34 PM   #14
littlechief
Got Wood.

London broil makes some fine jerkey.

Unread 04-19-2010, 12:38 PM   #15
jswordy
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
Italian dressing is the secret ingredient to a lot of, "What is that you used to make this so good" comments. Shhh, don't tell!