The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-18-2010, 12:55 AM   #16
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I can't find my source, but, MSG is a salt of glutamic acid, which is the constituent ingredient that contributes the umami flavor to items like seaweed and anchovies. Some people feel the extraction of the glutamic acid as a salt causes it to be chemically changed in a manner that can cause allergic reactions.

What really frosts me is that I thought I had a link to a paper that covered a lot of this from chemical, legal and epidemiological sources and now I can't find it.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #17
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I for one have not paid much attention to MSG. But in the previous thread about it I learned some valuable lessons about my problems and how they might be related, namely wheat allergies.

I have already sent a few questions to my GI. And you can bet I will be looking at labels a little closer now.

Thanks all, Jim

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote