The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-16-2010, 03:15 PM   #16
thirdeye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

I'm not much of a sauce or glaze guy, and I use a salt/pepper seasoning on beef. I do use rubs for pork that have sugar, and it's usually layered with a spicy rub....so in that case it's giving another flavor and balancing at the same time.

Sugars are added to brines to kill some of the harshness of the salt, and since they are carried into the cells of the muscle, it adds an internal flavor.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I'm not much of a sauce or glaze guy, and I use a salt/pepper seasoning on beef. I do use rubs for pork that have sugar, and it's usually layered with a spicy rub....so in that case it's giving another flavor and balancing at the same time.

Sugars are added to brines to kill some of the harshness of the salt, and since they are carried into the cells of the muscle, it adds an internal flavor.
See I told you all that I might learn something.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2010, 04:38 PM   #18
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

I only use some sugar or honey in my BBQ Sauces, and not on my meat...It is served on the side in case someone wants it....I for one like my Bar B Que in it's natural form.. The smokey taste is enough
peppasawce is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-16-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I'm going to add more sugar to everything to replace all that farking MSG I've been using!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the BBQ Brethren Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #20
bbqpitstop

Downloads:
Uploads:

Love the KC style of "sweet".....a nice thinner tomato based product than what we're fed at a lot of restaurants in upstate New York.....Unfortunately up here a lot of places over do the sweet with a thick molasses, brown sugar sauce that you could stand up a spoon in.....they tend to do that to the beans as well.....we've converted plenty of folks to the Kansas City style of sweetness......and we do a southwestern bean with a tad of honey and not one speck of brown sugar or molasses. People are shocked when they find out the ribs or beans they just got done loving is missing these two ultra sweet ingredients.

Unread 04-16-2010, 09:30 PM   #21
zydecopaws
Babbling Farker

I don't ever use it on beef or fish, and rarely on chicken (except when making pulled chicken or teriyaki anything). I use it in my basic rib rub recipe but that is mostly to balance out the hot from the copious amounts of cayenne. Like others have said, I'll use it on pulled pork for a nice bark (again, also to balance out the pepper/hot).

MOINK Ball Wizard and ALF Award Recipient

Webers up the wazoo, a bunch o' Pyromids, Bubba Ho-Keg, and the CrockaQue
zydecopaws is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2010, 09:37 PM   #22
JamesTX
is one Smokin' Farker

The best way to do it is to open a bottle of sweet Big Red to wash down your salty brisket.
JamesTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2010, 10:25 PM   #23
bmanMA
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a similar question; why all the freakin' salt? Gah!
bmanMA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-16-2010, 10:52 PM   #24
Haltech
Full Fledged Farker

Pork Butt or Shoulder need a lot of seasoning. Thats a lot of meat to flavor.

If you want to go basic, you could do finely ground salt, 1/3 cup on your butt and the flavor would come out quite mellow. If you go back in time, say to the 50s, all they really had was salt, black pepper and chili powder. They made due with that pretty well infact.
[COLOR=Lime]GREEN[/COLOR] [COLOR=SeaGreen][B]Top Gear Formula Model[/B][/COLOR] Therm0Pen
[SIZE="2"][COLOR="Magenta"]Rubs Of Choice - [COLOR="Black"][B]Jacked UP BBQ & Plowboys Yardbird[/B][/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
Haltech is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2010, 12:35 AM   #25
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
My short answer would be, for the same reason that fast food combo meals include a sweet soft drink. Savory, salty and sweet are a great combination, and the marketing folks know it.

My specific reasons are:
  • Balances the salt
  • Balances the acridity and bitterness of the smoke.
  • Bark formation
  • Helps denature (tenderize) the protein
  • Hits one more of the five tastes that the tongue detects (pungent, sweet, sour, bitter, and salty). The more tastebuds you tickle, the better.
John
Pretty much what I was thinking...Splenda is an expensive alternitive.
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2010, 08:17 AM   #26
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmanMA View Post
I have a similar question; why all the freakin' salt? Gah!
I for one have cut way back on the salt too. When I started this my thinking was that for one reason or another it looked like sugar overkill with the amounts being used in some of the recipes! You could start a thread on salt. I bet it would be a good one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haltech View Post
Pork Butt or Shoulder need a lot of seasoning. Thats a lot of meat to flavor.

If you want to go basic, you could do finely ground salt, 1/3 cup on your butt and the flavor would come out quite mellow. If you go back in time, say to the 50s, all they really had was salt, black pepper and chili powder. They made due with that pretty well infact.
And I agree with this. Most of us have grown up on over processed food and have forgotten what the basics are. Personally, I cook up a piece of meat to taste the flavor of the meat. And then use the seasoning to enhance that flavor, not hide it.

A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.

Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:04 AM   #27
J Appledog
On the road to being a farker

I'd love to start a salt thread!
and Shirley, the Lang

FBA; GLBBQ; KCBS CBJ
Team Mrs. Dog's M22 BBQ

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind. Humphrey Bogart[/FONT]
J Appledog is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2010, 09:13 AM   #28
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm with John...^^^...it's all about the flavor profile your looking for...aka...balance.
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2010, 10:06 AM   #29
Dave Russell
is One Chatty Farker

[QUOTE=JD McGee;1253608]I'm with John...^^^...it's all about the flavor profile your looking for...aka...balance. [/QUOTE

Yep. What I don't get is when folks go overboard. I've still got most of a bottle of regular Blues Hog bbq sauce in the fridge from my last butt cook. That stuff tastes like brown sugar in a bottle, with a wee bit of spice added. Total overkill!
Dave Russell is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #30
Spode
Got Wood.

Can someone help me understand how sugar caramalizes to form bark please? I'm in Australia and there arn't any BBQ restaurants I can learn from , so it's pictures guiding me only!

I use the rib rub in Chris Lilly's book, which is 2 parts sugar to 1 part paprika. I find that the sugar seems to make it all disolve, so you get red coloured ribs but it's not like caked on powder. I have tried recipes that use little or no sugar and it's more like powder but it seems to form a chewy coating when cooked that is a clear layer on the meat.

So either I am not actually understanding what a bark is, never having seen one in the wild, or I am not cooking hot enough for the sugar to caramalize. Could also be I am rubbing it in too much, do you rub a rub or just pat it on or just sprinkle and leave?

Ryan
Spode is offline   Reply With Quote