MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Smoke Show
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Rookie with a brisket, need advice

My wife brought home a 4lb brisket today. I have never cooked a brisket before, so I'm looking for any advice I can get. I'm going to smoke it in my UDS. I tried using the search function on here, but came up with nothing.
Smoke Show is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

Use the google search at the bottom of the page, you will find a ton of results. A 4 pound flat is smaller than anything I have ever cooked but here is my advice.

Rub it and cook on the UDS at 275 or so fat side down. Wrap in foil at about 160 degrees internal. Start checking for tenderness at around 195. When a probe slides in without resistance wrap it up and put it in a dry colloer for an hour or two. Take it out and let it rest aor about a half hour then slice against the grain. You should be good to go.

Even just salt and black pepper makes a great rub. Good luck.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

good advice by Brian...

It takes a special person (and several brisket rookies have), but give Donnie's Night Train consideration a read through too..

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ht=night+train

even if you don't go this route, it will at least have you re-think and ensure you keep it simple.
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have found that 275F does not work for me for a small brisket, I have done better under 250F (yes, I know, seems like a small difference). Other than that, what Brian said will work. I do not foil, but, I rarely cook that small of a brisket. Foiling feels like the right idea to me.

I do like the Night Train experiment as a learning process that does produce a tasty meal at the same time.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 05:20 AM   #5
CarbonToe
is One Chatty Farker

For a brisket that small I use a combination of what Brian and LanArc have suggested.

Cook it at about 250. Popping a chunk or two of Cherry or Hickory every hour until a probe slides in without much resistance (~5-6 hours / 195 deg). I then remove from the smoker, wrap in foil and then in a couple of beach towels and then throw in a cooler for about 30mins.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Smoke Show
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Thanks guys. I am going to use your suggestions and see how it turn out.
Smoke Show is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
BBQ Grail
somebody shut me the fark up.

This must be a 4lb trimmed brisket flat. Chances are there is very little fat cap on it. Correct? If that's the case I'd really consider going even lower on the temp, maybe around 225 degrees. It's going to cook fast so you've got to watch it.

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 07:25 AM   #8
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

bigabyte wrote this tutorial, it's great.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...flat+point+fat

Four lbs is small but sometimes that's all I can get too. I like the lower temp but have found that you have to let it cook. Usually takes a lot longer than you think it will.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-13-2010, 08:24 AM   #9
topchefvt52
Knows what a fatty is.

CJ your link is kaput.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:46 AM   #10
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

If all the external fat has been trimmed, I have covered the top side with bacon strips.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:59 AM   #11
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

This link has done this before, don't know why?

Try this one it may look the same but I copied it differently.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...flat+point+fat

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote