The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #16
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by monty3777 View Post
Gotcha. What about the size and shape of the chunks? DO they make sense? Should they be more like pulled pork or would adding a bunch like this do the trick.

The key for me is to make sure every single chunk I put in the box is uber tender when it goes in the box. Some of pieces will harden when they cool. We finger test every piece multiple times in the process of sorting and selecting. If I'm cooking two butts, there's usually not alot of extra candidates. I shoot for thumb size pieces (I have fat thumbs) that have a lot of bark and usually end up with some bigger pieces. If the pieces are not thick enough, the bark makes them too tough. Each piece has to have bark on it and each piece needs to be uber tender.

And for pieces where you use a knife or scissors to cut, I suggest hiding the clean sliced end under some more natural looking pieces.

There are some great pork threads with pics in this forum if you search for them.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-13-2010, 07:00 AM   #17
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Our scores were low all around on pork. It was the only category we didn't get a call in last year. I wish I could add a taste function to this forum!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunSmoker View Post
I hear ya bro!!
Maybe we can get the mods and bbqchef working on scratch-o-vision!

Unread 04-13-2010, 07:27 AM   #18
RobKC
is one Smokin' Farker

One thing to add to Paul's list.... you should thin out your sauce just a bit with a little apple juice or liquid of your choice. That will keep the meat from looking so saucy.

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-13-2010, 09:36 AM   #19
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 2

Great comments so far, only thing I would add is that in the second photo, there looks to be a BIG piece of fat in the middle right side of the MM slice. If that doesn't fully render out and the judge gets a big bite of fat (say they eat from that end) then you scores will go down big time.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-13-2010, 11:00 AM   #20
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Gotcha. What about the size and shape of the chunks? DO they make sense? Should they be more like pulled pork or would adding a bunch like this do the trick.
Size and shape of the chunks looks about perfect to me. I suggest
filling up the turn in box as much as reasonable/possible. Do that with
pulled pork or more chunks. Set your best looking/tasting pieces on top.

And, what SmokinOkie said about fat. Try, as much as possible, to have NO FAT in the box.

I, for one, and being of a judge persuasion, HATE pork fat, but LOOOOOVE pork. :-)

On sauce, they're not judging the sauce, perse. It should compliment the flavor of the meat,
but not overpower it. That's the other reason they're talking about thinning it earlier. Not too
much sauce.

Unread 04-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #21
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 2

for the pieces that look over "sauced" try this. Make your box up, put it in an actual container and then let it sit 10 min.

It's surprising how much of that sauce isn't there 10 min later. Warm meat tends to soak up the sauce. Unless it's REAL thick.
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote