ಚಿಕನ್
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun weekly contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted each week. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, and the chance to choose the next week's category. Fun people only please! If you take this too seriously you will have to leave the party until you are fun again.

View Poll Results: Who should win the BBQ Brethren "Cast Iron" Throwdown?
1 T Scot 5 3.18%
Boat-n-BBQ 18 11.46%
BobBrisket 18 11.46%
bowhnter 3 1.91%
cmcadams 3 1.91%
Cracklin Jeorge 4 2.55%
Derek 2 1.27%
Hofy 2 1.27%
jagardn 3 1.91%
KnucklHed BBQ 7 4.46%
Meat Burner 1 0.64%
MikeR 1 0.64%
Niek 11 7.01%
Paulmark 1 0.64%
RDOwens 5 3.18%
rolf 37 23.57%
Ron L 2 1.27%
Shiz-Nit 0 0%
Sparky 0 0%
swamprb 3 1.91%
swibirun 11 7.01%
The BBQ QB 0 0%
thirdeye 11 7.01%
tjus77 0 0%
ZILLA 9 5.73%
Voters: 157. You may not vote on this poll

Unread 04-05-2010, 07:25 PM   #16
"Sparky"
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwood View Post
Dont consider cooking on a Cast Iron Grate.....Cast Iron Cooking....
Why not?I'm not trying to stir the pot,but just wondering.The rules didn't specify Dutch oven or CI skillet,so I figure that anything goes,again,just my thinking.After all,it is cooking on CI.I guess that I won't get a single vote(which I obviously don't deserve),since I voted for Rolf.I just like sharing pics
"Sparky" is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:33 PM   #17
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

FWIW, I chose the topic and I see nothing wrong with cooking on CI vs in it.

The throwdown, is more about your personal inspiration and desire to try something new or old, while along the way sharing a little of that life experience with the rest of us.

Is participation large because the restrictions on the throwdown are light? Possibly. But, in the end I just wanted an excuse to play with my CI. I'm glad to see so many others wanted one too.

Mike D
The BBQ QB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:40 PM   #18
1_T_Scot
is Blowin Smoke!

Dang they all look great. I thought we had to have a picture of the CI included.

Supporting Disabled Veterans. Link Removed. Diveheart .org

Large Big Green Egg - Fathers Day 2009
1_T_Scot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #19
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

The picture of my cast iron is in the cooking thread along with several other pictures of the process.

I for one think there is a very big difference in cooking in cast iron and cooking on a grill with cast iron grates. I entered knowing the rules though and knew going in what I was going to see, but it was still fun. Not everyone on the forum can cook over a live fire in the backyard so the inclusion of cast iron grates was more to broaden the field and include more members than anything else, and that's cool with me. I do wish we could all take as nice a picture as some of the others can.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 08:56 PM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sparky" View Post
Why not?I'm not trying to stir the pot,but just wondering.The rules didn't specify Dutch oven or CI skillet,so I figure that anything goes,again,just my thinking.After all,it is cooking on CI.I guess that I won't get a single vote(which I obviously don't deserve),since I voted for Rolf.I just like sharing pics

I personally like having the limitation to overcome and allowing CI grates seems to eliminate the limitation completely. I always award extra points to those who have a unique or unusual way to address the category limitation -- points for difficulty and uniqueness, essentially. These are worth the most points. There is also (in decreasing order of importance) drool factor, photography, layout, what I am hungry for when I cast my vote, having the suggestion of an alcoholic beverage, side dishes, and of course having a really cool looking castle in the background. While I agree that a perfect picture of a perfectly grilled steak scores at the top in drool, in uniqueness and difficulty it is not so high. Pineapple upside down cake scores VERY high in uniqueness and difficulty, but lower in drool. I also will award handicap points for people who intentionally submit something otherwise thought to be inedible, like chicken salad or broccoli to a BBQ throwdown. These Qers may have a screw or two loose, but you have to admit they have balls and I feel they should be awarded for trying to turn nonfood into food.

There is no right and no wrong way to vote, otherwise every throwdown would have a unanimous winner and the zero club would not be so exclusive.

Any opinions expressed here are likely to change in the near future, especially with regards to Throwdown voting. The important thing is to have fun and take home some new ideas.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is online now   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Unread 04-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #21
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotwood View Post
Dont consider cooking on a Cast Iron Grate.....Cast Iron Cooking....
Well, in the intro to the Throwdown entry thread, CI "grates" were specifically mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_T_Scot View Post
Dang they all look great. I thought we had to have a picture of the CI included.
Yeah, I went one further and thought the entry photo should show something cast iron because after all it was the theme of the Throwdown.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
The picture of my cast iron is in the cooking thread along with several other pictures of the process.

I for one think there is a very big difference in cooking in cast iron and cooking on a grill with cast iron grates. I entered knowing the rules though and knew going in what I was going to see, but it was still fun. Not everyone on the forum can cook over a live fire in the backyard so the inclusion of cast iron grates was more to broaden the field and include more members than anything else, and that's cool with me. I do wish we could all take as nice a picture as some of the others can.
You did a wonderful job with your collection of photos, and based on my interpretation above regarding showing CI in the entry, (plus the way I critique the Throwdown photos) my favorite ones of yours were your table shot (the one with the full plate in the foreground) and the shot with the hot pad on the lid of the Dutch oven.

When I looked through the entry thread, there were two other photographs I thought had a real good shot at stealing the whole show. One was Bob Brisket's Double Dutch oven shot, which he did select as an entry photo. It said it all and made me wish I was sitting in his backyard.... and the other was Swibirun's grate shot, which was not selected for entry. He had cast iron in that photo, captured all the photo attributes I look for, I liked the smoke and the color from the coals, and although that steak was very pretty, I think he showed us the grilling of the onions at a critical moment of the cook. I actually felt like reaching into that picture and giving those onions a stir. heheee.

KCBS - CBJ
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 10:13 PM   #22
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

I don't really care grill vs. pan, once I thought about it. I had fun doing it, it made me buy a c.i. pan(finally) and I tried a recipe I probably would have never tried...And it was a huge hit with the family and friends. I can't really ask for more
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2010, 11:29 PM   #23
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulmark View Post
I don't really care grill vs. pan, once I thought about it. I had fun doing it, it made me buy a c.i. pan(finally) and I tried a recipe I probably would have never tried...And it was a huge hit with the family and friends. I can't really ask for more
Bada-bing, Bada-boom. Truer words...

Mike D
Unread 04-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #24
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

I had assumed that the entries would show what they were cooked on? Great looking food nonetheless..
Gone brick n mortar
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 07:41 AM   #25
beerguy
is One Chatty Farker

I had to go with Knucklheds Pineapple Upside down cake also. It was a teaching moment for me. I have the exact cast iron pot, that is not a dutch oven because the lid is rounded upwards and wont hold coals. But Knucklhed showed me with a little ingeninity that wrapping the lid with foil and turning it upside down the same results could be obtained. I duplicated this cake in my cast iron pot on Sat, and the family said it was the best pineapple upside down cake they ever had. Thx Knucklhed!

Traeger BBQ100
18.5 " WSM X2
Weber Gold Kettle 22 1/2"
Weber 18 1/2 "
Brinkman Gourmet Smoker(retired)
Brinkman 2400 Pro (using sideburner as Charcoal starter)
beerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
Wow. For once I didn't even have to think. The pineapple upside down cake was it as soon as I saw it. (I did look at the rest of the entries to make sure).
Thanks Guerry! I think Pineapple nds!p3 Down Cake is one of those thing you've got to have had or really love in order to appreciate such an ugly ass cake!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Pineapple upside down cake scores VERY high in uniqueness and difficulty, but lower in drool.
Thanks i(Gore)! If you had a slice in front of you, there would be more drool, trust me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerguy View Post
I had to go with Knucklheds Pineapple Upside down cake also. It was a teaching moment for me. I have the exact cast iron pot, that is not a dutch oven because the lid is rounded upwards and wont hold coals. But Knucklhed showed me with a little ingeninity that wrapping the lid with foil and turning it upside down the same results could be obtained. I duplicated this cake in my cast iron pot on Sat, and the family said it was the best pineapple upside down cake they ever had. Thx Knucklhed!
Glad it turned out well for you!! Wasn't so hard after all was it?? I'll be making this cake this summer when camping with the fam for sure!
Need pics!!
BTW - I did NOT turn the lid upside down... I left the lid right side up & sealed. I just made a ring (halo mod) that just sat on top to hold the coals in place... I guess your way worked pretty good tho too!

Thanks for the votes guys, but damn it! I was really hoping to either WIN this sucker (not likely) OR make my way into the Zip-Zero-Zilch club!!

I made the ugliest cake possible and you punish me with votes!
Thank you!

We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 02:15 PM   #27
The BBQ QB
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
I made the ugliest cake possible and you punish me with votes!
Thank you!
Go figure, I make what I consider to be on of the prettiest cakes (Certainly the prettiest I've ever made) and they punish me with no votes?

BTW I consider your PUD Cake very good looking. Mind if I pull some?

Mike D
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:40 PM   #28
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Seems kinda weird comin' from 'nother dude... NTTAWWT...
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:48 PM   #29
Rover24
Full Fledged Farker

I guess it was just my interpretation of the Throwdown, but in a cast iron throwdown, I gotta see some cast iron in the entry. I had to go with the variety of Rolf's on this one...even though all of the entries looked tasty.
Rover24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #30
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Did ya' check out the original thread that Bigabyte linked to? These are just the entry pics. The other thread has all the CI you can handle!