The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 04-02-2010, 12:41 PM   #16
G$
is One Chatty Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty250 View Post
I agree!! Here's something funny. When I first started competing last year before all of this competition chicken research I have been doing I placed in the first 2 competitions in the chicken category. All I did was lightly trim, marinade, rub, and smoke. After those 2 competitions and some heavy research I practiced and competed using the bone-out, heavy uniform trim, scrape skin, parkay bath method and haven't placed in chicken since then! I guess it's time to go back to basics and keep it simple!
We got a first place chicken in Taylor (in 2008 I think) without trimming, deboning, or scraping.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2010, 03:26 PM   #17
MattCom
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
I just don't see how one could demonstrate that with chicken. Unless you've gotten hold of a Chernobyl chicken with six legs!

I have to admit that I don't like "machined"-looking pieces of chicken, but I don't like raggedy, untrimmed chicken either. There's a middle ground of nicely trimmed, presented pieces.
I don't agree with the cloned look of it either, I see it as the trend though.
The chicken we usually put out resembles small catchers mitts and by the score we recieve... they must taste like a mitt too!

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2010, 03:51 PM   #18
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

As an outsider looking in (to the KCBS world) it appears that appearance scores do indeed have more weight than the score sheet would tell. Just because appearance is supposed to matter the least doesn't mean it won't effect the other scores in a detrimental way. If this were not true than why are folks still using garnish and producing ultra uniform unnatural looking chicken? If it really doesn't matter if a tray is garnished or that chicken pieces are naturally different from one another and are presented in their natural form then why does it seem to matter so much? It either matters or it doesn't, it can't be both.
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2010, 04:02 PM   #19
monty3777
is One Chatty Farker

Because it's harder and takes more skill to sculpt chicken. There is no rule that says you need to conform to this standard. Be a REBEL - c'mon, go for it!!!! :)

Unread 04-02-2010, 04:12 PM   #20
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
It either matters or it doesn't, it can't be both.
Honestly, I think it can be both.
I think it does matter, all other things being equal -- but it doesn't matter as much as some think it does.

Good chicken doesn't have to be in unnatural shapes, but unnaturally shaped chicken still has to be good.

Don't practice until you get it right; practice until you can't get it wrong.
Don't overthink or undercook.

Rhythm 'n QUE
Alexa RnQ is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-02-2010, 05:25 PM   #21
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Do you drink Diet Coke with a slice of chocolate cake?

Unread 04-02-2010, 05:35 PM   #22
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Oh hell yes -- mainly because the real-deal cane Coke makes me silly, giggly drunk.

Rhythm 'n QUE

Unread 04-02-2010, 07:24 PM   #23
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

I can see it now

Unread 04-02-2010, 07:36 PM   #24
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivaHerself View Post
Honestly, I think it can be both.
I think it does matter, all other things being equal -- but it doesn't matter as much as some think it does.

Good chicken doesn't have to be in unnatural shapes, but unnaturally shaped chicken still has to be good.
OK, back on topic. Even if it doesn't matter as much as people think, could it still matter too much? You see as much as I love to stir a pot now and again I'm not trying to do it here. I really do think that we need better judging systems for BBQ in all three countries. The USA, Texas, and Canady, we all need to improve. I here and see so much discussion about appearance scores and dissatisfaction with the status-quo, all over the Internet I see it, I don't see how It can't be a problem. FYI, I'm very much dis-satisfied with the Texas system but will take it any day over the current version of the KCBS set. That being said the KCBS rules are close to what we all need but they still need a few heavy tweaks IMO. What's it gonna take?

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #25
Alexa RnQ
is One Chatty Farker

Well, that's where we'll part ways. I don't have any heavy-duty dissatisfactions with KCBS's rules at the moment. I have my moments about IBCA, but we cook satisfactorily under their rules, too.

Of course you'll see posts by those who dislike the status quo -- when was the last time you saw someone go online saying "I LOVE the rules!"

Rhythm 'n QUE

Unread 04-03-2010, 01:14 PM   #26
SirPorkaLot
Babbling Farker

Uploads: 1

I for one refuse to:
  • De-bone thighs - takes away from the flavor believe it or not
  • Use a muffin pan - Myron has to be having the biggest laugh on that one
  • use parkay on my chicken or ribs (or anything for that matter)
  • Sell out - I cook for my pleasure. If it happens to please the judges - great!, if not - I enjoyed myself.
What I will do (do do?):
  • Trim thighs to get them as presentable (and similar size) as possible
  • Use my own process for bite through skin
  • Laugh by butt off watching other teams spend hours prepping chicken into balls, parkay baths & muffin tins - all while I relax with a cold beer
  • Only compete as time & money allows. Fortunately for me, it is a hobby. I am not trying to advertise my restaurant or catering biz, don't need a table full of trophies, and don't expect to walk away with any cash at the end of the comp. Just have a great time with great people.

Back to back winner of the BBQ Brethren Throwdown with a pig leg and something funky
CBBQA & KCBS member: Sir Porkalot BBQ Team
NC & NorCal (Yes I stay confused)
BLUE Thermapen
Visit my website: http://www.sirporkalot.com
SirPorkaLot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 04-03-2010, 01:37 PM   #27
BigButzBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

After recently attending a KCBS judging certification, I do have to say that, they clearly do state that the appearance isn't weighed as heavily as the other factors, however, they spend more time going over appearance than anything else. They state what garnishes to use, how many pieces should be identifiable, pooling, puddling, etc., etc. but, when it comes to taste and tenderness issues, there is little time spent on them and they say that it is up to each persons interpretation. That is why I think there may be a bigger focus on the appearance factor than it truly merits, if it looks good, it looks good. Just make sure you got enough for everyone. I think people need to focus more on what they are happy with because by doing so, it will come out in the end product. On the upside, if they all look exactly the same, then I guess it would come down to purely taste and tenderness alone.

12" Charbroil, SJS, WGA, 22.5 OTG, mUDS, 2 UDS w/AML Wood Art Custom Handles, Pull behind rig , & 1 new rig being built from 500lb tank.

Inventor of: 3BGB! , Shigen! , & Bacone Scotch Egg Sundae!
Big Butz BBQ Products
BigButzBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-03-2010, 02:45 PM   #28
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie's BBQ View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat?? Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..
This is the perfect time to see PIC's, maybe we can compare square vs muffin vs regular shape chicken
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2010, 08:30 AM   #29
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPorkaLot View Post
I for one refuse to:
  • De-bone thighs - takes away from the flavor believe it or not
  • Use a muffin pan - Myron has to be having the biggest laugh on that one
  • use parkay on my chicken or ribs (or anything for that matter)
  • Sell out - I cook for my pleasure. If it happens to please the judges - great!, if not - I enjoyed myself.
What I will do (do do?):
  • Trim thighs to get them as presentable (and similar size) as possible
  • Use my own process for bite through skin
  • Laugh by butt off watching other teams spend hours prepping chicken into balls, parkay baths & muffin tins - all while I relax with a cold beer
  • Only compete as time & money allows. Fortunately for me, it is a hobby. I am not trying to advertise my restaurant or catering biz, don't need a table full of trophies, and don't expect to walk away with any cash at the end of the comp. Just have a great time with great people.
Well said John, I couldn't agree with ya more brotha. Especially about the Parkay....ick. That being said, I think I will still end up stressing more about the chicken than anything else at comps this summer.

STUPID CHICKEN!
KCBS
MABA
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-04-2010, 11:47 AM   #30
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

I just spent what probably totaled 8 hours over 2 days working on chicken for plesent hill only to be rewarded with a pair of 6 in appearance. I think we should just swith to chicken fingers.
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote