MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #1
Willie's BBQ
Banned

Question Am I the only one....

Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat?? Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 07:36 PM   #2
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie's BBQ View Post
Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat?? Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..
Because that would make way to much sense and make our lives easier. That's like asking why they sell 8 hot dog buns in a bag and a 10 pack of hot dogs......

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 07:52 PM   #3
davidh9946
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I don't have the answer but I have not done competitions. I have judged (KCBS certified) and I think it might have something to do with the symmetry of 6 perfectly placed, identical pieces of chicken in the presentation box. Just my 2 cents.
davidh9946 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #4
Paulmark
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidh9946 View Post
I don't have the answer but I have not done competitions. I have judged (KCBS certified) and I think it might have something to do with the symmetry of 6 perfectly placed, identical pieces of chicken in the presentation box. Just my 2 cents.
Must be a six-pack mentality
Paulmark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #5
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Yeah, I don't want to take this off topic, but if I were making a governing body from scratch, I'd require (2)half chickens be cooked.

Also, what's worse is those chicken squares are looking more like chicken balls recently.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #6
Smokin' Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Because even, symetrical, simliar looking pieces of chicken are appealing to the eye, lumpy, uneven, ragged not so much. Looks goods...tastes good kinda thing.

FWIW, I know a pretty successful KCBS team that turns in thighs that look "tidy" but are not uniform (ie, square or round) and score very very well on a regular basis.

For us on the other hand, our chicken doesn't taste good enough for it to look less than perfect

Memphis Pro
Backwoods Fatboy
Backwoods Party
Smokin' Joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 09:22 PM   #7
Merl
Full Fledged Farker

Since last summer all the chicken I see in the judges tent looks like a round biscuit cooked in butter or parkay margarine. But that is just my thoughts.
Merl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 09:56 PM   #8
MoGreen
On the road to being a farker

You're all missing the obvious... it's hip to be square! I'm sorry. I couldn't help myself. Off to the penalty box...
MoGreen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
slowerlowerbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
Yeah, I don't want to take this off topic, but if I were making a governing body from scratch, I'd require (2)half chickens be cooked.
G$, I love that idea. Last year in Dover, I did just that. Had to cut it up to get it in the box. Needless to say I didnt do well, but at least I beat out Paul Peterson of course I had no idea what I was doing. At least it looked like chicken.

However, I have to agree with Smokin' Joe. Symmetrical pieces make a better presentation and that's 1/3 of the score, aint it?
KCBS
MABA
180 CHICKEN - KEYSTONE CLASSIC BARBEQUE, HARRISBURG, PA (10/4/2014)
slowerlowerbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 06:45 AM   #10
Jeff Hughes
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stallardmark View Post

1/3 of the score, aint it?
Not exactly.

Appearance, taste, and tenderness are weighted, with appearance counting the least...
22" Weber Kettle(10 bucks@garage sale)
Jeff Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 07:16 AM   #11
MattCom
Take a breath!

I would think part of it is to show the judges they are all tasting the same exact piece of meat, with that said, then the burden goes on the judges to hopefully have consistent scores... Am I expecting too much?
Let's just hope the trend doesn't carry over to Pulled Pork. It might be tough getting pieces of pulled port to look alike...

WSM 18.5" & 22"
22.5 in Weber Kettle
Smokey Jones
SS UDS 1.0
MattCom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merl View Post
Since last summer all the chicken I see in the judges tent looks like a round biscuit cooked in butter or parkay margarine. But that is just my thoughts.
Merl, I understand you can tell a round biscuit, but how do you tell it was cooked in butter or parkay just by looking?
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM   #13
smoke it if ya got it
Full Fledged Farker

I always thought it was so the judge with the small piece didnt get chicken envy!

[COLOR=red]Rub it till it smokes![/COLOR]
smoke it if ya got it is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #14
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCom View Post
I would think part of it is to show the judges they are all tasting the same exact piece of meat
I just don't see how one could demonstrate that with chicken. Unless you've gotten hold of a Chernobyl chicken with six legs!

I have to admit that I don't like "machined"-looking pieces of chicken, but I don't like raggedy, untrimmed chicken either. There's a middle ground of nicely trimmed, presented pieces.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-02-2010, 11:39 AM   #15
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie's BBQ View Post
I agree!! Here's something funny. When I first started competing last year before all of this competition chicken research I have been doing I placed in the first 2 competitions in the chicken category. All I did was lightly trim, marinade, rub, and smoke. After those 2 competitions and some heavy research I practiced and competed using the bone-out, heavy uniform trim, scrape skin, parkay bath method and haven't placed in chicken since then! I guess it's time to go back to basics and keep it simple!
Smitty250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->