The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:17 PM   #1
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Default Honey Powder - How are you using it?

While watching Pit Masters this past season, I heard Myron say that he used powdered honey in his rubs... I'd never heard of it and started laughing - I figured Myron was pulling another "muffin pan joke" on us all.

But then I googleized it and found out that there's all sorts of dry honey products! Dehydrated honey, granulated honey, honey powder... wtf?? where has this stuff been and why have I never heard of it?

So, I finally got me some, how do you folks use it?

Hybrid Pellet Pooper [I][B]"The Meat Vault"[/B][/I] - [B][COLOR=red]3[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED [/I][/B][/COLOR]Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & [COLOR=black]pre '79[/COLOR] - [COLOR=black][B][I]Black[/I][/B][/COLOR] OT Platinum (DH) - [B]SS AusPit[/B] - [B]Rib-O-Lator[/B] - SJ UDS (DI) - [B][I]CRAZY FAST[/I][/B] [COLOR=yellow][B][SIZE=3]Yeller[/SIZE] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 02:24 PM   #2
GrillVuzzo
Got Wood.

Never heard of it. Looks cool though! Where did you find it?

Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #3
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

That sounds like a sweet idea.

Old 03-31-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

There is a large asian market called H-Mart near us that carries honey powder. I have used it as an ingredient in rubs, and also in some injections as it dissolves quite easily.

Don't remember hearing it mentioned in pitmasters, but yeah, you can find it. At the very least I'm sure you can find it online
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #5
cdollar
Full Fledged Farker

Be sure you look at the composition. All the honey powder I've found contains at least 50% sucrose. Some brands have other stuff in them too.

When I asked about it, I was told they put sucrose in it so it wouldn't pack up.

DEIT: That's maltodextrin, not sucrose, sorry.
Chuck

Last edited by cdollar; 03-31-2010 at 04:52 PM..
cdollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
Willie's BBQ
Banned

[QUOTE=Stoke&Smoke;1234277]. I have used it as an ingredient in rubs, and also in some injections as it dissolves quite easily.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke&Smoke View Post
There is a large asian market called H-Mart near us that carries honey powder. I have used it as an ingredient in rubs, and also in some injections as it dissolves quite easily.

Don't remember hearing it mentioned in pitmasters, but yeah, you can find it. At the very least I'm sure you can find it online
Yup, found it at an asian market in seattle (Montana isn't really known for it's diverse ethnic food availability)

It was in one of the early episodes of Pit masters, and just an off handed comment that Myron made, real easy to miss him saying it, I had to back it up a couple of times to figure out what he said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdollar View Post
Be sure you look at the composition. All the honey powder I've found contains at least 50% sucrose. Some brands have other stuff in them too.

When I asked about it, I was told they put sucrose in it so it wouldn't pack up.

Chuck
Good idea, this one says it's cactus honey & maltodextrin, I'll call te company and find out what the ratio is!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie's BBQ View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what he said
So do you use it to replace all of the white or brown sugar in a rub or injection, or just part?
Hybrid Pellet Pooper [I][B]"The Meat Vault"[/B][/I] - [B][COLOR=red]3[/COLOR][/B] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED [/I][/B][/COLOR]Weber Kettles O, H (with Cajun Bandit Mod) & [COLOR=black]pre '79[/COLOR] - [COLOR=black][B][I]Black[/I][/B][/COLOR] OT Platinum (DH) - [B]SS AusPit[/B] - [B]Rib-O-Lator[/B] - SJ UDS (DI) - [B][I]CRAZY FAST[/I][/B] [COLOR=yellow][B][SIZE=3]Yeller[/SIZE] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/B][/COLOR]

[B][I]We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this. ~Butz[/I][/B]
[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 03-31-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
RX2006JE
On the road to being a farker

i use it in rubs for chicken and ribs and what i have is a powder and not granulated. works well and has a great flavor. I get mine from www.spicebarn.com
RX2006JE is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 03:07 PM   #9
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklHed BBQ View Post
Yup, found it at an asian market in seattle (Montana isn't really known for it's diverse ethnic food availability)

It was in one of the early episodes of Pit masters, and just an off handed comment that Myron made, real easy to miss him saying it, I had to back it up a couple of times to figure out what he said.

Good idea, this one says it's cactus honey & maltodextrin, I'll call te company and find out what the ratio is!

So do you use it to replace all of the white or brown sugar in a rub or injection, or just part?
For me, just for part. I like to use turbinado as well. White and brown sugars burn too easily for my liking
Too many cookers to list

Old 03-31-2010, 03:13 PM   #10
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Ok, so calling the company was an awesome expirence... Fella could barely understand english, let alone speak it.

Took about 10 tries to get him to understand "Honey Powder".

When He did finally get it, he says "call back later, ask for Choi" Hopefully Choi and I will have a more productive conversation.

[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 03-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #11
DJ Butter
Found some matches.

Reminds me of some of my college classes!
DJ Butter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 03:49 PM   #12
Willie's BBQ
Banned

reminds me of the poeple i work with
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 04:02 PM   #13
1FUNVET
Babbling Farker

Like the people that call me tring to sell a new product.Asked the guy if someone in his company spoke English and his reply was" i speak English very well". I told him to keep practicing.
1FUNVET is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-31-2010, 04:05 PM   #14
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

This looks like a decent source for those with no asian markets nearby
http://www.amazon.com/Stakich-HONEY-.../dp/B001LR2CP2
Too many cookers to list

Old 03-31-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Exclamation Not Really Honey??

Searching online I've seen conflicting statements about honey powder...

Some are saying that the white fine powder product is not honey at all, but actually dehydrated Agave nectar.

Anyone know anything about this?

[B][/B]
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")