עָטִין
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-27-2010, 05:38 PM   #16
High Q
Take a breath!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default ....well when we last left our story....

Around 3 hours in, I pulled the butt when it went over 160. Here's a picture of it before I foiled the pan.

The bone was already pulling away from the meat pretty well

At four hours on the money, I probed the brisket and it had a winning texture. I pulled it from the smoker, wrapped it loosely in foil and towels and put it in the cooler to rest for an additional hour.

I unwrapped and sliced the brisket after an hour's rest:

I was very happy with the brisket. It had good moisture and great taste. The bark was soft because of the foil but the rub really came through. Texasbbqrub Brisket Blend is a flavor profile I really like.

I pulled the pork butt at 5 hours, it's temperature got to 195 before I pulled it. Here's a shot of it before I wrapped it and put it in the cooler to rest.

I'll follow up with another shot or two once I've pulled the pork. I could get used to this high heat thing. My technique needs some more work but I can't complain about the results - or the night's sleep.

Chris - I still think that was a flat. Looking at the slices (and I sliced the whole thing), I see where I think the point was removed and I ran across very little cross grain meat. Maybe it was a brisket with (ahem) a small deckle. Maybe you can see better in the photos. I'm still not sure.

Suprfast - I put 80% of a bag of oak lump in the charcoal ring before lighting a full chimney of lump to get the show started. The total duration of this cook was 5+ hours and I was losing steam toward the end. I could have probably made 6 hours at 295+ but that would have been the end of the hunt. I was able to hold 300 for 5+ hours with the vents 100% open. I did not have to leave the door ajar.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848
High Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2010, 10:38 PM   #17
High Q
Take a breath!

Default Just to finish the story

I got the pork butt out of the cooler about 5:30p. I had planned to take it out earlier and pull it but got tied up running errands and such. I pulled it a little over 5 hours after I put it in but the internal temp was still 140ish. The meat was warm & moist.

Here's a photo of the pulled pork (haven't sauced it yet):

My helper likes his Daddy's Q:

Thanks for the kind comments. Y'all have a good weekend.
"Houston is a wretched little town composed of about twenty shops, and a hundred huts, dispersed here and there, among trunks of felled trees. It is infested with methodists and ants." -Emmanuel Domenech, Catholic Missionary, 1848

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-27-2010, 10:51 PM   #18
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm a big fan of HH smokes...we're doin' 3 packers and 4 butts this Tuesday for my co-workers. I smoke in the 325-350 range...foil (butts and briskies) @ 160 ish and cooler around 190 for briskies...200 for pullin' pork. I'm thinkin' I need to leave the pork in the smoker till it hits 210 ish for a better pull... Good job brother smoker!
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-27-2010, 11:02 PM   #19
High Q
Take a breath!

JD - I read quite a few of your posts and Swamprb's too before putting on this cook. I really appreciated having that information at hand when I sat down to give this a try.

I pulled my pork off the smoker in the 190s and when I checked with a second probe it was 207. I got a real nice pull off it and beautiful color. Good luck with the cook for your co-workers.

Unread 03-28-2010, 09:55 PM   #20
big blue bbq
Take a breath!

Great post High Q! I did not know you could do that with the WSM. I must try that in the next few weeks. I suppose it is the no water in the pan that helps get the temp up.

Food looked great.

WSM 22.5"
WSM 18"
Traeger 075
Weber one touch gold (blue of course!)
Jack's old south cooker:-P
big blue bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-28-2010, 11:51 PM   #21
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Good lookin' eats right there! I've gotta try that HH on the WSM again, maybe mine can turn out like yours if I'm lucky.

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2010, 08:41 AM   #22
Phubar
somebody shut me the fark up.

Looks like you've nailed it!

All fueled by Ecobrasa Coco Briquettes

*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*Lowland Smokers Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2010, 09:10 AM   #23
BlkJeep
is One Chatty Farker

Awesome cook bro! And i love the shot of the your happy helper!!!

Unread 03-29-2010, 05:59 PM   #24
Brian in So Cal
Babbling Farker

I have trouble getting my WSM up to 325-350. Do you guys put anything in the water pan?

Thanks

Blast Off BBQ, Brian K

As a matter of fact I am a rocket scientist!

Just call me Dad.
Brian in So Cal is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-29-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
High Q
Take a breath!

Default Re: High Heat Brisket Flat & Boston Butt on my WSM

I was burning lump charcoal and the water pan was empty. I foiled the pan for easy cleanup but that was all. I thought I would have to prop the door open or leave the lid ajar to get up above 300 but mine went to 315-325 on the lid gauge and hung there for almost six hours straight. It started falling in the last hour but never went below 295.