The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness

Notices

Catering, Food Handling and Awareness *OnTopic* Forum to educate us on safe food handling. Not specifically for Catering or competition but overall health and keeping our families safe too.

Old 03-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #1
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Default What is your policy on...

number of meals ordered vs actual number of guests attending a catered event if the customer asks if they can be charged for only 15 meals when they had ordered meals for 25?
I've been asked this before and have told customers that we have to have a number to go by in order to bring enough food for their event. Just trying to figure out wording to include this in my proposals and also as a disclaimer on our final billing statment to the customer. Anyone else deal with this issue?

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
PorkQPine
Full Fledged Farker

Your contract should have drop dead dates for determining the number of guests. Require a final number 72 hours prior to event and after that they live with the number. I would require a estimated number 30 days prior for a quote, and then one week prior to event a firmer number, and then 72 hours before the event a final number that will be billed. Any extra guests at day of event will be charged quoted pp charge plus 10%. I would also look out for the guys who want a quote for 500 and then 72 hours prior confirm that only 25 will be guests hoping they get the 500 price for 25. You might want to address that issue in the contract also.
PorkQPine is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2010, 11:13 PM   #3
Bossmanbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks, I hasn't been a huge problem, we've just had a couple of gigs where they had 50 people planned and ordered and only 40 or45 showed up wanting to know if they could get a refund for the 5 meals that weren't used even though they received the left overs. Just wanted to know what everyone else does in these situations. I've just told them I'm sorry but they ordered the meals and I have to plan my service accordingly. So far no issues but with the people being watchful with money I think we hear this more often.

" You can put all of the sauce on it you want, but you still have to master the art of cooking barbecue"
- Mike Mills-
Bossmanbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2010, 11:01 AM   #4
Konrad_Haskins
Knows what a fatty is.

I get the final payment before the event. They get the left overs. I've never extend credit. Even getting paid at the event can be a problem. Never had a problem with those terms from 2003 through today.
Konrad_Haskins is offline   Reply With Quote