The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-25-2010, 07:07 PM   #1
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default World steak championship cookoff on Food network

Anyone watch this? I'm not saying they're doing it wrong but these guys are cooking their steaks at lower temps it seems. One team complained because their pit was running hot at 450. Most of the therms you see on the pits are around 300-350. They also are cooking on huge pits where the coals are pretty far below the meat. The steaks they turned in just didn't seem to have much caramelization on them or grill marks if any color at all. Some even put them in covered foil pans and let them steam in the pit for a while. I'm just wondering is this how steak competitions are? I usually do them pretty hot and fast for a nice crust. Just curious good steak houses really sear the steaks and I know that caramalization creates great flavors. Watching this made me wonder how the steak comps are done.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2010, 07:29 PM   #2
WC BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

That has me wondering too... I like to throw a nice thick ribeye in the smoker at 180F for about 1.5 hours then on a 500F grill for 4 minutes a side. All it needs is some salt and peppa and a cold beer.
WC BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2010, 08:05 PM   #3
HHpepper
Full Fledged Farker

I like my steaks cooked hot and fast over a mesquite fire. Salt and peppa to taste. Steak sauce is an insult to a good steak.

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
jagardn
Full Fledged Farker

I use the Finney Method for all my steaks. Put em on my Primo @250 til the steak reads about 118. Wrap it in foil, open the vents, get the grill to 500+ then a quick sear. After my first time doing them with a Reverse Sear, I've never turned back.

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

I've never done a steak comp but my guess for the low temp is to expose the meat to more smoke. Those steaks sure look good though!

Unread 03-25-2010, 09:27 PM   #6
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagardn View Post
I use the Finney Method for all my steaks. Put em on my Primo @250 til the steak reads about 118. Wrap it in foil, open the vents, get the grill to 500+ then a quick sear. After my first time doing them with a Reverse Sear, I've never turned back.
That's more or less how I do mine on a kettle grill. I add a wood chunk or two and lightly smoke the meat on the cool side, then finish with a hot sear. I also do it the same way fro tri-tip. Nothing better!
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2010, 10:25 PM   #7
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

I usually sear first then finish indirect for really thick steaks and use wood chunks for smoke. I always cook with wood chunks now. Most of these guys weren't doing a reverse sear most were just a regular steak without much caramelization cooked over a medium low temp. I know there's lots of ways to do this I just thought it was odd they didn't really sear their steaks considering one of the judges said that was part of the judging criteria. Guess I'm going to have to go show them how its done

Creator of:

Unread 03-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Ye Olde Party Palace
On the road to being a farker

I've always felt that if you have to put any sauce on the steak, then you are not happy with the way the steak tastes.

Youth and enthusiasm are easily overcome by old age and treachery.
Ye Olde Party Palace is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2010, 10:49 PM   #9
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

You need to remember the teams are also feeding the public, assuming that was Magnolia Arkansas. Approximately 5000 steaks. Blossomfestival.org I think.
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:51 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

I recall drbbq cooked this contest a few years back...

Jorge didn't attend with Ray at a steak comp ?

my guess is this steak comp is similar in ways to comp BBQ in that appearance is a factor.. so a super charred exterior probably won't go too far.

I also recall reading once that the rules require the steaks to be cooked to "medium" doneness.

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-25-2010, 10:58 PM   #11
Jorge

I was there with him the last two years. It's a fun event. Entry is $100, they provide the meat, charcoal, and ice.
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #12
bigabyte

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

I never heard it called the Finney method, but I do something similar. Heat it up slow offset on the kettle at around 250-275, and finish over the coals at over 500 for a minute each side. I don't use foil. Awesome stuff.
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2010, 06:42 AM   #13
drbbq
is One Chatty Farker

Some of those guys cook hundreds of steaks for the public but only one steak gets turned in for judging, so you never know what they really did or if those teams were any good. I know one team that brings a big offset to cook most of their steaks and a Big Green Egg to cook the serious ones. The big offset would probably be the thing the TV guys would focus on.
You have to cook at least 30 steaks and we did that on a couple Eggs. I used a cast iron grate to make kickass grill marks and we finished pretty high the first year and middle of the pack the second year. It's a lot of fun.
drbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-26-2010, 07:57 AM   #14
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbbq View Post
Some of those guys cook hundreds of steaks for the public but only one steak gets turned in for judging, so you never know what they really did or if those teams were any good. I know one team that brings a big offset to cook most of their steaks and a Big Green Egg to cook the serious ones. The big offset would probably be the thing the TV guys would focus on.
You have to cook at least 30 steaks and we did that on a couple Eggs. I used a cast iron grate to make kickass grill marks and we finished pretty high the first year and middle of the pack the second year. It's a lot of fun.
You know that really makes sense now. I guess most of the footage is what they are doing for the public as opposed to the actual steak that gets turned in. There have been several local steak cook offs and I've really thought about trying it so all this info really helps me get a better idea of how things work. It looks like alot of fun which is why I love grilling and bbq'ing to begin with. I really need to get the cast iron grate for my kettle.

Creator of:

Unread 03-26-2010, 08:26 AM   #15
wayner123
Got Wood.

I always cook my steaks between 300-350. It takes a little longer but to me it really helps get an even cooking of the meat.
wayner123 is offline   Reply With Quote