The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-25-2010, 04:09 PM   #1
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Question Brisket turning question

This is a noob question, so try and be gentle LoL

When trimming your brisket for turn-in do most of you “leave the fat cap on” the flat and just slice across the grain? I’m new to comp and turn in boxes, but I always figured the fat cap got trimmed off prior to slicing. That’s how I’ve been trimming my briskets for a while and just thought it was a given..

I’ve recently seen brisket turn-ins and the slices still had the fat on the bottom. I thought that was both odd and unappealing! Am I way of base? Is this normal?

2 Bubba Keg Convection Grills
4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Last edited by Boat-n-BBQ; 03-25-2010 at 04:40 PM..
Boat-n-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #2
kurtsara
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boat-n-BBQ View Post
This is a noob question, so try and be gentle LoL

When trimming your brisket for turning do most of you “leave the fat cap on” the flat and just slice across the grain? I’m new to comp and turn in boxes, but I always figured the fat cap got trimmed off prior to slicing. That’s how I’ve been trimming my briskets for a while and just thought it was a given..

I’ve recently seen brisket turn-ins and the slices still had the fat on the bottom. I thought that was both odd and unappealing! Am I way of base? Is this normal?
"When trimming your brisket for turning" what is turning?

Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

I trim off the fat before turn-in. Others may do something else but I've always trimmed the fat off before slicing.
Smitty250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 04:31 PM   #4
gtsum
is One Chatty Farker

I am interested in the responses on this one as well...I usually just slice mine and leave em on there, but lately I have been trimming them down quite a bit more (ala myron's method)
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I'm a new team, so I don't really know crap and I admit it I will prob be trimming off the fat cap. That's how I learned and it seem right to me.

4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Old 03-25-2010, 04:42 PM   #6
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtsara View Post
"When trimming your brisket for turning" what is turning?
Sorry turn-in. Fixed it

4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Old 03-25-2010, 05:07 PM   #7
Southern Home Boy
is One Chatty Farker

I trim it prior to cooking. Fat doesn't absorb smoke, only the meat. Likewise with the rub. The flavors of the rub will just sit on top of the fat, but with a good slather and little to no surface fat the rub will actually pull down into the muscle fibers. In a good cooker, you don't really lose anything by pretrimming the fat - imo - and you get a better end result.
Pro Q Frontier, UDS (Little Red), "Turtle Drum" UDS, CG Gasser KCBS CBJ#61160
Southern Home Boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2010, 06:15 PM   #8
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

We trim the fat away before slicing. The fat has typically rendered down to where you can wipe it away with the side of your thumb, but we also gently scrape away remaining fat with the back edge of the knife.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
Boat-n-BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
I trim it prior to cooking. Fat doesn't absorb smoke, only the meat. Likewise with the rub. The flavors of the rub will just sit on top of the fat, but with a good slather and little to no surface fat the rub will actually pull down into the muscle fibers. In a good cooker, you don't really lose anything by pretrimming the fat - imo - and you get a better end result.
Thank for the input, I’ve never tried that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntFinger_Jason View Post
We trim the fat away before slicing. The fat has typically rendered down to where you can wipe it away with the side of your thumb, but we also gently scrape away remaining fat with the back edge of the knife.
Ditto, this is just what I do. Thanks Jason, just wanted to know if I was way off base.

4 Big Steel Kegs
w/BBQGuru DigiQ's
KCBS/CBJ

Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
BurntFinger_Jason
Full Fledged Farker

As a contrast to Southern Home Boy, I actually leave the entire fat cap intact. I cook briskets with the fat side down, so the only trimming I do is to remove all the silver skin and small fatty piece from the top side. It will make for a better final appearance if your rub can adhere directly to the meat.

Old 03-26-2010, 12:19 PM   #11
Sawdustguy
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Home Boy View Post
Most cooks leave the fat cap on and put it in the smoker fat side down to protect the brisket from any direct heat.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 12:47 PM   #12
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I guess I'm one of the strange ones (yea, like that's news ) but I not only split the point from the flat, I also trim both caps down to about 1/4 inch prior to cooking.

As for slicing, I slice across the grain and put the slices in my box with what ever fat that is remaining (usually not much more than 1/8 inch) down. I just figure that since fat transfers flavor in the mouth this helps.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #13
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I do not take the fat off at all prior to cooking. We do however take it all off prior to turn ins.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2010, 01:01 PM   #14
Big Ugly's BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacked UP BBQ View Post
I do not take the fat off at all prior to cooking. We do however take it all off prior to turn ins.
I do the same, and trim some point fat also, just a little.

Old 03-26-2010, 01:27 PM   #15
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divemaster View Post
I guess I'm one of the strange ones (yea, like that's news ) but I not only split the point from the flat, I also trim both caps down to about 1/4 inch prior to cooking.

As for slicing, I slice across the grain and put the slices in my box with what ever fat that is remaining (usually not much more than 1/8 inch) down. I just figure that since fat transfers flavor in the mouth this helps.

Jeff, are you saying to separate the point and flat prior to cooking?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote