The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-24-2010, 01:56 AM   #1
motoeric
Babbling Farker

Default BBQ as Sport

Hi,

I'm using the term 'sport' to illustrate a point, not because I believe that competition BBQ is a sport. That's another debate (and one that I couldn't care less about).

My question is this, do any competitors treat BBQ as if it is a sport or other high-end competition outside of the monetary investment and the research/practice?

High end Chess/Scrabble players will make sure that they get enough sleep, maintain a decent blood sugar level, listen to music that they believe impacts cognition and eat foods that help keep them mentally sharp.

Athletes are educated on kinesthetics, wear activity appropriate attire, hydrate properly, avoid alcohol while competing, have proper rest, etc.

Is there use to be found in similar tactics for competition BBQ? Is there a need to be as mentally sharp as possible? To be in as much physical control as possible? Can we learn lessons from other competitive venues?

Eric

A BBQ Brethren Publication
2 Thessalonians 2:15
Exodus 12:9
motoeric is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 02:23 AM   #2
grillfella
is one Smokin' Farker

Eric, after watching the pitmasters series I noticed Myron mixon take this approach at one point he stated that he does not drink during comps and takes it very serious. The guy from slap yo daddy needed sleep at one point and was kept awake by a nearby party. He ended up waking up late and it affected his "Q". All in all if you are doing something you love be it for comp or just cooking for your family you should be on your game. As for me it's hard to "Q" without a few beers
grillfella is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 02:58 AM   #3
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

I think you saw a good example of how serious the top teams are about what they do at North Little Rock. There was very little boozing and carousing going on - especially when you consider there were over 200 teams on the lot.

Many cooks mentioned how much different the vibe was there vs the KC Royal. With so much money on the line, the majority of teams brought their A Game, and that meant doing every thing they could to maximize their chances.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-24-2010, 06:00 AM   #4
daedalus
Full Fledged Farker

I have always thought that the term competitive bbq is a bit of an oxymoron. Historically, BBQ is a very communal event, and typically centered around celebration, family, and comradery. It strikes me as odd that a serious competitive "sport" has sprung up around it. Still though, I think part of the cool thing about these competitions is the cross section of people who get involved. Everyon seems to have their own agenda. Some teams go there seriously intending to win, some use it as an excuse to party, most are probably somewhere in between.

As to your original point, I think it is important to remember that not everybody gets to be a professional athlete, chess player, etc. You have to be very good to even get a chance to play at that level. In BBQ, with the exception of a very few invitation only events, pretty much anyone who wants to pony up the dough can compete.

Dark Horse BBQ Competition Team
KCBS Master CBJ
Certified Moink Baller

Good One "Open Range" Smoker, WMS (Cirqa 1983), Rescued NB offset, Modified ECB, No-name Charcoal Grill, Perfect Flame Gasser, Weber 22.5" One Touch Silver
daedalus is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2010, 07:50 AM   #5
Buster Dog BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Well, if you are tired, grogy, or hung over you will probably make a mistake. I have never understood why a team wants to spend the money required for a contest to go out and get ripped and in turn do crappy. Seems like they could go to the bar cheaper.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-24-2010, 08:26 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Is there use to be found in similar tactics for competition BBQ? Is there a need to be as mentally sharp as possible?

I think the answer is a resounding YES. Mind you, in the average comp you'll see most
folks bring their B game (meaning, enjoying it a little more and not quite so worried).
As CivalWarBBQ said earlier, when the stakes go up, so does the game.

Funny, KCBS for me is different than MBN. MBN we cook SIGNIFICANTLY more meat,
and stay stone cold sober all night. However, I learned playing competitive tennis
years ago, my A game is better when I'm a little relaxed and ready to take no
prisoners (played singles, USTA, 8am popping the top on a beer). So, for on-site in
MBN, I have a beer or two before we get started; it relaxes me and I do a better
presentation.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 08:42 AM   #7
Divemaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

I have to agree with Brother Lake Dog…

While we go to a comp to have fun, we really work that fun around our timing. I find it interesting that we can usually find a number of fellow competitors in our area and yes, many are drinking. Us, we may have a beer or two but we are normally done with it well before midnight.

We also try to make sure that each of us gets enough sleep during the night and while dinner is important, we’ve found that breakfast is critical for us to be on our game.

We spend way too much money not to take our ‘A’ game to each comp. We have recognized this when it was more of a ‘B’ or even ‘C’ game and how poorly we did.
Race Fast, Cook Slow, and Enjoy Life!
If it don't come off a smoker, it's just a side dish!

Lang 60 Patio (The Mistress), Black Stainless Lang 36 (Little Princess), Large BGE (Ramona), Big Green UDS (Cottage Cooker), Brinkman SnP Pro (Little Bubba-Retired), 8 Burner Gasser, 3 - 22.5" & 1 - 18" (circa 1975) Weber Grills, & a Weber Smoky Joe.
Divemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 09:56 AM   #8
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

I think that if you are operating on 2 hours of sleep and nursing a hangover throughout a busy competition day, then there is no way you can be as effective.
I think for the most part the teams I've been around have **almost** found that fine line between too much fun and acting too serious.
As competitive as it can be around turn in times, it really is still a bunch of good old boys cooking in the backyard. The backyard is just huge.

As far as looking like athletes..............

Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 10:10 AM   #9
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubMeTender View Post
I think that if you are operating on 2 hours of sleep and nursing a hangover throughout a busy competition day, then there is no way you can be as effective.
I think for the most part the teams I've been around have **almost** found that fine line between too much fun and acting too serious.
As competitive as it can be around turn in times, it really is still a bunch of good old boys cooking in the backyard. The backyard is just huge.

As far as looking like athletes..............

Think: SUMO

Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:07 AM   #10
Jacked UP BBQ
Babbling Farker

I go with the flow, I can drink and still be on my A game, we have a system that allows us to party and still get it done. Do we sometimes regret it yes, has lack of sleep sometimes screwed us, yes! I choose not to drink on comp nights anymore because I don't like to feel like chit the next day.

Ocean County Pig Assassins competition team retired and is now known as Jacked UP BBQ

Fec 750
Fec 100
Large Spicewine
Jacked UP BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-24-2010, 11:33 AM   #11
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

sorry, answered the wrong question to this thread so I deleted my orignal answer.

I take BBQ competitions very seriously !.. I think most of you do too. If I want to cook with a group of freinds, and just have a good time, and not worry about if I win or lose, (or climbing the ladder to do so).. I'll save $700 and do this at home.
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 01:14 PM   #12
Sawdustguy

In the sense of the preparation, attention to detail, execution and determination a BBQ contest is very similar to an athletic event. Now with that said if we make BBQ Contests "Full Contact", you got something.

Stupidity for Dummies

…because sometimes, you just can’t dumb it down enough…
Sawdustguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM   #13
Lake Dogs

BBQ sauce wraslin' with Lee Anne Whippen.... I like it!!!!

Old 03-24-2010, 01:40 PM   #14
RubMeTender
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Dogs View Post
BBQ sauce wraslin' with Lee Anne Whippen.... I like it!!!!
I'm thinking she could beat 75% of the guys on this forum alone.

Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Great Outdoors Smokey Mountain
RubMeTender is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Lake Dogs

I'd pay money to lose at Sauce Wraslin' with Lee Anne... It would be worth every dime.

HOWEVER, someone darn shure better be taking pictures. I'm not going the route of "No
Pics, Didnt Happen"!