The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:38 PM   #1
comfrank
On the road to being a farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Cleaning grill grates in oven?

I'm pretty good about cleaning the grates of my grills and smokers after use, but over time there is a build up on the bottom of the grates, in between the rungs, and in the corners where it's hard to get the wire brush into. So, my grates are due for a thorough cleaning. Anyone see anything wrong with putting them in the oven and using the self-cleaning cycle?

I've got two different kinds--steel (?) grates from my OK Joe Bandera-style smoker, and cast iron grates from my BBQ Galore Bar-B-Chef. In fact I think Alton Brown suggested using the oven for these specific cast iron grates.

Downsides?

Thanks,
--frank in Wilson, NY

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
RichardF
is One Chatty Farker

one of the joys of having a gas grill is that i use it to clean all the grates from my smoker and other griills. just fire it up on hi, close the lid and enjoy the smell. after a little while i open her up, and hit the grates with a wire brush. you may need to reseason the cast iron grates if you get them too hot. the one problem with this method is it smells so good the neighbors all show up thinking i'm cooking something. you can do this in your oven (provided it gets hot enough), but you ae gonna get a lot of smoke if there's any kind of build-up.

Live every week like it's shark week
RichardF is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
grillzilla10
Full Fledged Farker

I use a gasoline powered power washer. It cleans the grates very well.
grillzilla10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:49 PM   #4
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
one of the joys of having a gas grill is that i use it to clean all the grates from my smoker and other griills.
Yeah, that's the only thing I use my gas grill for anymore. Dunno about using an oven though, it sure kicks off a lot of smoke if I have a lot of build-up, seems to me it would smoke out your kitchen.
I was thinking about your exact question when I was contemplating getting rid of the gasser to make room on my deck. I'm holding on to it for now just so I can clean my grates. I'll be curious to hear how others clean their grates without gassers.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 02:50 PM   #5
trouserchili
Knows what a fatty is.

I just throw a bunch of hickory in the pit and throw the grates on top. Fire cleanses all and hickory burns hot.

Unread 03-19-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
Ribbin' Randy
Full Fledged Farker

I did that with may grates and now the are proned to rusting...I wouldn,t do it.

Unread 03-19-2010, 03:34 PM   #7
suprfast
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfrank View Post
I'm pretty good about cleaning the grates of my grills and smokers after use, but over time there is a build up on the bottom of the grates, in between the rungs, and in the corners where it's hard to get the wire brush into. So, my grates are due for a thorough cleaning. Anyone see anything wrong with putting them in the oven and using the self-cleaning cycle?

I've got two different kinds--steel (?) grates from my OK Joe Bandera-style smoker, and cast iron grates from my BBQ Galore Bar-B-Chef. In fact I think Alton Brown suggested using the oven for these specific cast iron grates.

Downsides?

Thanks,
--frank in Wilson, NY
I remember seeing that. Its worth a shot. My cast iron grates have never seen the oven but they are rusting. Im thinking about getting dimensions and seeing if there are replacement grates in SS at lowes/hd
kris
suprfast is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
Neil
Quintessential Chatty Farker

hit them with the weedburner or place them ontop of the chimney starter when lighting coals.

Mange Bene Viva Bene!

NB Bandera-Firebox & Baffle Mod, WSM, Weber: Performer(Col. Steve Austin Mod), WSM, Three 22 1/2" Kettles, 2 Brinkman Dual Zone Proffessional Grills, Smoky Joe, Uniflame Tabletop Gasser, Luhr-Jensen Big Chief, Turkey Fryer, Rocky Mountain Camp Stove & 3 UDS's.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #9
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I also throw them on my gasser and fired it up, wire brush and some oil. Of course I really don't clean them that often, after a smoke i wire bursh them down and let it go at that.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
2 - Super FAST, Super ACCURATE Green Thermapen1 splashproof)

"A good friend will come and bail you out of jail, your best friend will be sitting right beside you on the bench saying "What a Ride!" WooHoo
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 06:11 PM   #10
PCDoctor_1979
Full Fledged Farker

I don't recommend the oven method. Did it once and smoked up the whole house. Once you start the self cleaning cycle, you can't stop it. I've gotten into the habit of breaking down the WSM and putting the grates on top of the remaining coals once cooking is done. Follow that up with a quick hit with the wire brush and we're ready for the next cook.
Brian Sweeney - CBJ #3691 - '77 Step Van Mobile Kitchen, Horizon Marshall, WSM with Pro Q Stacker, Weber Kettle & Smokey Joe GOLD.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke's Third Law
PCDoctor_1979 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
BRBBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Mine wont fit
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 09:01 PM   #12
Cigarbque
Full Fledged Farker

OK so this is weird. I was at the doctor's yesterday reading one of the home owner type magazines and this little article attracts my eye. It was a retraction from the magazine that had offered the advice of cleaning your BBQ grates in the self cleaning oven. Apparently many self cleaning ovens can't be opened and stopped once the process begins. The house would fill with smoke and it was a mess. The magazine was apologizing for the advice.