ブタ
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 04-23-2004, 12:39 PM   #1
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default What's smoking this weekend?

What are you Brethren gonna smoke this weekend?

I'll not be Qing till the snot is gone, it is still comming down and I need to go out and plow the drive way and "road" up to the main hard top street before it get much deeper.

So I need to see pics of the fine Q you brothers turn out this weekend. :D

Or at least read about it.

And I have a question, have any of you taken a frozen Brisket and seared it while it is still frozen and then put it in the Smoke chamber?

Reason for the question is, I went to an old meat processing plant out in Elizebeth (even more rual that where I live) and bought a big farking frozen porterhouse steak. The older lady there told me that I would have the best results if I seared the steak while frozen inorder to "lock in the moisture" and then grill as normal. I did and it was real good. So I wonder if that would also work on a Brisket. Sear and then Smoke. So what do you think?

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2004, 12:45 PM   #2
willkat98
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

I often though about smoking from near frozen or very cold, after someone here posted about meat only absorbing smoke at lower temps.

With that in mind (if true) would searing only harden the outside to prevent smoke absorbtion?

But it sounds good if all you were after was sealing in the juices, as your taste test proved.

I don't know. Good question Al.

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Solidkick

Only have today off, then work 6 straight, so I'm resting and won't be cooking. It's not that I didn't give it a thought, though!! I'll just thaw out some pulled pork left over from Easter, or make a trip to Bandana's latter. Got to have my Q!!

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2004, 12:59 PM   #4
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

Thank You Brother Bill for the So Flav. I will be grilling only this weekend and I am having so flav chicken boobs and shrimp.
Quote:
With that in mind (if true) would searing only harden the outside to prevent smoke absorbtion?

But it sounds good if all you were after was sealing in the juices, as your taste test proved.
To me this is the smokers paradox. Everything that keeps juices in keeps smoke out, or so it would seem. The OL likes her steaks med and I like mine a bit rarer so I always put mine in the freezer after seasoning and hers in the frige so they cook in the same amt of time. Always assumed mine was juicier just due to being less done, maybe there is more to it than that.
Big Al I'd be delighted for you to try it and tell us how it comes out!
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2004, 01:13 PM   #5
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98
I often though about smoking from near frozen or very cold, after someone here posted about meat only absorbing smoke at lower temps.

I don't know. Good question Al.
I asked the 'matic to pick up a Brisket a while back and she came home with a 4-5 lb point, so I put it in the freezer and went out got a whole brisket. So I have the point and I'm gonna give it try, will post results.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-23-2004, 02:43 PM   #6
ringo
Got Wood.

AL

Smokin a nine pound brisket as we speak. It's been soakin in brine and apple juice for two days and is about half cooked or so now. It looks great. True story on the meat only accepting smoke until about 140 degrees. Learned it from a man who has won many awards on his smoked meat he sells at his butcher shop.

Ringo

Unread 04-25-2004, 09:56 AM   #7
2Fat
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Re: What's smoking this weekend?

[quote="BigAl"]What are you Brethren gonna smoke this weekend?

quote]

Well there is a flat of chicken thighs cooking away along with one tray of butt chunks, a tray of turkey legs(brined overnite) and a loaf of country style venison sausage

will put on a couple racks of loinbacks on the bws later
KCBS #9269 and #4605
Blazen Gridiron
BWS Competitor--sold
BWS Pro Jr--sold
BWS party(all SS)
BDS--on loan
BGE
2Fat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2004, 10:16 AM   #8
parrothead

Quote:
butt chunks
no comment

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #9
hornbri
On the road to being a farker

I got a 5lb flat and a couple pork loins going right now. Its a wondeful day in northern CA.

Unread 04-25-2004, 06:52 PM   #10
willkat98

Location: Chicago Western Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.

I pan fried some boobs then fineshed them in the oven.

very good, but not Q

VERY windy here. too much to even grill.

Have a good one brothers.

"Bitch..." - Jessie Pinkman

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven
willkat98 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2004, 09:22 PM   #11
mook
Full Fledged Farker

I hate working weekends. I am getting very jealous of the rest of you though. I will be doin a pork loin and a turkey breast on thursday. maybe that should be the start of next weekends whats cooking.

Hope you all enjoy the Q.

Unread 04-26-2004, 12:42 PM   #12
Cuelio
is one Smokin' Farker

Smoked some country style ribs. Mmmm good. Great smoke ring, meat falls off and pulls like butt. Makes sense since I think I read somewhere that country style ribs were slices of shoulder, not actual ribs. Is that true?
Outers electric cold smoker
Lump in the soles of my shoes

My avatar is M-57 the "Smoke Ring nebula", in memory of "e".
Cuelio is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2004, 01:04 PM   #13
Arlin_MacRae

Downloads: 1

WARNING:
Sob Story Ahead

Sort of....

I bought a nice nine-pound brisket Saturday (at 88 cents a pound-woot!) and 150 lbs of smokin' wood at Albertson's, cuz I was out. I fired up some of the mesquite to cook burgers that night (OK, so I'm nuts) and the stuff just sat there and sizzled instead of burned. Wet, wet, wet... Instead of driving across town to a sporting goods store to get wood that has been sitting inside I went to the local place where it sits out. Duuuuh. I dried it in the sun all day yesterday, but now my brisket is not to be schmoked until NEXT weekend. <cry>

I did do some lovely rib eyes on the grill side last night, though (with mushrooms). Does that count?

NB El Dorado Offset, Primo Oval Junior, Traeger Model 075 Pellet Pooper, Big Chief, Kingfisher Kooker 14" gas/wood combo, PBC Brethren Edition
Home Brewer, Murderer of Squirrels, Armadillo Inspector
Flaming Pig Head Mod
Black Thermapen, red backlit Thermapen
Certified KCBS BBQ Judge
Missin' KC...
Arlin_MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #14
racer_81
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlin_MacRae
WARNING:
Sob Story Ahead

Sort of....

I bought a nice nine-pound brisket Saturday (at 88 cents a pound-woot!) and 150 lbs of smokin' wood at Albertson's, cuz I was out. I fired up some of the mesquite to cook burgers that night (OK, so I'm nuts) and the stuff just sat there and sizzled instead of burned. Wet, wet, wet... Instead of driving across town to a sporting goods store to get wood that has been sitting inside I went to the local place where it sits out. Duuuuh. I dried it in the sun all day yesterday, but now my brisket is not to be schmoked until NEXT weekend. <cry>

I did do some lovely rib eyes on the grill side last night, though (with mushrooms). Does that count?
Penalty Beer Mod