The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 03-16-2010, 06:20 PM   #1
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Grilling with wood chunks plus Moose's #2 chicken rub - Pron

One of the things I struggled with for a while was figuring out a way to grill with all those wood chunks I have lying around for the WSM. It finally dawned on me one day to stick some chunks in the chimney along with charcoal to see if I could accelerate the process to turn the chunks into embers.

Thought I'd share my technique, and I'd love to hear from others on how they grill with wood chunks (as opposed to chips).

Also thought this would be a good time to try out Moose's Chicken Rub #2, which I received as part of our Kiawe wood trade.

First step: Fill a chimney about 1/4 way with charcoal.

Now stuff some wood chunks on top of the first layer of charcoal. Using Kiawe again today.

Top it off with charcoal and fire it up.

It's gonna smoke to high heaven once the wood chunks start burning.

After about 20 minutes, when the smoke from the chunks calms down, pour everything into the grill. I know it's not near ready yet, but I like to give the grates about 20 minutes of heat so I can easily clean the gunk off from the last cook. I also throw some smaller chunks of wood on top of the coals, these will burn off in time for the meat.

After about another 20-25 minutes, you have a nice bed of charcoal and hard wood embers going. I always try to have a "safe area" with little or no charcoal.

Five chicken leg quarters (guess there's a chicken somewhere hopping around on one leg). Brushed with EVOO and sprinkled with Moose's Chicken Rub #2. Going to sauce with the last of my Blue Hog (good thing I have another gallon!). Sauce is thinned with enough Guiness till I get the consistency I like.

Fire is going to be hotter with the hardwood, so you gotta keep things turning, especially if there is sugar in the rub.I like to keep the cover on as much as possible to maximize the smoke exposure.

Hard to believe all this chicken cost me a $2.49. Gotta love it when meat is on sale. Moose's Chicken Rub #2 is delicious! Wifey kept insisting I had done something to the sauce, but I had to keep reminding her that the rub was different. I highly recommend working out a trade with him for your own, it goes perfectly with Blues Hog!

That's it, be sure to chime in with your technique for grilling with chunks.

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Unread 03-16-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well, I'd hit that chicken on moments notice.

https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...nufacturer=314

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous

"Walk with Us"
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #3
MilitantSquatter

Nice update Mark...

everything looks great... nice technique on incorporating the chunks.

Unread 03-16-2010, 09:24 PM   #4
jeffjenkins1
Babbling Farker

Looks good to me.

Jeff
18" Weber OTS
Primo Oval XL
NB American Gourmet offset smoker
UDS
Big Chief Smoker
Turkey Fryer
jeffjenkins1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-16-2010, 10:30 PM   #5
Grillman
is One Chatty Farker

If that doesn't put you in a Fowl mood; I don't know what will.
Grillman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2010, 12:53 PM   #6
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Mark,

So glad you liked it. Try the rub next time with no sauce and let us know what you think. Grillman & Gore - you guys are next up!

BTW, great pictorial!
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2010, 06:35 PM   #7
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Mark,
So glad you liked it. Try the rub next time with no sauce and let us know what you think.
I certainly will, I have plenty of plans for that rub.

And I was hoping to hear from others on how exactly they grill using wood chunks. No other techniques or ideas?

For links to all my BBQ Brethren recipe posts, click http://markandteri.com/recipes.htm

Unread 03-17-2010, 06:43 PM   #8
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Downloads: 1
Uploads: 1

That looks superb!
Yes, I own a whole bunch of BBQ crap also.
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Get your MOINK Certification today!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club member
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #9
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Guinness is good for you.
That looks like a great dinner.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:18 PM   #10
Shiz-Nit
is One Chatty Farker

Those are SWeeeeet lookin'

Unread 03-17-2010, 07:29 PM   #11
Moose
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saiko View Post
And I was hoping to hear from others on how exactly they grill using wood chunks. No other techniques or ideas?

Sorry, I didn't have time to get into that in greater detail until now. I use wood chunks all the time when I grill. Sort of a cross between smoking and grilling or also known as a reverse sear. I set up unlit coals and some chunks on one end of the kettle behind firebricks, and place 10 or so lit coals on the unlit ones. Then, I place my meat on the cool side of the grill and let it smoke for a while, depending on size of meat, anywhere from 30- Sorry, I didn't have time to get into that in greater detail until now. I use wood chunks all the time when I grill. Sort of a cross between smoking and grilling or also known as a reverse sear. I set up unlit coals and some chunks on one end of the kettle behind firebricks, and place 10 or so lit coals on the unlit ones. Then, I place my meat on the cool side of the grill and let it smoke for a while, depending on size of meat, anywhere from 30-60 minutes. I finish the meat on the hot side with a good sear. I usually do this with steaks, chicken, tri-tip and pork tenderloin or bone on pork loins. Works great, esp with kettle cookers!
Frankenweber Pizza Kettle/Big Red UDS/Pit Barrel Cooker/Vision Kamado/Purebred American Rat Terrier Whisperer
www.mooseonfire.com
Food*BBQ*Delicious

Moose is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 03:38 PM   #12
chefdad
Knows what a fatty is.

You may have mentioned this before. Where did you get the Moose's savory chicken rub? Is this a recipe you have or is there a link? My wife and kiddos love chicken and I am trying to find different recipes with rubs to try. Thanks!

Seth
chefdad is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 04:33 PM   #13
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Awesome looking chicken! I will try this technique for sure with some pecan chunks soon.

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #14
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow, this is an old post that was resurrected. Since there are a couple of questions, I will go ahead and answer them:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdad View Post
You may have mentioned this before. Where did you get the Moose's savory chicken rub? Is this a recipe you have or is there a link? My wife and kiddos love chicken and I am trying to find different recipes with rubs to try. Thanks!
Seth
That rub was sent to me by Moose in a trade, so I have no idea what's in it! Hopefully Moose can chime in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Al Gold View Post
Awesome looking chicken! I will try this technique for sure with some pecan chunks soon.
I've kind of changed my techniques for using chunks. Now instead of adding them to the chimney, I add them to the top of the charcoal bed in the grill. After lighting the chimney, I only wait about 15 minutes and then spread the coals out. Only about 1/2 of them are greyed over at this piont, but I need to give the chunks plenty of time to burn.
I then throw about 5-10 chunks on top of the charcoal and let everything burn for about 30 more minutes. This burns off any residue from the grates also.

Unread 08-10-2011, 05:31 PM   #15
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts

Niiiice! I love that #2 on chicken. Don't do it enough!
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote