Recent Kettle Modification

landarc

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
So, based on Woodreaux's comments on a now forgotten to me thread, I made some modifications to my kettle to increase cooking times, improve temperature stability and control, evenly distribute heat and add versatility to my already super versatile kettle. Here they are about 50% done.
P3110092.jpg

The smaller Smokey Joe charcoal grate sitting on One-touch vanes, this will change soon. It gives me more distance from the grate and will eventually have a firebasket to allow better Minion method cooking.

P3110094.jpg

A cast iron skillet provides thermal mass and a baffle all in one to force heat to the edges, provide thermal mass and prevent flare-ups. I am now looking for a slightly larger, no longer good for cooking, CI skillet to use. I would like to find a skillet closer to 14" or so in diameter.

P3110099.jpg

Chickens sacrificed to see how they work, a few days ago a bunch of baby back ribs were also cooked on this setup. In both cases, once the heat was settled in (270F for chicken, 225F or so for ribs) it was rock solid for the entire cook.

P3110100.jpg

Chickens done with a rub of Todd's Dirt and my own medium grained top rub riffed off the Dirty Dalmation. One hour and 10 mins or so at 270F. These did not suck and served as proof of concept of my new modifications.

So, my top secret plan is to find some expanded metal, steel, no galvanizing or MSG, roll it around the inside of that fire grate and tie it down with steel wire, no galvanizing or MSG on wire either. Create a basket with a depth of about 3", or more if I can get away with it. I am also going to use threaded rod (not galvanized, no MSG) across the grate to get it off the vents. And I will be cruising the Goodwill looking for a 14" or 16" diameter cast iron griddle instead of using my chicken frying skillet. Although, the seasoning on that sucker is spectacular right now.

It would probably work better for you if you placed all of the "K"s up.

Interesting setup. How long do you think you can get on one load of fuel?

Ooops, I just saw your other thread where you mentioned you got 5 hours burn time with the ribs!:biggrin:

Hmm this is very interesting I like the setup. I'd definately like to see more of this in action. On that small pile of coals you got that long of a burn? I too use my kettle for everything and I'm gonna look into this more. Academy sells a square grill wok that would work I think as a charcoal basket.

Interesting - post pics of the final design. I'm wondering about your ability to still get an indirect effect in your cooks.

I'm thinking something like this for a charcoal basket?

412285e.jpg
The only issue I have with a grill wok like this is that I find ash evacuation could be better. It is good enough for sure. I like the ability to whack the side of the kettle and get the ash to fall through the grate.

Yes, I got 5 hours out of this setup, the photos here show the chicken cook, it ran for 2 hours. I needed more for 5 hours under ribs. But, I do believe I can get more with a larger fire basket. Bigabyte, I am really wanting to get 7 hours at 280F out of one basket, so I can do briskets and butts without grill gymnastics to add more coals, I really think I can get there. The biggest benefit so far, which was unexpected, is with the cast iron skillet thermal mass, this setup has been rock solid on holding temps. I hope this continues with the larger charcoal loads I am plannning.

Have you guys tried the baskets sold by webber that sit on either side of the kettle allowing room for a drip tray/water pan in the middle? I use a dual hinged grate (to allow adding coals or wood chips without having to lift the entire grate) and it has worked great for me for years. Many a brisket done on this setup....

I have a set of those and they work great. I am just looking to address a couple of ideas that kept working at me.

Have you guys tried the baskets sold by webber that sit on either side of the kettle allowing room for a drip tray/water pan in the middle? I use a dual hinged grate (to allow adding coals or wood chips without having to lift the entire grate) and it has worked great for me for years. Many a brisket done on this setup....

First...GREAT IDEA lando! Certainly going to give this a try.

I've done a number of cooks the way thomasjurisd describes and it's worked good...but I like the way this method looks and the thermal mass with the cast iron to help hold temps could be real beneficial.

I was just looking through harbor freight and they have a 3 pc cast iron set for 14.99. I could have sworn the large skillet was 14". They even had a dutch oven too
kris

Back