The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners(temp offline)
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2016, 01:10 AM   #1
Plumbcrazyone
Knows what a fatty is.

Exclamation Smoked Brisket Help

Just when I thought I was finally getting the hang of low and slow Brisket cooking I decided to cook one with out wrapping it for the finish The flat became probe tender before the point was finished. By the time the point was good the flat ended up about 8-10 degrees past probe tende, so it was a little on the fall apart side. Still damm tasty but frustrating. The bark was way, way better cooking it this way but how the heck do you get the point and flat to finish at the same time if you don't want to wrap it up? Maybe I should have pulled it and cut the point off and put it back on the smoker??? Additionally I failed to get a good thick smoke ring. It had great smoke flavor and was plenty juicy but It has a very skinny pink ring. I am curious to hear if this is normal or why it is that you don't always get a real thick smoke ring??? I cooked this with charcoal and bagged store bought chunk Hickory. Any advise is appreciated. Thanksimage.jpg

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-17-2016, 01:11 AM   #2
Plumbcrazyone
Knows what a fatty is.

image.jpg

Old 09-17-2016, 01:23 AM   #3
Rocky Branch BBQ
On the road to being a farker

You said " still damn tasty, it had great smoke flavor, and was plenty juicy"-- well that sounds pretty dadgum good. Frig the smoke ring. Why don't you tell us how you made all that happen? Sounds like a excellent smoke to me. You should be giving advice rather than looking for it.
Rocky Branch BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 01:27 AM   #4
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

Looks pretty freaking good from here.
Member of "THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"

KCBS CBJ #81419
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 02:01 AM   #5
Plumbcrazyone
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Branch BBQ View Post
You said " still damn tasty, it had great smoke flavor, and was plenty juicy"-- well that sounds pretty dadgum good. Frig the smoke ring. Why don't you tell us how you made all that happen? Sounds like a excellent smoke to me. You should be giving advice rather than looking for it.
This was.maybe the 8 or 9 th brisket I have ever cooked so I am definitely a beginner here. Trimmed seasoned and refrigerated last night. 50/50 mix of very course ground back pepper via spice/coffee grinder and kosher flake salt. Thin coat of ground paprika. Topped it off with moderately sprinkled Montreal steak seasoning. Lit the charcoal and 5-6 chunks of hickory at about 8 am this morning. Targeted 250-275f at the grill. Started checking for tenderness when the flat hit 197f. I think I should have pulled it then but let it go until the point was probe tender. 201f. 13lb brisket 10 hours on the Weber. Rested in the oven on a drying rack until flat cooled to 170f (about 1.5 hours). That's really about it. The bark was really, really awesome. i think the next one will come off the grill when the flat is tender. Remove the point and finish it on its own???

Old 09-17-2016, 05:11 AM   #6
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

To me it looks like a success!
10 hours for 13 lb @250/275F is preatty reasonable.
I have had always the opposite experience: always point first and flat second.
Are my briskets strange or not ?

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr
Enrico Brandizzi is online now   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2016, 05:21 AM   #7
Bigr314
Babbling Farker

Looks like a great brisket. My points are always done before the flat. I have never had a flat done first. I cook on a reverse flow stick burner, always a nice smoke ring. If you are getting great smoke flavor and the meat is juicy and getting some ring, i really do not see a problem. I am sure the experts will be on soon.
Shirley Fabrication 24x50 RF with warmer(Boss Hogg)

Tab Benoit- Must listen to this artist. A cross between southern blues,Stevie Ray, and Louisiana cajun. Great listening while having a brew and tending the stick burner.
Bigr314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 07:05 AM   #8
Big Swole
Full Fledged Farker

I think that Was a success!!!

I'd eat it!!!
-1970's Vintage Kadado Lrg. Egg - (Handed down from my late Grandfather)
-BGE Mini
Big Swole is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 07:22 AM   #9
I like Bigbutts
is one Smokin' Farker

I only hope I can serve a brisket one day that looks that bad......man oh man that is BEAUTIFUL.......aweome!!

Old 09-17-2016, 09:13 AM   #10
Plumbcrazyone
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico Brandizzi View Post
To me it looks like a success!
10 hours for 13 lb @250/275F is preatty reasonable.
I have had always the opposite experience: always point first and flat second.
Are my briskets strange or not ?
Yeah, I agree with you. When I probed the point end it did not feel as tender under the point where the flat continues under it. it was still really good. I guess I just need to keep practicing.

Old 09-17-2016, 09:32 AM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

In my opinion, across rather a lot of briskets, the point always renders slower than the flat. It gets soft faster, and goes probe tender faster, but, to really get the point to it's best texture takes 30 minutes to an hour longer than the flat does. I cook until the flat is on the ragged edge of being over-done. If I pick up the packer and it flops over, and the flat bends easily, then I figure I am done.

If I have cooked without a wrap, then at this point, if I need to hold it, I will wrap in paper and place in whatever holding device I have available. It turns out, this actually helps with texture.

In terms of smoke ring, that is an interaction between meat, salt, moisture in the cooker and the actual smoke. It's not really possible to control all of those elements. I don't put much stock in having that smoke ring. On the ever more frequent occasion that someone says 'well, you can tell a real smoked piece of meat by that smoke ring', I just smile and offer them a beer.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Stlsportster
Full Fledged Farker

Meathead says no smoke ring is necessary. That's just a chemical reaction but doesn't indicate smoke flavor.

http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_tech...moke_ring.html
Maverick ET-733
Thermopop (Red)

'I Like Pig Butts and I Cannot Lie'
Stlsportster is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2016, 12:41 PM   #13
Plumbcrazyone
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks all.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:19 PM   #14
lankster35
Full Fledged Farker

If you put your meat on while it is still cold(er) then it will most likely have a larger smoke ring.......not sure what you did with this one as far as putting on the smoker cold or let it sit out for a while.

Old 09-17-2016, 06:41 PM   #15
Westx
On the road to being a farker

One thing you didn't mention is was the point toward the heat or away from it. Alway place the point toward the heat source. That brisket looks fantastic.