• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Spice Matrix

bigabyte

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I was digging through some old folders/files and ran across this. Thought maybe someone out there might find it useful if they are somewhat new and trying to formulate their own rub. That is what started this little file for me anyways.

It is a matrix of spices, indicating which ones go together well. An "X" where the columns and rows meet means these spices go together.

To get a good use out of it, filter on one of the columns to see what other spices go with it. For example, along the top click the filter drop-down for "Basil", and then select "X". This will then filter the list down to just those spices that go well with Basil. Perhaps you had using both Basil and Garlic in mind. In that case, after you filtered for Basil, also go to the Garlic column and select "X" there, and you will then see only spices that go with both Basil and Garlic. You can keep doing this for any number of spices, so long as they go together of course.

A lot of the flavor compatibilities were taken from the book "Herbs & Spices" by Jill Norman. A few others were filled in by me personally from my experiences with cooking. I don't believe that ALL possibilities for mixing flavors were presented in that book. If you see some combinations you feel work well together that are missing here, simply fill in the space with an X on your own downloaded version of this file, and "voila", those spices are now compatible in your version of the file.

Again, not sure if anyone will find this useful, but thought I would share it since I have not found myself using it much. The effort spent creating it needs to be worthwhile somehow, so perhaps sharing is the answer.

Attachments

• Spice_Matrix.xls
    56.5 KB · Views: 217
Thanks Chris. Pretty cool but started getting dizzy looking at it too long. (flashback?)

Thanks for all of the hard work. This will become an extremely useful tool within my arsenal of cooking.

Thanks Chris, that's a great resource. Very kind of you to share it.

That is pretty cool excel document to have around.
thanks

Wow! I got dizzy just thinking about it. Awesome work. I'm gonna Park that tool for sure.

Hey guys. Not knowing everyone's experience w/ Excel, here's something that may help reading this.

Select Row 1 (place your cursor over the left most column, the 1) and left click with your mouse.
Right click on that same location and select Format Cells.
Select the Alignment tab.
Set vertical to Top.
Click on the next diamond on Orientation (most likely at the 3:00 position - 0 degrees). Degrees should now read -45.
The sheet should be easier to read.

Hope this helps. Thanks for the sheet big.

Thanks Chris. Pretty cool but started getting dizzy looking at it too long. (flashback?)

Back