sliced meat catering

B

Buster Dog BBQ

I have someone come to me and asked about catering a party. They preferred sliced meat opposed to pulled or chopped.

That leaves brisket, ham, pork loin and what else?

I am trying to figure a price per head here on each one but don't know the yield of a ham ork pork loin.

If I had to guess brisket yields about 1/4 lb person and can serve maybe 20-25 from an average brisket one sandwich. Pork loin I can get maybe 40 sandwiches from and maybe the same with ham.

Am I somewhat close on that? Other suggestions for sliced meat?

Thanks.

Do whole ribeyes either as ribeye sandwich, or you can cook it along futher to make roast beef out of it. Little more expensive but pretty good eating. I did it at the last function we held at the church.

beef tenderloin if they have deep pockets. Great with horsey sauce on a good yeast roll. Prime rib, eye of the round. These are just in addition to the tri-tip siggestion.

Pork loin makes a great sammy or entree. A little rub and sauce. Or stuffed.

Great ideas. Thanks guys. I totally spaced off the stuff like turkey.

I see a lot of tri-tip sliced sandwiches out here, maybe the most popular item in CA. I think 1/4 lb per serving is reasonable as well. I happen to like sliced pork loin sandwiches as well.

If you have tri-tip where you are that is great grub. I carmelize onions w/brown sugar & mushrooms and serve that on the tri-tip on nice rolls and a little mayo.

try a big ol boneless beef shoulder clod (about 20 lbs ea). slices great and taste even better.

you have some good ideas from experienced cooks, watch your internal meat temps, top round I pull off at 122 to 128*, pork loin and turkey breast pull out at 160* boston butts for slicing remove at 185* but let all rest for several hours before slicing..make em nice and thin!

I've cooked pork loins for out office a couple of times. I usually ask the secretary to pick up 2 pork loins, each at least 7 lbs each or a total of 14 lbs minimum. The first time she bought them, it was almost exactly 14 lbs of raw meat.

We have 40 people in the office and I can get 40 slices out of each loin, but I can't tell you how much the sandwich weighed. I can tell you that 2 slices made a nice sandwich.

Whole top sirloin. I do a lot of these at wedding buffet carving stations. They're cheap (~$3-$5/lb), yield is pretty good (about 80% after trimming, with little moisture loss during cooking), and the flavour is very nice. Best of all - they're very juicy and they're really tender. The perfect carved beef.
Really, they're only a bit less tender than prime rib, at half the cost.
The other nice thing is that there is a muscle on it - culotte I think. It's similar to Tri Tip in size and grain structure. But after the whole sirloin is cooked, this muscle carves off nicely and tends to be a little more well done than the rest of the roast. So if I'm cooking the whole sirloin to 125, and someone wants it more well done, I just slice them a piece off this muscle, which is lying on the side of my cutting board.

Back