The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Unread 03-19-2010, 12:16 AM   #1
Svenmac
Knows what a fatty is.

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Turn in at a backyard contest

There is a contest coming up here a little later in the spring around here and its a backyard contest. Has anyone here done a backyard? How do you turn in your meat. Is it like a KCBS box or something else?

Thanks for the info
Svenmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 04:20 AM   #2
Crash
is One Chatty Farker

Out here in AZ, they let Professional teams also do BY contests. We've done 2 BY's and are doing our third this weekend. In AZ, presentation is a big factor. BY turn-ins can be presented in almost any manner as long as it can be carried to the judges by one person. For those that dont want to get fancy, styro boxes are provided.

I know that BY turn-ins are done differently depending on the venue/organizer.

Best of luck to you.

Unread 03-19-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
wickedbbq'r
Full Fledged Farker

We did a backyard before. The categories were ribs, chicken, and chefs choice. The ribs and chicken turn-ins followed the KCBS format. For the chefs choice you could use any garnish you wanted to, and submit your entry in the KCBS box or your own container or platter. When it comes to backyard contests, it really depends on the individual organizer or contest. GOOD LUCK and have FUN!
1-22" & 1-18" WSM
1-22" Weber Performer
Splash-Proof Super-Fast Orange Thermapen
wickedbbq'r is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 08:21 AM   #4
Svenmac
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks for the advice. Just trying to get my feet wet and test hte water before I just in with the sharks
Svenmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 09:50 AM   #5
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

Since there is no sanctioning body for the backyard contests every one is different, so you should check with the organizer to see how they want things turned in.

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 03-19-2010, 11:06 AM   #6
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

^^^^ What Cap'n Ron said. Every backyard comp is different. Some allow garnish,
some dont. You'll want to ask the organizer. Even then, be prepared for a last-minute
change; it's been known to happen...