oink
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #1
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Default Some pics from the Dublin Contest

My wife and I judged this contest yesterday it was the season opener for the GBA. I am going to judge one more then throw my hat in the cookin ring for the rest of the season.

www.57smokehouse.blogspot.com/
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]

Last edited by Alan in Ga; 11-20-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 02:56 PM   #2
Just Pulin' Pork
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for posting the pics of the contest. Its amazing how you see people doing this and get the itch to compete yourself. Remember to have fun that is the most important part!
Just Pulin' Pork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #3
thillin
somebody shut me the fark up.

2nd to last pic has a Land and UDS. Brethren?
Mini BGE-adopted 1/31/08 CL Score
Traeger 075-adopted 12/3/11 CL Score
Weber 1 touch CL Score
Weber Spirit 500 CL Score
Weber Smokey Joe Silver CL Score
BLUE & RED Thermapens
Klose 20x42-SOLD

Paddlin Pigs BBQ
Ty
thillin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-07-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

I found no brethren at ths contest

Old 03-07-2010, 07:53 PM   #6
Gowan
is One Chatty Farker

I still can't figure out where (or if) the GBA fits into the picture in our state. So far as I can tell, it's primarly populated by the South Georgia "Memphis" cooks when there there is no MBN contest that weekend.

Maybe you can clue me in. Why was a need felt for creating the GBA? What niche does it fill that isn't covered by KCBS, MBN or FBA?
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 09:24 PM   #7
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CivilWarBBQ View Post
I still can't figure out where (or if) the GBA fits into the picture in our state. So far as I can tell, it's primarly populated by the South Georgia "Memphis" cooks when there there is no MBN contest that weekend.

Maybe you can clue me in. Why was a need felt for creating the GBA? What niche does it fill that isn't covered by KCBS, MBN or FBA?

Dont know why they created it, but they got 40+ teams to show up in Dublin this past weekend. Not a bad turn out. I like cooking the GBA style. I like the cheaper meat bill than a KCBS or FBA and I like the finals style judging. I also like the all pork aspect of it.
DawgPhan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2010, 11:21 PM   #8
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

We are an up and coming sanctioning group in our 3rd year look at us as the new kids on the block. We had 42 teams for the season opener and we are very proud of our group of teams and judges. Remember we all had to start somewhere and we are young. There was also a contest in Macon this weekend(I have no idea who sanctioned) and they had a good turn out also. GBA is a growing force in the southeast and would not surprise me to see it go out of state like FBA. I see MBN and KCBS judges on a regular basis at our contest.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:53 AM   #9
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan in Ga View Post
We are an up and coming sanctioning group in our 3rd year look at us as the new kids on the block. We had 42 teams for the season opener and we are very proud of our group of teams and judges. Remember we all had to start somewhere and we are young. There was also a contest in Macon this weekend(I have no idea who sanctioned) and they had a good turn out also. GBA is a growing force in the southeast and would not surprise me to see it go out of state like FBA. I see MBN and KCBS judges on a regular basis at our contest.

How is Dublin the start of the season when the Team of the year goes back to September? Dublin was just the first contest of 2010, right? There have already been 4 contests this season, right?
DawgPhan is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #10
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Yeah meant for the 2010 year you are right

Old 03-08-2010, 02:01 PM   #11
Gowan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
Dont know why they created it, but they got 40+ teams to show up in Dublin this past weekend. Not a bad turn out. I like cooking the GBA style. I like the cheaper meat bill than a KCBS or FBA and I like the finals style judging. I also like the all pork aspect of it.
OK, but if you want to cook all pork with MBN style judging, why not just have an MBN contest? I guess I don't see where GBA fills a need not already met by existing sanctioning bodies. The only unique factor I can see they offer is a pork loin category, and that's a grilling meat, not barbecue. (Of course you could argue that so are chicken thighs).

Old 03-08-2010, 06:21 PM   #12
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Our judging is'nt MBN it's KCBS blind judging

Old 03-08-2010, 10:12 PM   #13
Gowan
is One Chatty Farker

OK, I'll meet you halfway on that point - GBA blind box isn't exactly the same as MBN or KCBS. As I understand it, they've dropped the onsite presentation but kept the two tier judging system. Though it's not clear from the GBA website whether a second round of turnin boxes are prepared or if the original box is re-judged. And no garnish allowed, so that differs from KCBS too.

I guess I'm going to have to attend one of these to see it for myself. Finding a GBA event in the northern part of the state isn't easy though.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

GBA, for fledgling, is doing fairly well. Honestly, no matter how you slice n dice it,
the tiebreakers in ANY sanctioning body just suck (they're random, one type or
another). I rather like the 2nd turn in because it gives them a chance to truly rank
them.

Yeah, the pork loin piece is a tad strange. I personally would've preferred brisket,
but what the heck. I think this came mostly from Lonnie, who happens to do
pork VERY VERY well. That, and brisket ain't from 'round here... :-)

Alan, we may see you guys at the GBA contest at GON in Macon. We missed last
year; were RGC 2 years back. That one, on the black asphalt, is hotter'n blue hades.
This year will be more a matter of money. We'll have just hosted our 4th of July
party and have the Lake Oconee KCBS cookoff and probably the Milledgeville cookoff
in October. We'll see if we can't slide/fit this one in.
Started competing in chili cookoffs back in the 1990's and have competed in more than I care to count. I became a CBJ in MiM in 2005, then MBN and in GBA in 2010. I've probably judged 130+- BBQ comps (sanctioned and unsanctioned) over this time. That said, I really enjoy competing more than I enjoy judging, and hope to get back to doing 4 or 5 a year in the near future.
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2010, 10:22 AM   #15
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Alan, looks like you could judge in Thomasville then make our Hazlehurst comp on May 14-15 your first.

www.hazlehurstbbqfest.com

Jim
olewarthog is offline   Reply With Quote