MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-06-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Default Memphis style sauce

Anyone have a recipe for a Memphis sauce that's an authentic representation of the style?
ZILLA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 05:33 PM   #2
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

Look on here they have some stuff, I go here just to look I guess!
http://memphis.about.com/od/barbecue/p/memphisbbq.htm
BRBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM   #3
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks BR, I've seen this before and they don't have all that much info, plus I wanted a tried and true recipe from a cooker. I really don't have too much faith in the "About" website. Their knowlege is about 100 miles wide and one inch deep. I appreciate the input bro!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:09 PM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

I am not sure if this is authentic or not, but it is pretty darn good on pulled pork and is very easy to make.

Memphis Magic BBQ Sauce

A sweet, vinegary Memphis style sauce. Recipe from Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison
2 1/2 cups (change servings and units)
Ingredients
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup minced onion
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup tomato sauce
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne
1 dash Tabasco sauce
Directions
1Cook onions in butter until soft and golden.
2Add everything else. Bring mixture to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until thick, stirring frequently.
3Puree in blender or food processor when cool.
4Serve warmed up.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

My Beale Street Red and Wet is a throwback to that taste.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:51 PM   #6
MemphisQ
On the road to being a farker

As far a sauces in Memphis style BBQ there is no real goto sauce. Sauce in Memphis is more like an after thought. memphis style dry ribs are the most popular style of ribs in town. Every BBQ joint has a sauce, normally an original and a hot version. But it is used mostly on the side for dippin' purposes.

You can also get wet ribs in Memphis with sauce on them but it is usually a house vinegar based sauce. The recipe above sounds like a sauce you would find. Neeley's BBQ (from Memphis) has a good sauce (show on the food channel). "Corkey's BBQ" and "The Rendezvous" are landmark Memphis BBQ restaurant's. They both have websites where you can order their products.

Corkey's tried to franchise their restaurant's and failed badly. There was one in Springfield MO and Harrison AR and they both were not even close to the original's. If you are ever in Memphis you really need to try these. I make better ribs(my wife's opinion!lol) but these two places are worth the trip. "The Rendezvous" is an experience in just how the restaurant operates. It is something special.
MemphisQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2010, 06:52 PM   #7
MemphisQ
On the road to being a farker

Oh. I personally like Stubb's Original BBQ sauce. It is from South Texas. If I made a sauce I would want it to taste just like Stubb's.
MemphisQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-06-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Saiko
is Blowin Smoke!

This is from Paul Kirk's "Championship Barbeque Sauces" book. Most of his recipes don't have liquid smoke, but for whatever reason this one does. I'd probably just omit it.

Memphis-Style Barbeque Sauce
1 32 oz. bottle ketchup
1 cup brown sugar, packed
1/2 cup prepared yellow mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup chili powder
2 TBSP liquid smoke
1 TBSP black pepper
1 TBSP Worcestershire sauce
1 TBSP garlic salt
2 tsp Tabasco sauce
1 tsp celery salt

Combine all the ingredients in a non reactive saucepan, and blend well. Place the mixture over medium heat and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. This sauce will keep for several weeks in an airtight jar in the refrigerator.
"Zed's dead, baby. Zed's dead."
Saiko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 07:48 PM   #9
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Memphis style - sweet and vinegar.

Take KC Masterpiece and thin it with ACV and you've got a good starting point.
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 07:52 PM   #10
Grinder10
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemphisQ View Post
As far a sauces in Memphis style BBQ there is no real goto sauce. Sauce in Memphis is more like an after thought. memphis style dry ribs are the most popular style of ribs in town. Every BBQ joint has a sauce, normally an original and a hot version. But it is used mostly on the side for dippin' purposes.

You can also get wet ribs in Memphis with sauce on them but it is usually a house vinegar based sauce. The recipe above sounds like a sauce you would find. Neeley's BBQ (from Memphis) has a good sauce (show on the food channel). "Corkey's BBQ" and "The Rendezvous" are landmark Memphis BBQ restaurant's. They both have websites where you can order their products.

Corkey's tried to franchise their restaurant's and failed badly. There was one in Springfield MO and Harrison AR and they both were not even close to the original's. If you are ever in Memphis you really need to try these. I make better ribs(my wife's opinion!lol) but these two places are worth the trip. "The Rendezvous" is an experience in just how the restaurant operates. It is something special.
BBQ is certainly a matter of opinion. That being said, I live about six blocks from the Rendevous (just one block from the location of the World Championship of BBQ in May , my favorite week of the year) and stopped going there ten years ago. Corky's is also very average. Both are very well known and have long waits to eat there, but I believe that they survive on reputation alone. Although dry ribs are available at most places in Memphis, they really are a Rendevous specialty. I would say the best BBQ joints in Memphis are (in no particular order) Blues City Cafe for ribs, Central BBQ for everything, The BBQ Shop for ribs and sandwich, and The Germantown Commissary for pulled pork and ribs. This is just my opinion as ymmv.

I've lived in Memphis for more than 20 years so I have a bit of a hard time describing a good Memphis because that is pretty much all I use/make and I'm used to the different flavors that each place has to offer. I haven't gotten around to trying the Memphis Magic Sauce yet, but I have made Neely's Sauce before. The recipe is on foodnetwork.com and it is pretty good. Although Corky's food is average, I would say that their sauce is a good representation of the "Memphis style". It should be available for purchase online if you would like to make your own and try to copy the flavor profile.

If I've stepped on anyone's toes I would like to apologize in advance. I've been drinking beer and Q'ing all afternoon.
Grinder10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #11
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

NOOOO, drinking beer and 'queing all afternoon, say it ain't so, you degenerate.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 09:13 PM   #12
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Thanks everyone for the input. I have several recipes to start out with and these will keep me busy for a while. Thanks again everyone!!!

Old 03-06-2010, 09:18 PM   #13
weadjust
Knows what a fatty is.

Corky's BBQ sauce is sold in the gallon size at my Sam's Club in Tupelo, MS.
Cost is about $7.00 a gallon.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=190783
weadjust is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2010, 09:28 PM   #14
ZILLA
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
My Beale Street Red and Wet is a throwback to that taste.

I'll work on the translation in the morning after the Abe Lincoln has worn off.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM   #15
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZILLA View Post
I'll work on the translation in the morning after the Abe Lincoln has worn off.
You been eating Pennies again?
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote