The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:57 AM   #1
Brew-B-Q
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Tastes like....parsley

I decided to smoke some chicken breasts this weekend to mix things up a bit, and I helped my wife build her first parsley box. I sliced the chicken breast and put it in the box, with the intention of letting it rest about 20 minutes before sampling. I may have waited 30 minutes, or a bit longer, as I was working on some ribs too. Anyways, when I tried the chicken, it was good, moist, but the bottom tasted like damn parsley. Has anyone experienced this? Granted, it won't sit in a box for that long, but I've never even smelled the parsley. Maybe I just had a real pungent bunch or something. The bottom of the chicken breast didn't have much rub or sauce either, so that could be part of the problem.
Brew-B-Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #2
topchefvt52
Knows what a fatty is.

My take: the heat of the chicken released the aromatic component of the parsley. If I were doing a turn in, I'd wait till the last minute before placing the chicken in the box.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Capn Kev
is one Smokin' Farker

Try spraying your parsley bed with just a very very small amount of canola oil...don't use Pam, but use cooking oil in a spritzer. Trick is to leave just enough so it doesn't create an obvious visible oil layer, but enough to prevent flavor transfer from the parsley. It also will prevent sticking.
FEC-100, REC TEC Grill, WSM 22.5", UDS, KCBS CBJ #54829
Capn Kev is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-01-2010, 04:55 PM   #4
deena
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Parsley

Yes this has been a problem in PNWBA - many of the teams that do a bed of parsley have this problem or the parsley comes with the chicken when the judges take it out of the box. I only use lettuce for my chicken entries. No unwanted flavor and no hangers on. :)
deena is offline   Reply With Quote