The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.

Forum Portal Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Brethren Banners
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, Equipment and just outdoor cookin' in general, hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures... but stay on topic. And watch for that hijacking.

Unread 02-26-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Default Popdaddy (Funk) Needs Help

Okay y'all Popdaddy has been pushed in a corner. Out of all the smoking I have done I have never done but a few hams. I do not like doing hams because people have for so long had their taste buds set to factory hams its hard to satisfy them with something more "real."

Well a nice lady that works for the Dickinson Educational Foundation has asked me to smoke 100. Now I am trying to get a teaching job so this would be a good thing to show that I support my community's educational goals and likewise can get me a job.

So, thing is, I need a good recipe from a caterer that has done more than, say 20 at a time. Preferably on an offset but other pits will do as long as they are big. I will be doing a BRINED UNCOOKED BONE IN HAM.

PLEASE NO RECIPES FOR DOUBLE COOKED HAMS since I am not doing that.

Unread 02-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

I use the KISS method on my hams and they get devoured. Coat them with apple butter wrap them up and store in the fridge over night. See I said it was the KISS method.

Unread 02-26-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

Funk, are you talking about taking raw hams and doing the cure and smoking, or getting hams that are cured and soaking then cooking? Just to clarify that Point.

Whip It Off, Chambers!

"perhaps...but then again...maybe not..."
landarc is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
I use the KISS method on my hams and they get devoured. Coat them with apple butter wrap them up and store in the fridge over night. See I said it was the KISS method.

Good but 100 RAW hams stored in the fridge? I don't get how this tells me what temp and how long to cook 100 raw hams and what to watch for?

Unread 02-27-2010, 08:27 AM   #5
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
Funk, are you talking about taking raw hams and doing the cure and smoking, or getting hams that are cured and soaking then cooking? Just to clarify that Point.
100 raw brined bone in hams. You can see its up there, so they will be ready to cook. A Brined Ham will not have to be soaked, That is the process of brining in a nutshell.

Unread 02-27-2010, 09:38 AM   #6
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Popdaddy,

Have you looked at Dr. Chickens Double Smoked in the Brethren Recipe section?
Smokin' Bucky UDS
Weber Q100, Weber Q200
1983 WGA Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe

Last edited by Bluesman; 02-27-2010 at 09:39 AM.. Reason: Spelling
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 4

(he said hes not double smoking it. last sentence in his original post)

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Klose built MoAB (Mother of All Banderas) passed on to Big Dog, 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 1 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 1 Pit Barrel Cooker, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 09:50 AM   #8
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
(he said hes not double smoking it. last sentence in his original post)

OOPS
Smokin' Bucky UDS
Weber Q100, Weber Q200
1983 WGA Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Snap-On Wrench Smokey Joe
Bluesman is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 09:58 AM   #9
Ginger
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hallo Funky oneee! Das ist eine Menge von Schinken! Wenn ich koche Rohschinken ich in der Regel geben sie eine liberale Beschichtung von Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan und Stevie Nicks und dann sitzen in der Bass-Drum über Nacht. Dann in den Morgen spülen Sie ihn mit Beyoncee und streicht es mit Jessica Simpson, bis ich nicht sehen kann das Fleisch nicht mehr. Dann gebe ich es eine schnelle Trommelwirbel und steckte es in die Pauken auf 275 Schläge für ca. 30 Takte pro Maßnahme. Sobald es getan habe, schneiden sie mit meiner Leitung und Nieselregen sie mit einer Sauce von Little Richard, Bare Naked Ladies und nur ein bisschen von Sugar Ray gemacht. Ich in der Regel garniert sie mit einigen Maryann, Frau Howell und einem Hauch von Gilligan.

Vergessen Sie nicht, ein schönes Glas Professor mit ihr gehen!

Schweine und Küsse!

Ginger!
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:07 AM   #10
Three porks
Full Fledged Farker

Translation from babelfish.....I think we need one for popdaddy to english...lol

Hello Funky oneee! That is a quantity of ham! If I raw ham I cook usually give it a liberal coating of Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan and Stevie Nicks and then sit in the bass Drum over night. Then in the mornings you rinse it with Beyoncee and paint it with Jessica Simpson, to I not to see can the meat no longer. Then I give it fast drum rolls and put it into the bass drums on 275 impacts for approx. 30 clocks per measure. As soon as it did, they cut them with my line and drizzle with a Sauce made by Little Richard, cash Naked Ladies and only a little from Sugar Ray. I garniert usually it with some Maryann, Mrs. Howell and a breath of Gilligan. Do not forget, a beautiful glass professor with it go! Pigs and kisses! Ginger!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Hallo Funky oneee! Das ist eine Menge von Schinken! Wenn ich koche Rohschinken ich in der Regel geben sie eine liberale Beschichtung von Duke Ellington, Sarah Vaughan und Stevie Nicks und dann sitzen in der Bass-Drum über Nacht. Dann in den Morgen spülen Sie ihn mit Beyoncee und streicht es mit Jessica Simpson, bis ich nicht sehen kann das Fleisch nicht mehr. Dann gebe ich es eine schnelle Trommelwirbel und steckte es in die Pauken auf 275 Schläge für ca. 30 Takte pro Maßnahme. Sobald es getan habe, schneiden sie mit meiner Leitung und Nieselregen sie mit einer Sauce von Little Richard, Bare Naked Ladies und nur ein bisschen von Sugar Ray gemacht. Ich in der Regel garniert sie mit einigen Maryann, Frau Howell und einem Hauch von Gilligan.

Schweine und Küsse!

Ginger!
Three porks is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:14 AM   #11
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Hey Donnie...I hope this helps... http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ect+picnic+ham You might consider smokin' them hot-n-fast in pans with 50/50 apple juice and water for moisture (about a cup per 1/2 pan) I'd cook them to 180-190 for slicing or about 4 hours @ 325-350. I really like the sop I used too...it made the ham IMO...good luck brother...

Oops...I just realized you wanted advice from someone who has done 20 at a time...that would not be me...but the above procedure should still apply...
Northwest BBQ Society
We cook on MAK Grills , Big Poppa Drum Smokers, & WSM's
Proudly sponsored by Big Poppa Smokers, Kosmo's Q, Simply Marvelous BBQ, and MAK Grills
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:15 AM   #12
SmokeInDaEye
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post

Schweine und Küsse!

Ginger!
You know some famous folks, german lady. Funk, I'm not a ham expert but I can almost guarantee that if you cook it at 225-250 to 185 internal or so and mop/glaze it a couple times it'd be awesome. Treat it like a pork shoulder with a little less fat. You really can't f@ck up pork too bad and can always remoisturize with some apple juice and apple cider if you do!
Gen II Komodo Kamado, Pit Barrel Cooker, 3x 18.5" WSMs, 22.5" WSM, modified 18.5" Weber Kettle, 22.5" Weber Kettle circa 1960ish, Weber One Touch Platinum, copper Weber Smokey Joe, La Caja China, Bubba Keg, Bodom Picnic Grill, Weber Genesis
SmokeInDaEye is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #13
Ron_L

Downloads: 1

This isn't to the scale that you need, but here is a good article from The Dizzy Pig web site. He started with a green ham (no cure) so you can skip that part, but the cooking info may help.

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/recipesHam.html

Unwrap me!
Smoke me!
Eat me!

The Naked Fatty!

FEC-100/BWS Party/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Nomad Pellet-matic/Good-One Model 42/WSM X 2/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Gasser (RIP)/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/UDS/Coffee Roasting Gasser

Remembering a friend
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #14
Brewmaster
is One Chatty Farker

I do pretty many hams. I have never done 100 of them. But they are pretty simple. Here are a couple I've done.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=48035

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=34117

I cook them at 250 degrees for about 15-20 minutes a lb. I was taking them to 150-155 internal but, now I only go to 145. Much better result. Typically a 25lb ham will take about 7-8 hours.

I don't glaze anymore either. Just makes more of a mess and does not add that much flavor. I let the pork flavor stand up on its own.

Hope this helps.

Save some for me.

Nate
Weber Ranch Kettle
BBQ070 (Lil Tex)
BBQ075 (Texas)
UDS
Brewmaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2010, 12:46 PM   #15
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Good but 100 RAW hams stored in the fridge? I don't get how this tells me what temp and how long to cook 100 raw hams and what to watch for?
My mistake, wont happen again.