Fec 100 help

Jacked UP BBQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I just picked up a used fec100 and will start the season off cooking on it. I was wondering if anyone on here would be willing to tell me how they put there meat on it and certain hot spots? I will have no time to mess around with it before the year kicks off. How many butts can you put on a shelf and briskets? Would two briskets, four butts amd four racks of ribs be over loaded? Please help!!!!!!:sad:

There is a thread around here somewhere about how many butts fit in an FEC. I must not be using the right search terms because I came up empty. Of course it depends on how big the butts are, but two or three per shelf should be easy. With smaller butts I have fit four on a shelf but I don't know if a full load of four per shelf would restrict airflow too much.

Each shelf can hold two average size packers and without rib racks five racks of average ribs.

So, four butts, two briskets and four racks should be fine.

As far as hot spots, do the biscuit test on yours to see, but in general I think the bottom shelf is hottest since it gets radiated heat from the deflector. Then the top shelf is next with the middle two being pretty close. Also, I have found that the side closest to the exhaust runs a little hotter than the other side.

go to the cookshack forum. They have maps of the temps in each area of each rack, loads, etc. they are a great bunch of help. I would make that my home for a while and learn all there is to know.

I've only cooked on ours 3 times before it went to my brothers, but the time I used it to cook a lot, I had 15 butts on it and could have gotten 16. Compared to the BWS, that amount of cold food didn't phase it. I was able to cook them at 300* without problem.

So your comp load won't hinder the temps - but I can't answer in regards to smoke flow for comp if that's part of the question.

Ron nailed the profile - mine is like that also. But a couple questions: 1. is yours an IQ4 or Traeger controller? Do you have the 4 rack or 7 rack set up inside?

If I remember the ad, it was only a year old, so it would be IQ4.

Contest cooks two briskets on their own shelves
Two butts above that a full size pan catching the drippings and
starting out with a inch of water

Matt, I would try and get all those big cuts off, before you start on ribs. Way easier as well. Gives you plenty of room for the ribs if you just start big cuts earlier and foil them earlier and hold them in a Cambro.

I do 2 butts over 2 shelves of briskets.

Hope that helps.

Thanks guys and gals, I hate to pull my meat early, Maybe I will just use it for the big meats and bring the little backwoods for ribs. I have cambros, for just in case! I try to never cambro, not sure why, I just don't like to!!!

I've only used mine to cook spares (so far) and have used the Cookshack rib rack (holds 12) fully loaded.

My sense is that the left side of the box is a bit hotter, due to the lower drip pan placement. I now rotate my rib rack 180 o half way thru the cook.

I've only used mine to cook spares (so far) and have used the Cookshack rib rack (holds 12) fully loaded.

My sense is that the left side of the box is a bit hotter, due to the lower drip pan placement. I now rotate my rib rack 180 o half way thru the cook.

All this rotation everyone is talking about and moving around, kind of makes me wonder about the whole set it and forget statement?

go to the cookshack forum. They have maps of the temps in each area of each rack, loads, etc. they are a great bunch of help. I would make that my home for a while and learn all there is to know.

Smokn' I just did some searching on the CS FEC forums for the temp maps you refer to and came up empty. Any chance you have a link or specific location of this thread?

Much obliged.

Back