The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:20 PM   #31
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I start my BBQ sauce by building a flavor base of vinegar and spices, and then reducing the vinegar by as much as 3/4. This creates a heavily spiced reduction. It creates both sour and sweet flavors without getting that burned taste that a long boil with sugar can create. From there, I add both sweeteners and raw vinegar to build both flavor and proper viscosity. In this way, I get cleaner sweet and sour flavors as well as thorough spice infusion and control over all aspects of the sauce. I like to use whole fresh chile peppers at the end of the reduction for infusion of heat.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less

SSS
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 01:41 PM   #32
Bluesman
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You're problem with vinegar (I'm guessing) is that you are not enjoying the taste. Get some good vinegar. Most vinegar, especially the white stuff you get at the store, tastes like pure crap. If your store has a health food section, or if you have a Whole Foods or something like that in your area, go look for a kind of apple cider vinegar labeled as organic, and is either cloudy or has some stuff settled on the bottom of the bottle. You'll be glad you did.

I use this for my Carolina Pork Sauce. Bragg unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Can be had in most larger chain stores and online. Is this a post pump

Link:
http://bragg.com/products/bragg-orga...r-vinegar.html
Weber Q200
1983 WGA
Early 70's Red Weber Statesman
Late 1960's Avacado Weber metal handle
1995 Red Weber Master Touch
2010 Brick Red Touch n' Go Performer
Bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 PM   #33
devious
is one Smokin' Farker

so are we all mopping now? or not. i got lost somewhere in the middle of this thread.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:02 PM   #34
pahutchens
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigabyte View Post
You're problem with vinegar (I'm guessing) is that you are not enjoying the taste. Get some good vinegar. Most vinegar, especially the white stuff you get at the store, tastes like pure crap. If your store has a health food section, or if you have a Whole Foods or something like that in your area, go look for a kind of apple cider vinegar labeled as organic, and is either cloudy or has some stuff settled on the bottom of the bottle. You'll be glad you did.
The folks a Cook's Illustrated did a taste testing recently of Apple Cider Vinegar

I haven't used Vinegar often and I seldom mop.
I will occasionally mark my territory (spraying)
#5 Kamado refurbished 'the Copper top'
[COLOR="navy"]Blue 'like my Smoke' Thermapen[/COLOR]
IMBAS certified MOINK! baller, KCBS MCBJ & CTC
pahutchens is offline   Reply With Quote